Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

We aren’t getting a top 3 WR in free agency with the QBs we are currently being ‘linked’ with, outside of Carr I would say. Using the worked ‘linked’ with loosely of course...

For me, I can see us landing JuJu if Darnold is acquired, history there. Or Samuel might come in based on the Carolina connection, and I could see him being vastly overpaid. In fact, both of those could get vastly overpaid.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Like 1

The market is what the market is. It seems Salaries around the league are skyrocketing for the top end talent. 

Robinson 20

Godwin 18 prob be signed or Franchised

Golladay turned down 16 supposedly so 17-18

JuJu 16

Samuels 12

Davis 10

Hilton 10-11

Higgins 6

Cole 6-7? Sport Rac Didn’t have a figure

Bourne 5-6? “. “

But I’d agree Robinson most likely isn’t coming with our QB’s currently.

Edited by COWBOY-KILLA-
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

But I’d agree Robinson most likely isn’t coming with our QB’s currently.

He's only 2 degrees away from WFT...and our QB's in particular

He's been coached by Nagy...And...

Nagy & Alex have a beautiful bromance.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

He's only 2 degrees away from WFT...and our QB's in particular

He's been coached by Nagy...And...

Nagy & Alex have a beautiful bromance.

Now Alex Smith to the Bears is very possible. It was implied many months ago that he could end his career there......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, that amazing FA WR class could suddenly dry-up real quick. I still think Curtis Samuel is our logical target given his history with Ron/Turner in Carolina. Some forget that he was essentially the Panthers WR1 down the stretch. Think he's that perfect "WR2" with upside going into a 2nd contract.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

18 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well, that amazing FA WR class could suddenly dry-up real quick. I still think Curtis Samuel is our logical target given his history with Ron/Turner in Carolina. Some forget that he was essentially the Panthers WR1 down the stretch. Think he's that perfect "WR2" with upside going into a 2nd contract.

I think there’s no question he’s the primary WR target for us.

• Like 1

Is the Orlando Brown trade request new news? I can't tell from the headline that just flashed up. I'm assuming a Probowl Left Tackle will cost a mint but it's a position of need for us and we have more Cap space than most.

(I keep reading and writing Orlando Bloom!)

2 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Is the Orlando Brown trade request new news? I can't tell from the headline that just flashed up. I'm assuming a Probowl Left Tackle will cost a mint but it's a position of need for us and we have more Cap space than most.

(I keep reading and writing Orlando Bloom!)

I mentioned Brown in an earlier post, I would dangle a 2nd round pick to the Ravens and see if they Bite, if we are going with Heinicke we can afford him and Re-up Sherff easily. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure I like the idea of chasing a big name FA receiver if we don’t land a good qb (from Winston>Carr>Wilson>Watson), and I see little chance of acquiring that qb.  Of course, as has been pointed out, our chances of landing a good receiver probably diminish a fair bit if we don’t have a ‘top’ qb.

We can point to the Cooper situation to further the idea that receiver is perceived as a top need (by the FO), but it also seems like one of the reasons we chased Cooper last season was because the coaches wanted to give Haskins a fair shot with a good supporting cast.  With that out the window, feels like our better option is to look to the draft for a receiver to develop alongside a young qb.  By the time they’re up for new contracts, the contracts for guys like Collins, Scherff, Allen, Io and Roullier will be off the books.  Curtis Samuel is my wildcard here though with familiarity, ability to play slot, and capability to fill in as a #1 if Terry misses time.

Assuming Scherff is re-signed, and given how the oline played last year, I tend to doubt we try to address LT/LG in FA.

Off the cuff here, but to me, the smart move seems to look at FS, corner and ILB in FA (maybe a solid #2 TE), and look to the draft for receiver (hopefully a couple), oline to groom, probably another ILB, developmental TE, and then corner/rb help (not in that order).  

Those 3 FA positions have the draw of getting to play behind this dline, sort of the inverse situation of chasing a big name receiver.

Wouldn’t feel the need to force a pick, beyond maybe making sure we land a potential starting slot receiver.  

With that said, I’m thinking the FO looks hard at trading up for qb.  I’d guess they come up short - the ‘smart’ in the “aggressive, but smart” methodology they’re espousing coming into play - but even if they do trade up, at least they’re not losing picks and cap.  They can still land a few pieces to develop via the draft from that list above.  Potential starting level rb, developmental ILB and receiver, and depth/competition at corner/OL (especially LT) isn’t too tall an order with whatever picks they’ll have left.

47 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

What about Davis? I would include him in the mix

Agree, maybe not as sure on that, but his price may be more in our range..

I can see Samuel due to the links we have to Carolina. I’ve been on that one for a while.

As for JuJu, there was a rumor several weeks back that we would be in on him. I could also see him being keen to come here if we bring Darnold in, to reunite from their college days.

Edited by UK SKINS FAN 74
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree, maybe not as sure on that, but his price may be more in our range..

I can see Samuel due to the links we have to Carolina. I’ve been on that one for a while.

As for JuJu, there was a rumor several weeks back that we would be in on him. I could also see him being keen to come here if we bring Darnold in, to reunite from their college days.

JuJu would be terrible...overrated player who had one good season and spends too much time creating unnecessary distractions for his team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Samuel and JuJu, yep that’s our market imo.

On receiver, if we don't move the first for a QB and Darrisaw is off the board, I'd trade it down for more picks and pick up a couple guys (an outside WR and a slot WR) in the draft. There seem to be a million guys at WR this year who can be Day 1 contributors

4 minutes ago, method man said:

On receiver, if we don't move the first for a QB and Darrisaw is off the board, I'd trade it down for more picks and pick up a couple guys (an outside WR and a slot WR) in the draft. There seem to be a million guys at WR this year who can be Day 1 contributors

I’m open to trading back as well, don’t think we are shelling out #19 on a vet QB via trade now.

• Like 1

Re: WR, here's my thinking.

We are all super distracted by the "shiny toys" that could be on the market. Lots of quality talent at WR. Signing Golladay, Robinson, Godwin, etc. would propel us into a top tier WR group. But we have a stud in McLaurin and a lot of young talent already in the group. I'm not quite ready to bail on Harmon/AGG ... so I'm probably hitting a mid-tier WR in free agency (Curtis Samuel, Corey Davis) and using a 2nd or 3rd on another WR. IMO that's the smartest/safest path to building a well-rounded unit.

McLaurin, Curtis Samuel, AGG, Harmon + a 2nd or 3rd round WR would be a decent, young, high upside unit and the resources/costs of that group would remain relatively low. You'd probably have all 6 of your rostered WRs under contract for the price of one of the premier FA WRs.

I guess my thinking is ... McLaurin + Robinson/Godwin/Golladay would be a Top 5 WR duo. BUT, why would we go invest in that without a proven option at QB to get them the ball?

McLaurin + Samuel, however, is still a potent 1-2 punch and Samuel knows the offense well and is a playmaker. You probably save $$ on Samuel, which can be used to keep McLaurin long-term and build around those 2.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Did Curtis Samuel perform well under Turner? I could be wrong, but I feel like he didn't really do much until last season. I certainly like him aa an option, but I wonder if he would want to play in this offense again. Just a thought. 

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Re: WR, here's my thinking.

We are all super distracted by the "shiny toys" that could be on the market. Lots of quality talent at WR. Signing Golladay, Robinson, Godwin, etc. would propel us into a top tier WR group. But we have a stud in McLaurin and a lot of young talent already in the group. I'm not quite ready to bail on Harmon/AGG ... so I'm probably hitting a mid-tier WR in free agency (Curtis Samuel, Corey Davis) and using a 2nd or 3rd on another WR. IMO that's the smartest/safest path to building a well-rounded unit.

McLaurin, Curtis Samuel, AGG, Harmon + a 2nd or 3rd round WR would be a decent, young, high upside unit and the resources/costs of that group would remain relatively low. You'd probably have all 6 of your rostered WRs under contract for the price of one of the premier FA WRs.

I guess my thinking is ... McLaurin + Robinson/Godwin/Golladay would be a Top 5 WR duo. BUT, why would we go invest in that without a proven option at QB to get them the ball?

McLaurin + Samuel, however, is still a potent 1-2 punch and Samuel knows the offense well and is a playmaker. You probably save $$ on Samuel, which can be used to keep McLaurin long-term and build around those 2.

I am totally on board with this logic. There needs to be 2 or 3 WR upgrades. At least 1 if not 2 will come from the draft.

Samuel and Davis should be targets in FA. The other guy I have suggested that bring a little more experience (yes 31 so older) to work with all the young receivers is Marvin Jones. He would be not be in the top tier of cost.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am totally on board with this logic. There needs to be 2 or 3 WR upgrades. At least 1 if not 2 will come from the draft.

Samuel and Davis should be targets in FA. The other guy I have suggested that bring a little more experience (yes 31 so older) to work with all the young receivers is Marvin Jones. He would be not be in the top tier of cost.

Marvin Jones will be going to LA with Stafford... it's 99% chance.

We are a defensive team with a tremendous opportunity to build an elite D with some upgrades at LB/CB I would much rather focus $$ there than to break the bank at WR.  Let’s build on our strength if we are going to spend big.  We still have the opportunity to build through the draft as well.  We found McLaurin in the 3rd round.  No need to know moves out of desperation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1