Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

18 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Cap estimate 185m plus 16m carry over gives 201m total space available.

We appear to have around 43mil left.

Designate Smith as a post 1 June cut and its reasonable to assume we have ~60m left as cap space.

Figure around 10-15 for rooks/in-season spending and 25ish for Scherff/Allen and then things get interesting if we manage to land a ‘big’ qb - Carr/Dak/Watson.  Tough to then fit a decent (or better) FA receiver or ILB, bring back Darby or sign a replacement, etc.  

43 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Figure around 10-15 for rooks/in-season spending and 25ish for Scherff/Allen and then things get interesting if we manage to land a ‘big’ qb - Carr/Dak/Watson.  Tough to then fit a decent (or better) FA receiver or ILB, bring back Darby or sign a replacement, etc.  

We’ve already got 11m included for Allen on his 5th year option, so any extension will be cap neutral, Scherff it will be looking at around 10mil for his 2021 hit on a new deal.

2 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

We’ve already got 11m included for Allen on his 5th year option, so any extension will be cap neutral, Scherff it will be looking at around 10mil for his 2021 hit on a new deal.

What contacts do you think Sherff and Allen will get from the Skins buddy?. 

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

What contacts do you think Sherff and Allen will get from the Skins buddy?. 

somewhere around 4/60 and 4/70. 

maybe with an extra year added on to pad out the spread of the signing bonus and therefore reduce the 2021 cap hit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know he had a couple of rough games in the playoffs ironically right after Brady said he has the best hands of any receiver he ever played with. 

But wow I just read this article about Godwin, great guy, high character, workaholic -- comes off as far as intangibles as Terry Part 2.  Even has some of the same attributes like he's apparently a great blocker.

I don't know if Tampa can afford to keep both Godwin and David.  I'd easily take David here if that was the choice.  But you never know maybe they keep David and let Godwin hit the market.  He is 24 turning 25 soon. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

Yeah, Godwin and Terry would be awesome. Then I think you turn to the draft for a slot/speed guy. Round 3/4 range. 

Godwin

McLaurin

R3 rookie SWR

AGG

C. Sims

Harmon

Solid little group there. Of course the same could be said with Samuel, Corey Davis, etc. adding any of these guys coupled with a speed slot guy in the middle of the draft drastically improves our squad.

BUT hard to see any of the top guys coming here. Maybe Godwin doesn’t focus as much on team as money if he wins the SB. Allen Robinson will demand to go where there’s a QB after his experience. Juju is a bit of a head case and seems interested in going west. 

To me it likely boils down to Samuel or Davis. Samuel was drafted by this regime and would be a versatile WR2 for half the price. Feel like Davis has unrealized upside as well with his pedigree.

Wonder if we do go hard after Hunter Henry. He and Thomas would be a fun and versatile duo. I assume Moss would be in like to back them up if he goes into camp healthy. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't know if Tampa can afford to keep both Godwin and David.  I'd easily take David here if that was the choice.  But you never know maybe they keep David and let Godwin hit the market.  He is 24 turning 25 soon. 

The way Rivera talked about our D, saying that the DL was the core group that we just need to ‘plug-in’ a couple of pieces around, seems to me that implies mid level investment at LB and DB, not high end David type free agency.

Think the cash and cap is going on QB and surrounding skill positions.

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

In the “Smart money” category, I’d consider Henry for $8-10m per year deal. Having a pair of legit TEs reduces the need of having a stud opposite Terry. Would open up the draft (R2-3) to get a guy at WR. Or Samuel/Davis + Henry for $24m APY. That would really enhance the offense without looking to the draft. 

It’s not smart money without a QB. With one, great.

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

The way Rivera talked about our D, saying that the DL was the core group that we just need to ‘plug-in’ a couple of pieces around, seems to me that implies mid level investment at LB and DB, not high end David type free agency.

Think the cash and cap is going on QB and surrounding skill positions.

I've also heard Rivera multiple times say the MLB spot is the issue he needs to fix for this defense to reach the next level.   

No doubt they are going hard at WR.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they chase both spots hard.  Because of the position and his age, I doubt David will cost something insane.  But I guess we will maybe find out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I've also heard Rivera multiple times say the MLB spot is the issue he needs to fix for this defense to reach the next level.   

No doubt they are going hard at WR.  But it wouldn't surprise me if they chase both spots hard.  Because of the position and his age, I doubt David will cost something insane.  But I guess we will maybe find out.

obviously we don’t know how our draft picks are going to look come April, but I could see  us bringing in a mid tier LB and DB, or that could be Darby, then add one of each in the middle of the draft. Some way to go yet and some bigger decisions to be made first.

Just now, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

obviously we don’t know how our draft picks are going to look come April, but I could see  us bringing in a mid tier LB and DB, or that could be Darby, then add one of each in the middle of the draft. Some way to go yet and some bigger decisions to be made first.

The way Rivera has talked about that spot where he's been blunt that not only is it a problem spot but he believes its the spot on the team that if fixed is most likely going to help this defense take that next leg up.  He sounds code red to me about that spot.   There aren't though a lot of options in FA so he might be forced to go mid tier whether he likes it or not.  My two favorites would be veterans:  David or Wright. 

the theme of the off season to me seems to be:  QB, WR, MLB. 

I know some think it should be O line but at least judging by Rivera's rhetoric, I don't think so. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

To an extent, I agree. But this off-season is as much about 2022 and beyond as it is about 2021. Of course I want THE QB this off-season. But idk if we will land them. Maybe you hold off on Henry. But you can't just say "screw it" and fail to invest at all in offensive weapons if you don't find the franchise QB.

Heinecke and Allen have a way better chance of being successful this year if they have McLaurin-Samuel-Amari Rodgers-Henry-Thomas and the stable of RBs than they are if they have what they had last year. Obviously they won't NOT add talent, but you get my point.

Or, if you draft a mid-round guy, or get a reclamation project like Mariota, they are more likely to be successful surrounded with talent. And if they aren't you want that talent to be in place in 2022 for whoever you pursue then.

BUT let us say we trade up for Fields. We give up 19, 51, 2022 1st and 3rd to do so. You are now limited in your ability to build the team through the draft the next two years with early picks.

Sure you can add a TE or a WR with the 3rds this year and a 2nd next year, but you are gonna need to be extra surgical in FA. ANd to me that means adding Henry+Samuel for maybe a tad more combined than if you were to add Robinson as a splashy signing. More and diverse weapons wins the day, IMO.

• Like 1

@UK SKINS FAN 74Don’t know how I came up with needing to add money for Allen this year, thanks for the reminder!

@JamesMadisonSkins I like the outside-of-the-box thinking in terms of Henry.  Personally, I’d rather have a youngster to develop, but it does offer some intriguing possibilities.  Thomas and Henry can both play some inline and split wide (or slot), and coupled with 2 back sets, gives us the option to switch from heavy looks to spread looks and run or pass out of both.  

@SkinsinparadiseI knew RR had touted LB, but didn’t realize (or had forgotten) it was to that extent.  Good stuff, thanks.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Or, if you draft a mid-round guy, or get a reclamation project like Mariota, they are more likely to be successful surrounded with talent. And if they aren't you want that talent to be in place in 2022 for whoever you pursue then.

BUT let us say we trade up for Fields. We give up 19, 51, 2022 1st and 3rd to do so. You are now limited in your ability to build the team through the draft the next two years with early picks.

you also though got to factor that every draft isn't the same.  Part of the buzz about this years 2021 draft is also about how meh the 2022 draft is looking right now.  And the FA crop for QB looks even more pathetic.  Yes, things can change but you only know what you know now.

If you love for example Justin Fields and don't think that lets say Rattler is another clone of him and you don't like the depth at that position then it might add to the urgency of now versus later.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I am admittedly a total cap nerd. Every couple weeks I am inspired to run an exercise on the cap. Here is this week's iteration. 

Combining OTC and Spotrac ... Spotrac has 200m as the expected cap (15m rollover + 185m league cap).

June 1st Cut Smith

Extend Scherff - 4 years - $60m

Extend Darby - 4 years - $40m

Extend Moreau - 3 years - $9m

Extend Pierre-Louis - 3 years - $6m

Extend Hopkins - 3 years - $4.5m

RFA Heinecke - 1 year - $2.3m

Extend Sundberg - 3 years - $3.3m

ERFA K. Allen - 1 year - $850k

Top 51 Salary Commitments: $163m

Top 51 Salary Cap Remaining: $37m

---------------------------------

Draft-Class Salary Pool: $7.3m

In-Season Salary Reserves: $10m

---------------------------------

Remaining Top 51 Salary Cap for FA's: $20m

------------------------------------------------------

Curtis Samuel - 4 years - $38m

Jayon Brown - 4 years - $35m

Gerald Everett - 3 years - $15m

Malik Hooker - 2 year - $8m

Total 2021 Cap Hits: $21m

------------------------------------------------------

That's about the off-season we can expect if we don't add a big-name QB and go the draft route to get the answers.

FWIW, this FA cycle would hit the key hole ... WR, TE, MLB, FS and open up the draft to use assets to get a QB and fill in the rest of the roster.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

the projected $198 from spotrac and OTC for the WFT team cap was based on 175+23 rollover from 2020. So our team cap should be around 208 now. 

I understand how Sportac works, it was reported by different outlets and Mike Florio over the past couple months they were hearing the ceiling would be $198M.

1 minute ago, JSSkinz said:

I understand how Sportac works, it was reported by different outlets and Mike Florio over the past couple months they were hearing the ceiling would be $198M.

Ah, okay got it. Sorry, Spotrac happened to have our cap at that exact number (198) when the cap was being placed at 175, so I thought you were thinking the 185 number would be a drop from that 198. My bad.

But Spotrac now has it at 200, 15 rollover and 185 for the leaguewide cap.

• Like 1