Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

On 2021-02-01 at 7:58 PM, CTskin said:

They still will be. The cap is will bounce back next year, so contracts will just be backloaded. No free agents will be taking a discount because of a team cap problem.

Going to be two years with a lower salary cap than expected. Not going to be much higher next year. Team's will need to be smart. 

Edited by Silvernon
  • Like 1

Sign Samuel and Lavonte or KJ, make a run at Aaron Jones, trade up to 3 to draft Fields or Wilson.

QB room to start the year is Heinicke/Alex/Fields or Wilson (Kyle Allen on PUP). Camp battle to determine starter. Alex around at a lower cap hit to mentor the rook, who's meant to sit an watch the whole year (Mahomes Program).

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

He's really young, as fast as anyone, versatile and ascending. He really hasn't been used well in Carolina, they started to this year. The ESPN article points out that his catch rate jumped from 51.4% to 79.4% in a year and "completion percentage over expectation" rose from minus 4.7 to plus 6.6. He's an improving player with a lot more potential to do more. 

As for the $10 mil+ price tag, that's where the market is going. To look at some of the other WRs in that projection and their prices:

Allen Robinson $21 mil per year

Chris Godwin $19.5m

Kenny Golladay $18.5m

Juju Smith-Schuster $17.5m

Will Fuller- Franchise Tag (!)

Corey Davis- $13m

Will Fuller won't get the tag, he has an injury history and with the PED suspension his value is going to be much lower.  

I would hope we sign Will Fuller or John Ross. 

I think back when DJax was on the roster and just having him on the field opened up the run game.  Signing Will Fuller would complete the WR room.  Signing Ross would just about do it as well.  Ross is highly undervalued.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dexter said:

Will Fuller won't get the tag, he has an injury history and with the PED suspension his value is going to be much lower.  

I think back when DJax was on the roster and just having him on the field opened up the run game.  Signing Will Fuller would complete the WR room.  Signing Ross would just about do it as well.  Ross is highly undervalued.

I think Ross could be a nice prove it deal for us, but Fuller is going to cost and be risky.

Fuller is a stud.. problem is he is an inj prone stud. He is basically guaranteed to miss a few games at least, every year. But heck at 12mil per year.. i'd try him out.

Ross has done nothing in the NFL and is also inj prone... no thanks.

• Like 1

So we’ve seen reports that Scherff wants to return, and Rivera implied that he wanted him back, there was mutual interest on Darby coming back, plus we were in negotiations with Jon Allen’s reps late December on an extension. Three key moves.

Would be great to close those out, and the QB position as priorities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dexter said:

The same Will Fuller who plays about 10 games a season and hasn’t caught more than 53 balls?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So we’ve seen reports that Scherff wants to return, and Rivera implied that he wanted him back, there was mutual interest on Darby coming back, plus we were in negotiations with Jon Allen’s reps late December on an extension. Three key moves.

Would be great to close those out, and the QB position as priorities.

Would love to work out deals with Darby and Allen, but I don’t see how we come to a common ground with scherff.

i like scherff and would love to have him back... at the right cost. He got the all-pro tag this year and I could have sworn last year he said he wanted top dollar. You watched the team this year, did you see dominance out of him? I certainly didn’t. And his pff grade agrees as he was not rated in the “elite” category. I have a real problem paying $15m+ for a top 5-10 player at the least important position on the OL. We can continue to not be dominant for a much lower cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CTskin said:

Would love to work out deals with Darby and Allen, but I don’t see how we come to a common ground with scherff.

i like scherff and would love to have him back... at the right cost. He got the all-pro tag this year and I could have sworn last year he said he wanted top dollar. You watched the team this year, did you see dominance out of him? I certainly didn’t. And his pff grade agrees as he was not rated in the “elite” category. I have a real problem paying $15m+ for a top 5-10 player at the least important position on the OL. We can continue to not be dominant for a much lower cost.

There’s always a chance a player changes their views after seeing what their coach is building and where a team is heading. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

39 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

There’s always a chance a player changes their views after seeing what their coach is building and where a team is heading. 

I’d like to believe that, but when was the last time u saw a player take a sign at a hometown discount (other than Brady)? Scherff couldn’t be in better negotiating position given his age and all-pro tag... I don’t see him doing it, but would love to be wrong.

2 hours ago, CTskin said:

I think for Scherff the low salary cap be comes a factor. He has less options due to many teams being short on space. Might boil down to staying here buying into Rivera’s vision, or taking more cash and heading to the Jags or Jets for example.

12 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think for Scherff the low salary cap be comes a factor. He has less options due to many teams being short on space. Might boil down to staying here buying into Rivera’s vision, or taking more cash and heading to the Jags or Jets for example.

Good point.  I’m far from a cap expert, but I think front loading guaranteed money and backloading salary gives him financial security and the ability to be labeled (pay-wise) a top notch guard.  If we cut him near the end of his deal, he’s still at a decent age to earn another big payday (I think).  If we don’t, he gets a crap ton of money.  Lessens our chance to trade him down the line, or to get a comp pick for him, but means we have a very good G at a fairly reasonable price.  No idea if he goes for this, but seems fair to me.

Switching over to D, I’ve been a little back and forth on Darby.  To me, a big factor in wanting him back comes down to how we address ILB.  If we add a good one, we should be more effective vs the run and therefore see more long passing downs.  While Darby struggled with these, I tend to think (without stats to back it up), that a big factor was him having to cover both shorter and longer routes and thinking the pass rush should alleviate the pressure to cover deep (or thinking he had safety help).  The longer downs should mean he’d have a better chance to play off and track those deeper plays (and still breaking on routes near the sticks).  Improve our ILB coverage and hopefully improve at slot corner, FS, or both, and Darby could be (even) more effective.  Maybe.

Rewatching Holcomb’s highlights, it seems like when he comes downhill, he’s pretty effective at stoning linemen, but he also seemed to always throw a shoulder into them, rather than engaging with his hands.  Most of his plays in the run game also seemed to be on run blitzes, though it’s hard for me to tell at times if he’s just (at least at times) reacting quickly to the OL movement...

13 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agreed. The last thing most teams can afford with a stagnant cap is a 15 mil a year Guard.

24 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I read speculation that Jaylon Smith and Micah Kizer may end up being cap casualties.  I’d be interested in Kizer.  Smith seemed to have a rough year in the casual spots that I watched him.  But he has been a monster in the past.  Any interest in those guys if the become available?

Jaylon would be an interesting cost effective solution. He has been solid in the past and maybe some of his struggles were due to Nolan's whacky scheme. I'd be willing to take a bet on him as a buy low guy. Just lock him up for at least 2 years so you don't have to pay him big money after 1 year

Isn't Scherff virtually guaranteed to hit free agency this year?

I would think it would be very cost prohibitive to put a second franchise tag on a guard (what is the cost I don't know) and wouldn't that give him no reason not to test the market to see what he's worth?

42 minutes ago, method man said:

Jaylon would be an interesting cost effective solution. He has been solid in the past and maybe some of his struggles were due to Nolan's whacky scheme. I'd be willing to take a bet on him as a buy low guy. Just lock him up for at least 2 years so you don't have to pay him big money after 1 year

He won’t be a buy low guy.

5 hours ago, redskinss said:

Isn't Scherff virtually guaranteed to hit free agency this year?

I would think it would be very cost prohibitive to put a second franchise tag on a guard (what is the cost I don't know) and wouldn't that give him no reason not to test the market to see what he's worth?

I believe the tag was about 18 mill.  Unlikely. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/how-does-franchise-tag-work-in-the-nfl/1w7mwh36nqnfw1qb7lne9t9ka0

14.781 last year, so with above 120% modifier basically 17.75mil. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jsharrin55 said:

I believe the tag was about 18 mill.  Unlikely. 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/how-does-franchise-tag-work-in-the-nfl/1w7mwh36nqnfw1qb7lne9t9ka0

14.781 last year, so with above 120% modifier basically 17.75mil. 

Me personally I think we should let him walk.  He has been hurt here and there for past few years.  He is a great player no doubt but you can find value at much lower salary number.   Probably we can sign 2 starter worthy Guards and be a better overall OL unit than spending this huge money on Scherff.  Am I the only one thinking this?

• Like 1