What do you think will happen?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen?

• Impeachment but not conviction
    • Impeachment and conviction 👀
    • Impeachment fails
    • Impeachment is never brought up

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2021 at 05:00 PM

10 hours ago, The Evil Genius said:

I suspect the Senate GOP pushback is that they don't want to vote and have it go on record. Either way,  the GOP Senators are ****ed if they are forced to vote. 

The GOP will not convict him and will not vote to bar him from future office. If Trump is able to run in 24, he will either  be the GOP nominee or his patriot party will finish ahead of the GOP nominee.

11 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

This impeachment trial will be like the first one.  I think the only GOP vote for conviction you can count on is Mitt Romney.  It's iffy on Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski.  They could go either way.  That's probably it.

Will lack of conviction prevent barring Trump from future office; that's really the only point impeachment #2.

Explainer: Impeachment or the 14th Amendment - Can Trump be barred from future office?

I say we just start a GoFundMe that sends Trump the largest and most unhealthy McDonalds meals 5 times a day and let nature take its course. 

1 hour ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I want to be done with Trump for good but I agree the GOP Senate won't have the guts to do the right thing. So Plan B is to root for him to spin off a 3rd party which will split the GOP vote and guarantee a Democratic win in 2024.  

I think this is one of the GOP's worst nightmares. He'll siphon off tons of Republican votes but not enough to win the WH, and enough to potentially kill down ballot Republicans as well. Never Trumper Republicans will probably be happy to potentially have a more centrist party that they can call their own again, but it won't change the fact that the fissure would likely lead to a decade or more or Democratic rule.

With anyone else I'd be tempted to say he won't do it because he's know that he would never win that way but 1) He's just so petty and vain that it either won't matter to him as long as he "gets back" at any Republicans who he didn't deem sufficiently loyal or 2) He's also delusional enough to think he could still win as a 3rd party candidate.

Besides, I'm also not sure he actually wants to even be POTUS anymore. Or even that he ever did, insofar as it meant actually doing the job. His thing is having fawning, adoring crowds at his beck and call. And as a 3rd party candidate he'd have that everywhere he turned.

44 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Besides, I'm also not sure he actually wants to even be POTUS anymore. Or even that he ever did, insofar as it meant actually doing the job. His thing is having fawning, adoring crowds at his beck and call. And as a 3rd party candidate he'd have that everywhere he turned.

I think that once he was president and had the levers of power, it went to his head. Plus he's facing criminal and civil charges and that clock started ticking again on January 20th. If he can punt those footballs for another four years and then get re-elected again, he gets four more years and maybe runs out the statute of limitations on most. 

I definitely agree with your post. I hope he does the third party thing. It's the best for the country. 

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

I think this is one of the GOP's worst nightmares. He'll siphon off tons of Republican votes but not enough to win the WH, and enough to potentially kill down ballot Republicans as well. Never Trumper Republicans will probably be happy to potentially have a more centrist party that they can call their own again, but it won't change the fact that the fissure would likely lead to a decade or more or Democratic rule.

With anyone else I'd be tempted to say he won't do it because he's know that he would never win that way but 1) He's just so petty and vain that it either won't matter to him as long as he "gets back" at any Republicans who he didn't deem sufficiently loyal or 2) He's also delusional enough to think he could still win as a 3rd party candidate.

He was the Dwayne Haskins of politicians, loved all the perks and adulation that came with the job but didn't want to put in the work. Remember that time when he said he wouldn't have time to play golf?  That was a good time. 

God these republicans are dumbasses there is already precedent for impeachment after a person leaves office. In fact, there was a time a dude tried to resign to get out of impeachment and they still went ahead and impeached his ass. 

**** out of here GOP 

12 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

What is the point of impeaching Trump if he no longer is president?  So he can't run again?  Just to make him look worse?  Sorry I haven't read any of the news stories.

Probably just to show just how corrupt republicans are, but since this happened 3 weeks ago people barely care now and are on to the next story so they will continue to get away with nonsense. 

35 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

What is the point of impeaching Trump if he no longer is president?  So he can't run again?  Just to make him look worse?  Sorry I haven't read any of the news stories.

Can't run again is a start.  Should also be a nice way to get info out on the other corrupt congress critters that tried to get their colleagues murdered.  Also Trump loses a million dollar yearly travel budget and $200k pension and secret service detail.

51 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

Because he committed impeachable offenses and we as a country must act when our leaders foment a coup d'etat.

34 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Can't run again is a start.  Should also be a nice way to get info out on the other corrupt congress critters that tried to get their colleagues murdered.  Also Trump loses a million dollar yearly travel budget and $200k pension and secret service detail.

Actually, he doesn't lose his pension and secret service detail.  If convicted in the Senate about the only thing he loses is the ability to run for president again:

Will Donald Trump Lose His Benefits If He Is Impeached By US Senate?

The Former Presidents Act spells out the benefits ex-leaders are entitled to after leaving office, but notes that those removed from office through impeachment are not covered. "As used in this section, the term 'former President' means a person… whose service in such office shall have terminated other than by removal pursuant to section 4 of article II of the Constitution of the United States of America," it says. Matthew Dallek, professor at George Washington University's Graduate School of Political Management, confirmed in an email: "Trump only loses those things -- the consequences only kick in -- if he is convicted in the Senate. My understanding is that just being impeached in the House without conviction in the Senate has no formal consequences." Below, AFP Fact Check compares the social media claims with the law.

Pension

"For those wondering if it's worth impeaching him this time, it means he: 1) loses his 200k+ pension for the rest of his life," the posts claim. The Former Presidents Act allots each ex-president a yearly allowance paid monthly that is equal to that of an executive department head -- the departments are listed here -- and the highest level does amount to more than $200,000 per year. Trump would still be entitled to the sum, according to University of Chicago Law School Professor Daniel Hemel. "A former president does not lose his post-presidential pension unless he is impeached and convicted *while in office.* If he is convicted after January 20, he remains eligible for his pension," Hemel said in an email.

Travel Allowance

The social media posts also claim that an impeached Trump would lose a $1 million per year travel allowance following his presidency. The Former Presidents Act says up to $1 million is available "for security and travel related expenses" to former presidents as an alternative to Secret Service protection.

Security detail

A 2013 measure ensures "Secret Service protection for former Presidents and their spouses and children… except that protection of a spouse shall terminate in the event of remarriage." Allan Lichtman, US history professor at American University, confirmed by email that Trump will retain lifetime Secret Service detail, should he choose to, regardless of whether he is impeached and removed. University of Utah political science Assistant Professor James Curry agreed. "My understanding is that an impeached and removed president loses their former-president benefits, with the exception of the security detail, which they keep," he said in an email.

Click on the link for the full article

27 minutes ago, China said:

Actually, he doesn't lose his pension and secret service detail.  If convicted in the Senate about the only thing he loses is the ability to run for president again:

Will Donald Trump Lose His Benefits If He Is Impeached By US Senate?

Well a lawyer please come in here and tell me China is wrong?  It doesn't even have to be true, I just need to hear it.

6 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Well a lawyer please come in here and tell me China is wrong?  It doesn't even have to be true, I just need to hear it.

From what I have read, it is not a clear cut answer.  What China posted is a lawyers opinion.  But there are plenty out there with different opinions.

One impeaches, I suspect, to open him up for various other law suits regarding what he did.  While president, I thought he got presidential immunity unless impeached.  I would think impeaching him would be necessary for D.C. to be able to bring suit against him for what he did promoting the riot.  Am I wrong in my thoughts on what an impeachment would mean for him on the civil and criminal liability fronts?

Archived