Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I am admittedly a total cap nerd. Every couple weeks I am inspired to run an exercise on the cap. Here is this week's iteration.

I am too, but don't do that often.

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Combining OTC and Spotrac ... Spotrac has 200m as the expected cap (15m rollover + 185m league cap).

Extend Darby - 4 years - $40m

Extend Moreau - 3 years - $9m

------------------------------------------------------

Curtis Samuel - 4 years - $38m

Jayon Brown - 4 years - $35m

Gerald Everett - 3 years - $15m

Malik Hooker - 2 year - $8m

Total 2021 Cap Hits: $21m

------------------------------------------------------

That's about the off-season we can expect if we don't add a big-name QB and go the draft route to get the answers.

FWIW, this FA cycle would hit the key hole ... WR, TE, MLB, FS and open up the draft to use assets to get a QB and fill in the rest of the roster.

I like most of this and think it puts us in good position.

With Darby's injury history I think 2 or 3 is fine.  If we went 4, I'd push him to take less AAV.  I mean I'd like a bit less period, but going longer, he'd have to take less for me.

Moreau wasn't really played last year, in times it seemed they could use another CB.  If they like him, the deal you say isn't bad, but I don't see a 3 yr deal here either.

Samuel (or Corey Davis) and Brown have been on my list for a bit  I don't see a ARob/Godwin or L. David for various reasons.  Everett I'm not sure.  He's been frustrating in the games I've seen and I'd be curious if 5 AAV gets it done.

Hooker I think is a good prove it deal, but I'd imagine he'd want a one year deal.

All nit-picky stuff.  I think as you mentioned it puts us in good position for the draft.  Like KPL, I hope they have another low cost LB they can add as well.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

you also though got to factor that every draft isn't the same.  Part of the buzz about this years 2021 draft is also about how meh the 2022 draft is looking right now.  And the FA crop for QB looks even more pathetic.  Yes, things can change but you only know what you know now.

If you love for example Justin Fields and don't think that lets say Rattler is another clone of him and you don't like the depth at that position then it might add to the urgency of now versus later.

I wonder how much of the 2022 stuff could change with full seasons and full participation.   There will likely be several guys that make a leap after the time away.  

Time will tell.

So the Saints drop Brees’ salary to 1mil in order to clear 20+mil off their committed cap, in an attempt to clear some immediate space and give him time to mull retirement. Spirit of the cap and all that.

They are still 70mil over, wonder what the actual penalty is if they don’t get under the cap, or is it simply a case that they have to? I’m guessing they simply have to, but that is still a big wedge even if they restructure half a dozen major contracts.

Going to see some big roster cuts across the league before FA starts aren’t we?

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

So the Saints drop Brees’ salary to 1mil in order to clear 20+mil off their committed cap, in an attempt to clear some immediate space and give him time to mull retirement. Spirit of the cap and all that.

They are still 70mil over, wonder what the actual penalty is if they don’t get under the cap, or is it simply a case that they have to? I’m guessing they simply have to, but that is still a big wedge even if they restructure half a dozen major contracts.

Jeez they have some stupid contracts. They can either give Janoris Jenkins 14 million in cap space to play or 7.5 to go away.

15 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Jeez they have some stupid contracts. They can either give Janoris Jenkins 14 million in cap space to play or 7.5 to go away.

they really do, what a mess, even if the cap was at a normal level their own cap would be far from clever.

5 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

It is interesting because it would seem like there could be a whole lot more players available when teams have to cut players to get under this cap.  Who are some guys that are likely to get cut that the WFT would be interested in?  Maybe the best strategy in a year like this is to not go after anybody initially unless they are in love, and wait to see who is left in the market after the dust settles.  Could be a discount free for all for any teams with the space left to sign some of these guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Hey, if the Saints need us to take Demario Davis, we can do them that favor.

I was actually thinking, how viable a strat would it be to take on other team's bad contracts in exchange for also taking draft picks off their hands. Kinda like when the Browns took on Brock Osweiler and a 2nd rounder. The Browns ended up drafting Nick Chubb with that pick...

Edited by Warhead36

11 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

they really do, what a mess, even if the cap was at a normal level their own cap would be far from clever.

The funny thing is 2022 ain’t much better for them. They have maybe one more year left before an absolute dismantlement. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I was actually thinking, how viable a strat would it be to take on other team's bad contracts in exchange for also taking draft picks off their hands. Kinda like when the Browns took on Brock Osweiler and a 2nd rounder. The Browns ended up drafting Nick Chubb with that pick...

people have talked about that.  I was also wondering if some of these teams might choose to trade this years picks for next years picks since the draft is the one place where people are forced to take on contracts

In terms of a big receiver coming here, we’ve talked about a good qb maybe being key to attracting one.  For all his warts, Winston fits that bill (as do Carr and Watson of course).  He might throw more completions to the other team than you’d like, but he’ll probably wind up with a high yardage total.  (I do have my doubts he is wiling to walk away from a starting gig with the Saints)  

Personally, I’m not too interested in paying a bunch of money to a big name receiver.  The middle tier guys might be less picky though (as well as costing less).  Broadly speaking, I’m more into signing a good backer, a not-to-expensive receiver and some cheaper guys to compete - corner/safety/etc, and playing smart with our cap to pay our own FAs as they come due.  

58 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Orlando Brown (Ravens T), wants to play LT, which could mean a Trade could be on the card's. Would look good as our LT what do you Lads/Lasses think, FA QB and Trade for Brown?. 

Last year of his rookie deal coming up, free agent in 2022. What you offering for him?

Just now, markmills67 said:

Looks a good player, would a 2nd rounder do it buddy 

I wouldn’t, especially in a strong draft year at OT like we have. Plus you’ll have to budget for a starting LT contract for Brown in 2022. May not be affordable, depending on our move at QB.

I’d consider a mildly insulting day 3 pick offer to test the water though :ols:

• Haha 2