Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I said it before, but I don’t think it makes sense to make an offer to Scherff.  Either you offer the same amount as before or better - a terrible move for an oft-injured guy, or you offer less - which likely ticks Scherff off.  I’d let him test the market and ask for the chance to compete/match offers.  If we don’t match, you might tick him off, but he’s gone anyway, so who cares.  If we do match, presumably it’s for less than we offered previously.

Obviously he might feel slighted to not receive another offer from the WFT, but I’d think you can pass it off to an extent - “we’re having trouble agreeing on a price, so maybe it’s best to let the market decide”, or some such BS.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I'd keep Scherff. I haven't felt this way about how important he is to this team before. I hated drafting him. I still think it was dumb.

That said, he is awesome and one of thee best Olinemen in the league and we win when he's playing.

I'd try and keep that entire Oline group together honestly.

Do I want to make him the highest paid RG? No, but I probably would considering what he means to the team.

If he walks, then Wes takes over and that's cool. It's a step down, but still a strength and then we have nobody behind him.

I doubt injuries are as bad next year, because we should have a QB that knows when to throw it away or run.

• Like 2

No way I re-sign Scherff.  

The guy cannot stay healthy.  Doesn't matter how much talent you have if you are not on the field.  And there's no justification for paying a Guard an outrageous sum of money for what amounts to about half a year's worth of play.  Scherff is not indispensable.  There's plenty of Guard talent out there that is definitely good enough.  Sign or draft a replacement.  

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

We have a ton of cap to throw at him this year and then leave ourselves with a very friendly contract down the road until his retirement.

Doesnt sound like he wants that though. If that were the case we would already have a deal. 

21 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd keep Scherff. I haven't felt this way about how important he is to this team before. I hated drafting him. I still think it was dumb.

That said, he is awesome and one of thee best Olinemen in the league and we win when he's playing.

I'd try and keep that entire Oline group together honestly.

Do I want to make him the highest paid RG? No, but I probably would considering what he means to the team.

If he walks, then Wes takes over and that's cool. It's a step down, but still a strength and then we have nobody behind him.

I doubt injuries are as bad next year, because we should have a QB that knows when to throw it away or run.

I’m trending in the same direction.  I’ve always been fine with him leaving, but now I’m reconsidering.  I say this with the assumption that they draft a QB instead of swinging for a vet trade (Carr, Mayfield, Wilson, Ryan, etc).  With a QB on a rookie deal, you can overpay in other positions.  I’d be fine with Schweitzer at RG.  But then that thins out your OL depth.  

I look at Ben in Pittsburgh.  When he started out, they were more run focused and depended on their D.  If they stay at 11 and get a QB (maybe Howell, maybe Strong) and then go with a RB in the second, that QB would have a nasty line and run game to help his development.  

• Like 3

Scherff is superior to all other Oline talent on the roster. The teams record with and without him proves it.  If basing the decision on this it is a no brainer to sign him.

On the other side, he had the opportunity to stay with the team for his career last season and chose against it.

I would offer him a decent contract. Either he signs or you move from him. If he has not signed by the tampering period, you best have other plans in place and let him walk

• Like 3

I too was ready to move on from Scherff, but I would be inclined to make him a contract offer first to test his resolve. Top 10 money, not top 5 money. 12-14mil per year maximum, take it or leave it. Almost inevitable he will refuse that. Move on if so.

• Thumb up 1

Id be looking to move payne as well. Its just bad roster construction paying that much capital into one position. Gotta diversify yo funds. Also in todays NFL run defense has never mattered less. He's a run stuffing 1T that doesnt command a lot of double teams in pass sets. 

Dont think hes worth what he could be getting. 

Sounds like the other lineman see Lucas and Scherff moving on. Sounds about right.

I do think they need to keep an eye on G, but they've lucked out with Flowers who should be able to play a few years still. Schweitzer as the stop gap. It's only one hole on OL and there is a viable internal candidate with a back-up. 

I hope they cut Collins because he sounds like the guy that Judge was talking about wanting to come back to the Giants. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, OMacAttack said:

Offer Scherff the same contract Wyatt Teller got from the browns 4 years $56.8mil w 29 guaranteed.

That will show whether he does actually want to be here or is just saying it.

Makes sense, but didn't we do that last year? Teller seems to be about his equal except younger and healthier

15 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Do we know what Leon’s cap hit is in 2022?  I know his AAV is 12.5, but haven’t seen anything about cap hit.

Right now, without Leno, they have 36 guys under contract at 156.64M

I was wondering that to buddy, my guess would be a low cap hit in 2022. I'd say around 5m. 

• Like 1

Taking a closer look at the cap, we are in a really good position especially if the plan is to go with a drafted QB.  

As I mentioned earlier, we have 36 guys (not counting Leno) signed for next season.  Let’s say we cut Collins, that’s 17 positions we need to add with about $60M.  (Probably more, but I’m plugging in Leno’s AAV for now). Our draft class is 6 deep.  We spent 8.3M on 8 guys last year, so let’s call it 10M for the class.

Bringing back our guys.  Using some increases, I show 13.25M for McCain, Lucas, Slye, Carter, K Allen, Roberts, Johnson, and McKissic.

That takes us to about $21M in cap room for three remaining slots.

This is just a rough sketch, but there’s money there to bring back Scherff, get Wagner if he comes available, spend money on a WR2 (not my favorite idea).

• Like 1

So we signed 8 to reserve/futures contracts and when I read the last one on the list I thought, Marko Mitchell? Ain’t that dude like 40 by now 😂

G Zack Bailey

C/G Beau Benzschawel

G Deion Calhoun

DT Tyler Clark

WR Antonio Gandy-Golden

WR Kelvin Harmon

G Nolan Laufenberg

WR Marken Michel

Edited by ANONYMOUS SOURCE.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1