Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He had a bad year in a bad system with injuries. Fair. Before that he was solid.

Thats why Buffalo traded him to Philly?  Bc he was so solid?

Hes had an up and down career and last year his best work.  The year before was his worst. Corner is a volatile position and I dont want to sink big money into someone with a spotty track record.  Its far too dicey.

1 hour ago, 86 Snyder said:

Right.  Because top 10-15 corners bounce around 3 teams in 6 seasons.

He had a good year.  Doesnt mean its the new norm.  No chance Id give him a multiyear, 10m per year deal.

he was traded after his second year, after a coaching change, and then got hurt each of his years with the Eagles.  And the Eagles still gave him a one year deal after a torn ACL.  And last year, I thought we signed him pretty late, but it was only a little over two weeks into free agency

He's never been cut and multiple teams have shown a desire to have him

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, carex said:

he was traded after his second year, after a coaching change, and then got hurt each of his years with the Eagles.  And the Eagles still gave him a one year deal after a torn ACL.  And last year, I thought we signed him pretty late, but it was only a little over two weeks into free agency

He's never been cut and multiple teams have shown a desire to have him

I didnt say he sucked, I said hes been up and down.  Pretty much exactly as you just described.

His first year was really strong, 2nd year quite poor, Philly years all over the place.  Washington season strong. Tell me how I'm misrepresenting him.

19 hours ago, carex said:

Well, I pointed this guy out last night but in the theme of this

Tahir Whitehead, LB: Whitehead was drafted by the Detroit Lions while Martin Mayhew was their GM and signed by the Carolina Panthers in 2020.  He started only 9 games for them but prior to that had been a consistent starter averaging more than 100 tackles per year

What little I read on him gives me the feeling he is Jon Bostic.

18 hours ago, method man said:

Marvin Jones is the most underrated FA by this board. Certainly on the older side but has continued to produce at a 1K yards/yr pace with red zone abilities given his size. Bring him and Gabriel in and draft someone in this deep draft class in the 3rd or 4th. Add 2 of Cam Sims, Harmon and AGG for depth and you have a solid WR corps with a lot of depth

If the team makes that big now, in FA or to get to the top of the draft many of the draft picks will more than likely be lost. That means we need to upgrade through less expensive FA's. Marvin Jones would be a great player to bring. If Stafford were to be the QB then Jones should be a no brainer. The idea of bringing in an Allen Robinson would be a pipe dream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DWinzit said:

If the team makes that big now, in FA or to get to the top of the draft many of the draft picks will more than likely be lost. That means we need to upgrade through less expensive FA's. Marvin Jones would be a great player to bring. If Stafford were to be the QB then Jones should be a no brainer. The idea of bringing in an Allen Robinson would be a pipe dream.

Stafford’s contract would not be as restrictive as you think in 2021 and 2022. Year 1 on a new deal would be covered by Smith being a post 1 June release.

• Like 1

@UK SKINS FAN 74 if Detroit’s on the hook for $19m guaranteed then WFT only owes Stafford $14m in 2021 and he’s due $26m in 2022. Those numbers are very low considering the market so I’d think a new deal ala Alex Smith trade would be sought by Stafford to get more APY and us to secure him beyond 2022

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@UK SKINS FAN 74 if Detroit’s on the hook for $19m guaranteed then WFT only owes Stafford $14m in 2021 and he’s due $26m in 2022. Those numbers are very low considering the market so I’d think a new deal ala Alex Smith trade would be sought by Stafford to get more APY and us to secure him beyond 2022

Agreed. But even Stafford’s 5/130mil plus deal from DET had a first year cap hit under 20mil. 

He got a 50mil signing bonus that spread over 5 years.

Im sure he gets a new deal, but the cap hit in 2021 will be under or at 20mil in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agreed. But even Stafford’s 5/130mil plus deal from DET had a first year cap hit under 20mil. 

He got a 50mil signing bonus that spread over 5 years.

Im sure he gets a new deal, but the cap hit in 2021 will be under or at 20mil in my opinion. 

I just looked again. I’m not a cap guy. But Stafford has a 10m roster bonus in 2021 and 2022. I assume that would translate to wherever he’s traded. He’s got a $9.5m base and a $12.5m base the next two years so by my math we would owe him $19.5m in 2021 and $22.5m in 2022.

two very affordable years and I think a new deal would be likely either way. But those 2 “team friendly” numbers in 2021 and 2022 would make an extension pretty affordable for us compared to his value. 

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I just looked again. I’m not a cap guy. But Stafford has a 10m roster bonus in 2021 and 2022. I assume that would translate to wherever he’s traded. He’s got a $9.5m base and a $12.5m base the next two years so by my math we would owe him $19.5m in 2021 and $22.5m in 2022.

two very affordable years and I think a new deal would be likely either way. But those 2 “team friendly” numbers in 2021 and 2022 would make an extension pretty affordable for us compared to his value. 

I think whoever trades for him has to give him 30mil per year in the process.

42 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think whoever trades for him has to give him 30mil per year in the process.

I agree. There will need to be a new deal. But factoring in he’s making $42m over the next 2 years, he might settle for a new deal at a “lower” APY given it increases his earnings in 2021 and 2022 

someone mentioned he’s already made $220m in his career. If he wants to win he may be willing to do a team friendly deal. We’ll see. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

20 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, we have one of 10-15 starting legit CB1s in the league, but we should let him go to get a late round 3rd comp pick. lol

20 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Right.  Because top 10-15 corners bounce around 3 teams in 6 seasons.

He had a good year.  Doesnt mean its the new norm.  No chance Id give him a multiyear, 10m per year deal.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/ronald-darby-16774/market-value/

This break down covers a range of items.  A 10.4 mill salary would put him as the 18th highest CB value.  FA will bump over best on rookie deals, so would be similar to ~20-24 range CB play.

There are several items that look at length of contract based on age that makes 3/30 as an argument with a decent rationale. 

The biggest concern for me is the injury history (his GP% is 13% lower than the guys he was compared to for this).  I'd try something like 8 mill base with 2mil being tied to games played.  Gets him to the 10 mill mark, but only if he stays healthy all year.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-football-team/ronald-darby-16774/market-value/

This break down covers a range of items.  A 10.4 mill salary would put him as the 18th highest CB value.  FA will bump over best on rookie deals, so would be similar to ~20-24 range CB play.

There are several items that look at length of contract based on age that makes 3/30 as an argument with a decent rationale. 

The biggest concern for me is the injury history (his GP% is 13% lower than the guys he was compared to for this).  I'd try something like 8 mill base with 2mil being tied to games played.  Gets him to the 10 mill mark, but only if he stays healthy all year.

My position is very simple...Darby hasnt been consistent enough to deserve a 3/30 contract.

5 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

My position is very simple...Darby hasnt been consistent enough to deserve a 3/30 contract.

The position only works if you have a solution that makes sense.  You can say you don't want him and that's fine if there is an answer to replace him.

There are likely options to have a Darby part 2, but the guarantee that player does well isn't all that different than Darby being healthy or repeating.  Tell me who you think will be more consistent next year? 

With holes at WR, LB and FS I'd rather use draft resources elsewhere and even if we look for Darby part II, there is room for Darby, Fuller and Darby part II.  We have some potential with others, but I think this is a deal you make.

10 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

The position only works if you have a solution that makes sense.  You can say you don't want him and that's fine if there is an answer to replace him.

There are likely options to have a Darby part 2, but the guarantee that player does well isn't all that different than Darby being healthy or repeating.  Tell me who you think will be more consistent next year? 

With holes at WR, LB and FS I'd rather use draft resources elsewhere and even if we look for Darby part II, there is room for Darby, Fuller and Darby part II.  We have some potential with others, but I think this is a deal you make.

The point is to get a cheaper option.  I dont have anyone specific in mind at the moment, but I'd rather find another guy in free agency who will overperform a modest contract, just as Darby did.  Find the next one, dont overpay this one.  

The first question should always be, is this player worth the money it will take to sign him?  If the answer is no, you go back to the well.  I have low confidence Darby can repeat what he did this year, and even lower confidence he can do it for multiple seasons.  If we're going to sign a guy we have low confidence in hitting a certain mark, lets at least spend less money for it.

I hate paying these mediumish type players big money.  Sign a legit top level guy for even more $$, cool.  The last thing I want is a bunch of McGees and McClains and Richardsons getting 3x what they deserve because theyre "affordable".  Sack up, put the scouting glasses on and go find the next undervalued guy.  

31 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

The point is to get a cheaper option.  I dont have anyone specific in mind at the moment, but I'd rather find another guy in free agency who will overperform a modest contract, just as Darby did.  Find the next one, dont overpay this one.  

The first question should always be, is this player worth the money it will take to sign him?  If the answer is no, you go back to the well.  I have low confidence Darby can repeat what he did this year, and even lower confidence he can do it for multiple seasons.  If we're going to sign a guy we have low confidence in hitting a certain mark, lets at least spend less money for it.

I hate paying these mediumish type players big money.  Sign a legit top level guy for even more $$, cool.  The last thing I want is a bunch of McGees and McClains and Richardsons getting 3x what they deserve because theyre "affordable".  Sack up, put the scouting glasses on and go find the next undervalued guy.  

If finding the next one were easy all teams would.  I hope they can, but without the who it's hard to agree.  

I'd love if they could and I'm sure they'll look.  But if there isn't Darby 2, then I'd rather have Darby at 10 then a fa we hope is as good or better and pay more like the 15 we gave norman.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

If finding the next one were easy all teams would.  I hope they can, but without the who it's hard to agree.  

I'd love if they could and I'm sure they'll look.  But if there isn't Darby 2, then I'd rather have Darby at 10 then a fa we hope is as good or better and pay more like the 15 we gave norman.  

Youre missing the point.  Darbys 2020 season is history.  I am shorting Darby repeating the quality of his play this year.  Id rather take another swing in free agency than overpay a guy I have low confidence in, knowing full well the next free agent swing could be a miss because Id rather spend the money on a higher confidence pkayer at another position.  Giving Darby 3/30 doesnt guarantee anything other than a cap hit.

Id prefer to take another swing in free agency and spend a draft pick at corner too.

8 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

This is the ultmate question. We took a bet on him in the offseason thinking he was a good CB who could improve and needed to stay healthy. He played a very good year - definitely not elite but good enough to not be a household name for getting beat (Norman). I'd be interested in what the team thinks of him and what he thinks his value is. Kendall Fuller's getting 10M a year and that may make Darby think he deserves those numbers. But Darby had no ints, while Darby got some. That was a difference maker and made teams throw at Fuller less early on. Darby did have the breakups though. 

I honestly wonder if he could be gotten for a Josh Norman (Buffalo - 6 Mil), Dunbar (SEA - 3.5 Mil), or even Breeland (KC - 3 Mil). He's making 3 Mil right now so I don't see him going below that. But I don't think he did enough to warrant an upgrade from 3 Mil to 10Mil. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

Youre missing the point.  Darbys 2020 season is history.  I am shorting Darby repeating the quality of his play this year.  Id rather take another swing in free agency than overpay a guy I have low confidence in, knowing full well the next free agent swing could be a miss because Id rather spend the money on a higher confidence pkayer at another position.  Giving Darby 3/30 doesnt guarantee anything other than a cap hit.

Id prefer to take another swing in free agency and spend a draft pick at corner too.

well, we, or at least I,have higher confidence than you.  You haven't convinced me to have low confidence so I disagree with you.  We already have enough positions to take swings out, I would be very upset to add more