Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I really think Watson will land here, He has no trade clause which means he will have a say. It's clear that having a POC as a coach is important to him or at the very least a team that includes him in that process. Look at the other teams the media mentions. Now look at us? Look at our most recent hire in a African American woman (kind of the first in the league)

If you think trading 3 or 4 first round picks isn't worth landing Watson then you've not been watching football lately. We will be at best average regardless of how good we think our defense is. A good QB hides many issues.

It's a shame Kerrigan doesn't have another year on his contract. He would have been perfect to trade to them 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, 21savage said:

I really think Watson will land here, He has no trade clause which means he will have a say. It's clear that having a POC as a coach is important to him or at the very least a team that includes him in that process. Look at the other teams the media mentions. Now look at us? Look at our most recent hire in a African American woman (kind of the first in the league)

If you think trading 3 or 4 first round picks isn't worth landing Watson then you've not been watching football lately. We will be at best average regardless of how good we think our defense is. A good QB hides many issues.

It's a shame Kerrigan doesn't have another year on his contract. He would have been perfect to trade to them 

Everything about this post is incorrect.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, 21savage said:

Do elaborate please

I don’t think the hiring of any POC matters to him. He wants to win, plain and simple. I don’t think giving up 4 first rounders for Watson is smart and having Kerrigan under contract for one more year would have meant the team was stuck with Kerrigan for one more year. Dude has declined to the point where he can only be somewhat effective playing on the occasional down. He only has value to us because of his leadership and loyalty to the franchise. I’d be shocked if he gets anything more than a one year 5 million dollar deal somewhere else.

sorry if my original post came across as pompous.

This being a FA thread, I figured it's an appropriate place to bring up Kerrigan's impending FA departure. It's going to be really strange watching Kerrigan play for another team but I do think he has a 10+ sack season in him still. He still flies off the line faster than anyone on the team it seems like (of course that could be because he is fresh). Asking him to run in open space and cover someone probably isn't going to be the best idea, but if you want someone to rush the QB strictly, this guy still has 2-3 years in him. 

Going to miss him, he definitely deserves an appreciation thread when he's gone, he deserves to be recognized for his excellence by the team. Now if that signifies us retiring his jersey, I don't know, but he should be recognized as one of our greats. Honestly, same with Trent. I'm over his whole situation already, he poured a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this organization. Even though he won't be leaving on as good of terms as Kerrigan, he should be recognized for his greatness throughout the organization as well. Things like this for the players hopefully attract more players to come play for us, we shouldn't want this team to be a petty organization. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This being a FA thread, I figured it's an appropriate place to bring up Kerrigan's impending FA departure. It's going to be really strange watching Kerrigan play for another team but I do think he has a 10+ sack season in him still. He still flies off the line faster than anyone on the team it seems like (of course that could be because he is fresh). Asking him to run in open space and cover someone probably isn't going to be the best idea, but if you want someone to rush the QB strictly, this guy still has 2-3 years in him. 

Going to miss him, he definitely deserves an appreciation thread when he's gone, he deserves to be recognized for his excellence by the team. Now if that signifies us retiring his jersey, I don't know, but he should be recognized as one of our greats. Honestly, same with Trent. I'm over his whole situation already, he poured a lot of blood, sweat, and tears into this organization. Even though he won't be leaving on as good of terms as Kerrigan, he should be recognized for his greatness throughout the organization as well. Things like this for the players hopefully attract more players to come play for us, we shouldn't want this team to be a petty organization. 

If he wants to come back for an incentive-laden deal i'm all for it, but considering he'll be a situational pass rusher only, it would be hard for him to attain any of those incentives. 

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

I don’t think the hiring of any POC matters to him. He wants to win, plain and simple. I don’t think giving up 4 first rounders for Watson is smart and having Kerrigan under contract for one more year would have meant the team was stuck with Kerrigan for one more year. Dude has declined to the point where he can only be somewhat effective playing on the occasional down. He only has value to us because of his leadership and loyalty to the franchise. I’d be shocked if he gets anything more than a one year 5 million dollar deal somewhere else.

sorry if my original post came across as pompous.

It does. The only coaches he has indicated he wants to play for are POC (Bienemy, Saleh and Flores)

22 minutes ago, method man said:

It does. The only coaches he has indicated he wants to play for are POC (Bienemy, Saleh and Flores)

That doesn’t mean that’s all that matters.  He wants a organization with accountability.  One with a vision and a plan.  Houston has none of that.  Their owner has no vision nor does the FO.  Watson wants strong leader ship.  Houston has no leverage.  Players lose value when they sit out.  They can’t wait for ever regardless of how upset they are and want to cash in big.  Other teams will find solutions if they don’t make a deal and then they’ll get hardly anything soon enough.  Sound familiar? The biggest thing is convincing Texans to get him out of the afc to us and pulling a deal that’s reasonable fir both sides as well as convinces Watson that we have something special brewing. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Houston is going to milk a Watson trade for all its worth. They lost so many draft picks with O'Brien and this is their one real chance to make some of that back.

They will of course get picks but with the no trade clause they don’t have leverage.  Worse they can do to Watson is bench him but he’s ready to sit the season anyway.  Then Texans don’t get anything.  Plus as we saw with Trent you won’t anything close to the value if a player just keeps sitting out.  Will they get picks? Yes.  But they ain’t getting what they want.  The rest of the league will just go else where and then Texans will have no options and a QB rotting.  Plus it’s never a good look having a disgruntled star in the news week after week that publicly said he doesn’t want to be there. 

Edited by RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, 21savage said:

If you give up sweat and curl in addition to premium draft picks, that good defense you referenced takes a step back.   We won't have picks to get the defense back to where it is today or surround watson with weapons. 

The net result is a negative imo.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Don't know if any of you saw this, but ESPN did a piece predicting where 43 WRs will end up next year. Free Agents, trade candidates, retirements, etc.

It's an insider article, but here's the link:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/30795432/predictions-43-nfl-wide-receivers-change-teams-2021-free-agency-allen-robinson-chris-godwin-kenny-golladay-more

Was more interested in the contract guesses than where they thought people would end up. They had us signing Curtis Samuel for 4 years, $46 mil (sounds good to me)

A couple of other guys I'd watch if their price tags end up where ESPN had them-

Josh Reynolds, two years $10 mil (to the Bengals)

David Moore, two years, $8.5 mil (to the Panthers)

Samuel and one of those two would make for a nice WR corps. 

Anyway, there's the article for what it's worth (Probably not much)

12 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Curtis Samuel gets a lot of hype.  I'm not sure why.  Decent player.  I wouldn't mind having the guy, but not at $10M+ a year for 4 years.  What has he done to merit a contract like that?

I was in on the Curtis Samuel hype train back when spotrac had his market value at 6.5m annually. Now (only a month or so later) his market value is pushing 12.4m per year according to them and it's getting out of my comfort range for what Curtis Samuel is as a player. He would have been a steal at the 6.5m tag. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/curtis-samuel-21781/market-value/

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Curtis Samuel gets a lot of hype.  I'm not sure why.  Decent player.  I wouldn't mind having the guy, but not at $10M+ a year for 4 years.  What has he done to merit a contract like that?

He's really young, as fast as anyone, versatile and ascending. He really hasn't been used well in Carolina, they started to this year. The ESPN article points out that his catch rate jumped from 51.4% to 79.4% in a year and "completion percentage over expectation" rose from minus 4.7 to plus 6.6. He's an improving player with a lot more potential to do more. 

As for the $10 mil+ price tag, that's where the market is going. To look at some of the other WRs in that projection and their prices:

Allen Robinson $21 mil per year

Chris Godwin $19.5m

Kenny Golladay $18.5m

Juju Smith-Schuster $17.5m

Will Fuller- Franchise Tag (!)

Corey Davis- $13m

39 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I have to believe that FOs aren't acting like fans and over reacting because of the QB frenzy. This is a purse string cap year and these contracts aren't going to be over the moon. Especially with such a great WR draft.

They still will be. The cap is will bounce back next year, so contracts will just be backloaded. No free agents will be taking a discount because of a team cap problem.

more the reason why I don’t see how the cowboys can afford to keep dak when they’re already over the cap. I assume he’d cost them significant player cuts and a nightmare dead cap situation. Thanks for choosing the cowboys amari!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CTskin said:

They still will be. The cap is will bounce back next year, so contracts will just be backloaded. No free agents will be taking a discount because of a team cap problem.

more the reason why I don’t see how the cowboys can afford to keep dak when they’re already over the cap. I assume he’d cost them significant player cuts and a nightmare dead cap situation. Thanks for choosing the cowboys amari!

I assume they'll find a way. I'm not hot on Dak personally. I think they find a way to keep him though.

It's just surprising that a FA like Samuel would end the season being speculated as a 6.5 mil WR and now he's a 10 mil WR. Something's not right.

15 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I assume they'll find a way. I'm not hot on Dak personally. I think they find a way to keep him though.

It's just surprising that a FA like Samuel would end the season being speculated as a 6.5 mil WR and now he's a 10 mil WR. Something's not right.

Maybe it's the Tyreek Hill effect.  Samuels isn't as twitchy as Hill but can do a lot of the same things and can be used in a lot of the same ways.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Should be some clarity on the salary cap this week, reportedly going to land ~180M. With our carry-over we could be at roughly the 40M mark in terms of space.

Yep, about $49m in space with a released Smith. Think if we designate as a post June 6th cut he would add another $6m in 2021 and get us to $55m.