Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

Good job on re-signing Leno.  I think bringing back McCain makes sense, if only because we’ll have some continuity back there.  It would be a hole filled pre-draft and he can be an adequate placeholder for a young guy.  McKissick was hugely important to Heinicke, but I think he’s a difference maker regardless of the qb (including his pass pro) - particularly a young guy that can feel comfortable dumping the ball off for plus plays.

Gotta extend McLaurin of course.  I think it’s going to be interesting to see what they do with Payne.

Do they consider an extension for Flowers/Sweitzer or Io?  The latter may depend on what they do with Payne and Settle… Would be great to have 4/5 of the oline signed for the next 2-3 years, even if we’ll need to sort out the depth.

I’ve always had the sense Scherff’s issue (in terms of the large contract offered previously) was almost certainly about the guaranteed money.  I’d think he’s a good candidate to let test FA and ask for the chance to match/beat an offer - I think it would be a bit of a slap in the face to make another offer for less than the initial offer, but he’s also (health-wise) shown he’s not worth setting the market for.

Team could still use some pieces/upgrades/depth of course, but it’s shaping up to be a fairly complete team going into the draft aside from QB and MLB.

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Good job on re-signing Leno.  I think bringing back McCain makes sense, if only because we’ll have some continuity back there.  It would be a hole filled pre-draft and he can be an adequate placeholder for a young guy.  McKissick was hugely important to Heinicke, but I think he’s a difference maker regardless of the qb (including his pass pro) - particularly a young guy that can feel comfortable dumping the ball off for plus plays.

Gotta extend McLaurin of course.  I think it’s going to be interesting to see what they do with Payne.

Do they consider an extension for Flowers/Sweitzer or Io?  The latter may depend on what they do with Payne and Settle… Would be great to have 4/5 of the oline signed for the next 2-3 years, even if we’ll need to sort out the depth.

I’ve always had the sense Scherff’s issue (in terms of the large contract offered previously) was almost certainly about the guaranteed money.  I’d think he’s a good candidate to let test FA and ask for the chance to match/beat an offer - I think it would be a bit of a slap in the face to make another offer for less than the initial offer, but he’s also (health-wise) shown he’s not worth setting the market for.

Team could still use some pieces/upgrades/depth of course, but it’s shaping up to be a fairly complete team going into the draft aside from QB and MLB.

Flowers is a clear extension candidate. He went for the big money last time around and it didn't end up well for him. I hope he realizes he has a good thing going here with Matsko. If they can get him resigned to a sub-10M AAV contract like 3 years $24M, that would be solid value. I would try to resign Schweitzer too to a long term deal at a lower AAV. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

He said in his long statement that he’s getting season ending injury 

I Had not seen that only heard that he would need to first clear waivers (which is fairly inevitable) before being free to sign elsewhere

2 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Having left the Buccs who are you suggesting? I'm asking as an inveterate gambler!

The Packers. Davante Adams was sad because OBJ passed them by for the Rams, now Davante can have a bigger headcase. Plus AB and AR can trade plans on how to avoid Covid protocols.

CMC is a tricky situation what a talent, just rarely ever healthy

I can’t even decide if it’s an attractive weapon for a QB to want to come and play with, on one hand he can do it all on the other there’s gonna be a LOT of handing off the ball

Attractive though it may be to pursue a trade, I’d pass purely on health

Really good guy...

"You want to be with the team that wants you," Leno Jr. said. "This is the team that sought after me."

"I know there could've been options out there, but I took this one because I've got faith in the direction we're going," Leno Jr. said. "Faith is believing without seeing. It may look like this year was not the best year, but I definitely have faith in the direction we're going."

He then broke down why he has that trust and listed a couple of reasons for it while doing so.

"It starts with the head coach," Leno Jr. said. "The things he preaches every single day is basically control what you can control and that's something I firmly believe in."

"Also, just the pieces that we have, the roster that we have," he continued. "Not only with the talent that we have, but just the fight that our team shows. Those are traits, those are characteristics that you want in your team."

"There were so many opportunities to say, 'We're done,'" Leno Jr. said. "But nobody ever did that"

Not my first choice at LB but might not be a bad fall back

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/15-questions-for-lb-anthony-walker-who-saw-browns-go-through-a-great-week-of-pre

Anthony Walker became an almost immediate leader on Cleveland's defense upon signing with the team during the offseason.

You simply can't miss or go without hearing the exuberant linebacker, who has provided a commanding presence in the middle of Cleveland's defense throughout the season.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/browns-sign-anthony-walker-a-smart-tough-linebacker

"Just in spending some time with him, he loves diving into the X's and O's of this game," Stefanski said. "Also, he has just proven to be a tremendous teammate over the course of his career."

Screen Shot 2022-01-08 at 3.40.28 PM.png

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm definitely curious how this goes with Payne.

I’d definitely shop him.  Be proactive instead of watching him walk after 2022.  Buckner netted a first rounder. Not saying Payne is as good as Buckner, but you never know if a team gets desperate.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’d definitely shop him.  Be proactive instead of watching him walk after 2022.  Buckner netted a first rounder. Not saying Payne is as good as Buckner, but you never know if a team gets desperate.

Agreed. I'd much rather have another 2nd round pick to spend on MLB/QB/Bellcow/FS and have Settle show his mettle.