What do you think will happen?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think will happen?

• Impeachment but not conviction
    • Impeachment and conviction 👀
    • Impeachment fails
    • Impeachment is never brought up

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/20/2021 at 05:00 PM

What the Constitution really says about removal from office

How much does the text of the written Constitution matter, especially, at the level of individual words and even punctuation marks?

There are certainly limits to what one can glean from the punctuation of 18th-century English texts, replete as they are with what the lexicographer Eric Partridge referred to as "ornamental" semicolons and slapdash broken appositives. As some legal wags pointed out years ago, if one were to interpret the presidential eligibility clause in Article II ("No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President") according to the norms of English usage, with the second comma establishing that "at the time" restricts both of the previous clauses, no one who was not alive during the ratification would be allowed to hold the office.

What does the text suggest to us about the suddenly live issue of a post-presidential impeachment trial? On its face, it seems risible to suggest that a constitutional mechanism that exists in the popular imagination primarily to facilitate the removal of a sitting public official — in this case the president himself — could be applied to one whose term has expired rather than because, as House precedent has established, because he resigned in the hope of avoiding impeachment.

No one is likely to argue that the Senate has the power to remove a former president from an office that he no longer holds. A more relevant question is about the constitutional penalty of disqualification that is also outlined in the text. 

Click on the link for the rest

I think as time goes on and peace and maturity becomes the norm, Trump and his followers will just fade away. I mean, of course they'll still be around, but not in the same numbers and not in the spotlight. I think people are just generally tired and need and welcome a reprieve from the circus. We'll see, of course.

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

I think as time goes on and peace and maturity becomes the norm, Trump and his followers will just fade away. I mean, of course they'll still be around, but not in the same numbers and not in the spotlight. I think people are just generally tired and need and welcome a reprieve from the circus. We'll see, of course.

Me thinks you forget who these people where before Trump. I hope you are right though honestly. It would be alot easier.. 

1 hour ago, Simmsy said:

I don't know. I feel like maybe they put the MAGA hat in the closet but when time comes they will be reactivated. Trump runs again in 2024 ad these guys will get back to their boat parades and **** your feelings bull****.

20 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

I don't know. I feel like maybe they put the MAGA hat in the closet but when time comes they will be reactivated. Trump runs again in 2024 ad these guys will get back to their boat parades and **** your feelings bull****.

I think this is right, there will always be hardcore MAGA people who just want to express their grievances and selfishness.  But their numbers will dwindle and the less hardcore move on as the temperature lowers.  Hopefully.  

I think one of the best things that could happen is for Trump to run again in 2024, no GOPer is able to really challenge him because of the hardcore MAGA base, but the rest of the country, like 65%, either still hates his guts or has simply moved on.  

Marjorie Taylor Greene is exhibit A in why replacing the old guard can be incredibly futile. She literally has no clue how the system works. She most likely never will since so many on her side of the aisle are similar. Uneducated and unwilling to learn.

As much as I want to replace the likes of Pelosi, Hoyer, and Shumer at least they understand how Congress and our Government is supposed to function. Careful who ya primary out. 😬

Archived