Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

So in his interview with Ron, he said the first thing they want to do is lock up their own, then explore free agency and the draft.

I'm guessing that means working out a deal with Scherff, Darby and maybe extending Jon Allen as the "big name" guys.  There are several others (see below).    I get that doing Allen now is a year early, but it would be cheaper in the long run, I think.  And you avoid the franchise tag situation.  

The other Free Agents are:

Group 1: From "Should Bring Back" to "Might Bring Back" before the FA period begins

- Kyle Allen (QB): He's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, and I believe he'll be back.  

- Taylor Heineke (QB): He's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, and I believe he'll be back.   

- Ronald Darby: I think this is a sneaky "they have to get it done" type of thing because if not they're looking for 2-3 starting DBs at the same time.  He played well for the most part.

- Fabian Moreau (DB): I think they'd like to have Fabian back, but I doubt this gets done before FA. You can find other Fabian Moreau's I think. BUT if you don't sign Fabian or Darby, you've got A LOT of work to do in the secondary, starting from scratch essentially except for Fuller and Curl.  

- Cam Sims (WR): Exclusive Rights Free Agent.  There's no harm bringing him back to compete in camp.

- Kevin Pierre-Louis (LB): I think there's a good chance they get a deal done with him soon.  It won't be massively expensive.

- Dustin Hopkins (K): This is going to be FASCINATING.  You don't want to enter kicker purgatory.  But Dusty has been very hit or miss.  

- Nick Sunberg (Snapper): I think they try to re-sign him, and it shouldn't be that hard.  He's a good snapper.  You also don't want to be in snapper purgatory.  (Or they could bring back Shawn Johnson's husband, whatever his name is, I don't remember. He snapped here in 2019 when Sunberg got hurt.  Shawn then becomes the most decorated member of the WFT family with multiple Olympic gold medals. (This is a joke.  I think he kindof sucks as a snapper.) )

Group 2: Won't be back, at least not before FA.  

- Ryan Kerrigan (LB): I don't think they're going to re-sign him before FA.  If he doesn't get any starting offers, they might bring him back. One of the former 'Skins HC's (Kyle, Sean, LaFleur) might bring him in as a rotational guy.  But I doubt this gets done before FA starts

- Ryan Anderson (LB): Waste of a pick, will not re-sign. One of Kyle's biggest whiffs.  If that pick was on Kyle.

- Lamar Miller (RB): Won't re-sign before FA.

- Mychal Kendricks (LB): I have no idea who this is.

- Jared Norris (LB): I have no idea who this is.

- Robert Foster (WR): Won't re-sign before FA.

- Jeremy Sprinkle (TE): I don't think they bring him back. For a 5th round pick, not a bad pick. 

- Danny Johnson (CB): Won't re-sign before FA.

- Thomas Davis (LB): retired

- Rueben Foster (LB): Will not re-sign.

- David Sharpe (T):  Won't re-sign before FA.

• Thanks 1

I don't think Darby is that important to bring back. He's this year's Erick Flowers. You can find another JAG type CB in FA and fill him into our scheme.

Cam Sims might still be inconsistent but he had a couple 100 yard games in the back half of the season. He could just be starting to hit his stride. I think he'll make a good #3 WR. Definitely gotta bring him back.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HigSkin said:

That is still low enough to make things uncomfortable for a lot of teams.  Even if certain teams aren't forced to make a lot of cuts, it will at least limit their aggressiveness in FA this year.  A lot of FA will be looking for one year deals where they can shine for the next year's offseason and they can cash in.  If you are a LB, what better dline to make you look awesome.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

That is still low enough to make things uncomfortable for a lot of teams.  Even if certain teams aren't forced to make a lot of cuts, it will at least limit their aggressiveness in FA this year.  A lot of FA will be looking for one year deals where they can shine for the next year's offseason and they can cash in.  If you are a LB, what better dline to make you look awesome.

You are right on it and not just LB but DB's too. That's why resigning Darby doesn't need to be a priority. Also while lacking in high end talent, the draft deep with DB's.

Now OL is different, there are not a lot of good FA options so they need to settle with Scherff if that's the plan.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

- Taylor Heineke (QB): He's an Exclusive Rights Free Agent, and I believe he'll be back.   

- Mychal Kendricks (LB): I have no idea who this is.

TH is RFA, not ERFA.  Difference of ~2mill vs 750K, agree he'll be tendered.

Kendricks had most of his years with the Eagles and played a bunch in the playoffs after being signed off the Seattle PS.  He also could be going to jail for insider trading...but seems to keep pushing the trial date back.  I could see him at a KPL level deal and hope that he's a backup rotational guy.

1 hour ago, jsharrin55 said:

TH's agent seems to think RFA.  But I guess we'll see if he's simply hoping he's accrued enough time to not be ERFA.  IDK.

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/1/12/22226454/erfa-rfa-and-washingtons-quarterbacks

Yeah, I dunno.  JP said he called around and the league offices and confirmed TH was an exclusive rights restricted FA. But he’s been wrong before.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

Dear Santa,

I want a linebacker for Football.

Thank you,

Dawg

So Thirsty :ols:

If we had the Bucs LBers we played today. LBers won the SB. LBers. Defense wins championships. End of discussion.

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This will get a couple guys excited, like @KDawg and @Koolblue13

LBers won the game AGAIN!!!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Cam Sims might still be inconsistent but he had a couple 100 yard games in the back half of the season. He could just be starting to hit his stride. I think he'll make a good #3 WR. Definitely gotta bring him back.

He's too unreliable to be a regular.  Maybe a 5th or 6th WR on a good offense.  

Edited by Ruzious

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Lavante David could be this generation's London Fletcher for us

I could well be wrong but I don’t see that level of FA investment at LB. I think we’ll try to address QB, WR/TE and shore up the OL in free agency, then we’ll build on the young defensive core buy adding multiple LBs and a DB in the draft. 

On 2/7/2021 at 10:51 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I'm guessing that means working out a deal with Scherff, Darby and maybe extending Jon Allen as the "big name" guys.  There are several others (see below).    I get that doing Allen now is a year early, but it would be cheaper in the long run, I think.  And you avoid the franchise tag situation.  

More I think about it, the more extending Allen now makes sense. Think about it this way: we know the D-line we have is ferocious, and by all intents and purposes, is the “core” of the team. We want them all to be together as long as possible. Extending Allen helps to allow this. 

2021: Allen extended; all other D-lineman on rookie contracts. Use 5th year option on Payne for 2022.

2022: Allen on big contract; all other D-lineman on rookie contracts. Can franchise tag Payne for a one year deal. Use 5th year option on Sweat.

2023: Allen on big contract; Payne on tag. After this year, we likely have to start shelling out money for Sweat and Young, and the core is likely going to be fractured from a purely cost standpoint.  

Getting 3 years of production from this D-line on a relatively cheaper scale (Allen extension only) would be quite useful to build a contender.