Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Peter King mentioned he expected a huge 70-100% increase payment for TV rights.

Got to think the pressure is on from some quarters to inject some extra cap space into the league. I could see a push to get the floor up from 175mil to nearer the 195+mil level that the 2020 season operated at. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

This is another downside to Kyle's departure. And it's a big one.

As our history indicates, expect Kyle to raid our Free Agents, as much as he possibly can.

Some of the players that have a good chance to go to Atlanta, are...

Ryan Anderson

Ryan Kerrigan

Ronald Darby

Fabian Moreau

David Sharpe

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/washington-football-team-free-agents-the-falcons-may-look-at-with-kyle-smith-in-the-fold/ar-BB1drSOg

Losing Darby, would hurt the most.

Losing both Darby and Moreau would be a major hit on our CB's

Darby is the one risk.  Others are guys we could expect to go and if they actually sign somewhere that would be useful for us

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Forbes isn't an insider but a FA geek and can be right about some FA tidbits

He's dead right about that 2nd tier.  And really I'd downgrade Davis into his own tier.  He has a lot of solid traits and measurables but the one thing they can't measure is the thing he lacks the most: HEART

Davis has the same disease Doctson had with slightly minor symptoms.  If he ends up on the Skins he's going to be the whipping boy of this entire board rather quickly.  Everyone sees elite draft status and decent stats but what they are missing is that he's done the bare minimum with all his gifts.  He is absolutely not worth 10m+ although some team will probably give it to him.

Let's try it this way...

How much should a former 5th overall pick who averages 51 catches for 712 yards and 3 TDs per season earn?

Edited by 86 Snyder

If we are smart, we should be super aggressive over this offseason and next in free agency. As in theory, our QB will be cheap no matter what for the next 4-5 years. Best scenario is we draft our Herbert in 2022 and he is good any by the time he is in line for his big payday, the contracts from this season and the next are coming off the books

2 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

JP has kind of gone off the rails but also mentions they're going to cut Alex Smith.

YES.  Spend big $$ on big time players, not *almost* big $$ on overpriced mid tier players.  Sign me up for Arob and David all day long. What an impact that would be.

• Like 1

I don't want to spend anything really in FA, unless it's knocking picks out of the park. Like David would be fantastic and run our defense for years, making a strength even stronger.

At FS, I really want Maye, but I think he's getting tagged. Williams would be a great FS to pick up too, but otherwise Simmons and Harris would be my goal. I'd rather stick with Trap and Reaves than sign Neil or Tartt. Although Hooker is intriguing. I'd definitely do a prove it for him, but it's boom or bust on these guys. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Forbes isn't an insider but a FA geek and can be right about some FA tidbits

JuJu would be an excellent target - so to speak.  He had 97 catches last year.  His yards per catch was so low because Ben never threw downfield.  Remember, he had an outstanding 2018 with 111 catches for 1,426 yards, and he's still just 24 years old.  And he's known for his toughness.  I think it's at least arguable that he's on the same level as Robinson and Goodwin.    

11 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I don't want to spend anything really in FA, unless it's knocking picks out of the park. Like David would be fantastic and run our defense for years, making a strength even stronger.

At FS, I really want Maye, but I think he's getting tagged. Williams would be a great FS to pick up too, but otherwise Simmons and Harris would be my goal. I'd rather stick with Trap and Reaves than sign Neil or Tartt. Although Hooker is intriguing. I'd definitely do a prove it for him, but it's boom or bust on these guys. 

Agreed. Be aggressive at couple key players then step back.

There will be plenty more FA's available due to cuts.

The market will cool a little then fill more holes. Some players will be in the 2nd or 3rd tier guys or on one year deals. Play smart not the Vinny way

• Like 1

I'd be willing to spend big on a short term(like 3 year) heavily front loaded contract on Lavante David but that's it. He'd be this generation's London Fletcher and we have nothing at the LB pipeline(Holcomb is okay but don't think he projects to be anything more than a decent player at best).

For the approximately the same price, if you could sign Allen Robinson OR both Curtis Samuel and Jamison Crowder..... which would you choose?

I’m leaning towards the latter. Sign Lavonte David.... draft Najee Harris. And I won’t think it’ll matter who’s behind center.

Crowder would also upgrade special teams. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I wouldn't want to spend too much in FA. It looks good now but in the coming years we're gonna have to give extensions to our DL, McLaurin, Holcomb etc.

Its nice to always have some cap flexibility. Just because you have it doesn't mean you should spend it.

Yep. We got too many of our young stars that will need to get paid and you want to resign as many as we can.

20 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Crowder would also upgrade special teams. 

Yeah, probably depends on the APY. I think a 3 year deal at around $7-8m per year would be solid. It might also open the draft up a bit to go for a bigger WR with SWR checked off. But I do think it's unlikely Crowder and Samuel both come in. The team won't look at it as "both of these v. Robinson" ... I would think they'd probably address WR in the draft, but more so if Crowder is the FA acquisition v. Samuel.

I know Crowder is very good, and a very underrated slot receiver. I would not have any issue bringing him in. He'd be a solid veteran presence, but if we were going to go with a more "frugal" off-season approach, he would be my target on a 3 year deal ... and then you go spend 2nd or 3rd round pick on a WR (or #19 if someone like Waddle falls).

Samuel is young and has the potential to have a bit more upside so maybe you wait a bit longer in the draft to bring in a SWR in the middle-rounds of the draft.

To me, the likeliest options / most realistic options at WR are, in order: Samuel, Davis, Crowder

JuJu will price himseld out. Robinson will as well. Golladay and Godwin will get the tag.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins

20 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Got to think the pressure is on from some quarters to inject some extra cap space into the league. I could see a push to get the floor up from 175mil to nearer the 195+mil level that the 2020 season operated at. 

Well, that’s the number one reason. Free agency starts 3/17. So, they hope the new tv deals are done; so they can offset the losses from last year.

If not, a lot of people will be cut. You won’t know the final cap number until literally hours before free agency start.

I'm probably being lazy not looking it up but what happened to Crowder? When he left everyone here was sobbing their hearts out. Then he had a bad season (from memory) and we all decided he was a bum and easily replaced. Now we are talking about bringing him back?

17 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Crowder will be 28 this year. He is coming off 800 and 700 yard seasons. Although he missed 4 games and started 7 last year and had some real good performances. He had 6 TDs each of the last two years.

Yeah no question he’s decent. Just doesn’t do it for me, not necessarily based on age. 

13 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Yeah no question he’s decent. Just doesn’t do it for me, not necessarily based on age. 

Yeah I think Crowder on a 3 year $21m deal to play slot + a 1st or 2nd round rookie WR to play outside would be the proper path there, which would be the "cheap" route. Not sure where you'd necessarily go with the rest of the FA moneys unless you went hard at LB and/or pushed money into the future, since WR is the clear place to spend money this off season.

STill think it'll be Samuel + a 3rd or 4th round speed guy/slot guy as a "middle ground" solution .

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins