What do you think will happen?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen?

• Impeachment but not conviction
    • Impeachment and conviction 👀
    • Impeachment fails
    • Impeachment is never brought up

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2021 at 05:00 PM

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

I think constitutional rights should be interpreted broadly, and government powers interpreted narrowly. 

I normally agree and I think my posting history supports that.  But when it is speech from POTUS and the trial can’t really result in any more punishment than losing your job, I’m willing to interpret more broadly.

Dare Trump to Testify

Donald Trump attempted to overthrow an election and install himself as an autocrat.

This is an inconvenient truth for congressional Republicans who were complicit in the scheme—the 147 representatives and senators who joined in objecting to the Electoral College vote, plus the many others who helped propagate Trump’s lies—so they want his impeachment trial to be about something else. Anything else.

Some of them want to raise process questions, using constitutional mumbo jumbo conjured from the region of Jonathan Turley’s frontal cortex dedicated to maintaining his relevance.

Some of them want to parse the president’s rhetoric. Was it a little too hot or too cold? Didn’t he once use the word “peaceful”? Have there been liberal politicians in the past who have said something vaguely similar to what Trump said that the Democrats now label incitement?

Some of them want to turn the proceedings into a circus. Lindsey Graham suggested calling the QAnon shaman to the stand, and last night on Fox threatened to drag the trial out for months with new witnesses to derail the Biden agenda.

This is the turf where the Republicans think they win. The pedantic. The preposterous. The political gamesmanship.

The turf where they lose? Donald Trump’s actions. His ongoing refusal to own up to his lies.

That’s why the Democratic senators should call Lindsey Graham’s bluff. If Trump’s defense team wants to call pro-coup witnesses, have at it. But Donald Trump himself should be one of them.

The best way to force the impeachment conversation to be about Trump’s actions and lies—and congressional Republicans’ complicity in them—is to demand he testify at the scene of the crime.

Click on the link for more

Rachel Maddow Says Donald Trump's Impeachment Defense Gives the GOP a Catch-22

A brief submitted by the legal team of former President Donald Trump to defend him from charges of "inciting insurrection" in his upcoming Senate impeachment trial states that he still considers himself president, an assertion that potentially places Senate Republicans in a Catch-22 situation, forcing them either to contradict Trump or contradict their own claims that he's an ex-president, and thus un-impeachable.

Speaking on MSNBC, political commentator Rachel Maddow said Tuesday night:

"The President's defense brief did, in fact, argue Trump's line that Joe Biden maybe wasn't legitimately elected to be president. The whole brief, for one, never once describes Donald Trump as the former or previous president... The brief argues that the election results that voted Trump out and Biden in, it argues that those results are, and I quote, 'suspect.' It argues that when President Trump told his supporters on the day of the attack that he had actually won the election in a landslide, well they argue in their brief today that there's no evidence to say that's false."

Trump's defense states in part that he can't be convicted of inciting an insurrection on January 6 because, the brief claims, he was merely stating his belief that he won the election in a landslide—even though more than 60 lawsuits making similar assertions have mostly been thrown out of courts due to lack of evidence.

As such, Trump's defense potentially puts Senate Republicans in an awkward position.

On January 27, 45 Senate Republicans voted to declare the impeachment trial unconstitutional because, they said, you can't impeach an ex-president. However, since Trump says he's still president, that means he believes that he can in fact still be impeached, thus contradicting the 45 Senate Republicans who said otherwise.

If Senate Republicans assert that Trump isn't the rightful president, that would directly contradict Trump and undermine a key part of his legal defense. That would also leave Republicans subject to possible harassment and death threats from some Trump supporters who also believe that he did win the election and that key Republicans haven't done enough to help him stay in power.

Click on the link for more

13 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I thought I read that Trump actually wanted to appear at the impeachment trial and his staff/lawyers talked him out of it.

Yeah because he can't tell the truth and he'll be under oath.  All of his supporters in the media and congress will scream "perjury trap!" before he opens his mouth.  

4 minutes ago, drowland said:

Yeah because he can't tell the truth and he'll be under oath.  All of his supporters in the media and congress will scream "perjury trap!" before he opens his mouth.  

"Lying under oath is not an impeachable offense".  

-  Every single Republican in the Senate, a year from now.  

15 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Perjury to Congress is a criminal offense. There's no way his lawyers allow him to testify. Although wouldn't that be lovely?

Someone needs to tell him how big the ratings will be.  HUGE RATINGS, bigger then Bill's!  And then maybe he'll do it.  

11 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Perjury to Congress is a criminal offense. There's no way his lawyers allow him to testify. 

But he knows more than his lawyers. 

I keep thinking of that scene in A Few Geed Men. I think he wants to testify. He wants to get on that stand and tell the truth. It burns him, having to hide from this person who he thinks is beneath him. 

Does that make him manipulable?  Make up an insulting nickname for him. Insult his courage. Refer to it as him taking the Fifth. Imply that he can't stay on topic for five minutes. Promise that if he testifies, you'll tweet what he tells you to tweet. 

Just now, drowland said:

Someone needs to tell him how big the ratings will be.  HUGE RATINGS, bigger then Bill's!  And then maybe he'll do it.  

Not a bad lever, there. "Bill Clinton was man enough to testify. Hillary was man enough to testify. Where's the smartest person in history?"

45 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Perjury to Congress is a criminal offense. There's no way his lawyers allow him to testify. Although wouldn't that be lovely?

He’s the guy in a fight that yells for his buddies to hold him back.  Then, when they don’t, he’s too chicken**** to fight.  Imagine ruining your friendships for that ****stick.

Archived