Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

21 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

I know people always try to make comparisons to current players, but Heinicke reminds me of a noodle armed Doug Flutie, improbable heroics and all.

Give me this guy over some retread anyday. Still draft a QB, though :P

Flutie is the QB I always compare him to.

• Like 1

TH seems to be late on a lot of throws downfield when the WR is open. I am not sure if it is arm strength specifically, or the loft on the throw, like is he putting too much air under it, which gives defenders time to get into better position?  Is it simply being late on his reads?  That one play where Terry beats his man badly, throws his arm up to show he is open.......if the ball is delivered on a tighter line, Terry is making that catch and running for awhile.  Instead it is floated to him, and the defender has time to run over there and break it up.  Not sure if he was under a ton of pressure and had to change trajectory of the throw or not, but games like this show why it is a mistake to have final judgements on him as a QB so early based on a few really good plays vs a few really bad plays.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not many. Because it was a stupid throw. Terry absolutely made an amazing play and saved the game.

If the 2 DBs on Terry hadn't been facing away from the QB and had instead made a better play and gotten an up-for-grabs interception, everyone would be talking about what a boneheaded game-killing stupid play Heinicke made.

Those plays are always great until they go the wrong way.

This season I actually prefer that to getting sacked, incompletion, kick a FG, hope the defense holds on, go back down the field, stupid penalty like illegal formation, etc, etc, blah blah....Not really hoping for smart 5 yard dump off on 3rd and 9 that at least still gives us a shot at a FG when down by 8 pts. Go for it, **** it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Not many. Because it was a stupid throw. Terry absolutely made an amazing play and saved the game.

If the 2 DBs on Terry hadn't been facing away from the QB and had instead made a better play and gotten an up-for-grabs interception, everyone would be talking about what a boneheaded game-killing stupid play Heinicke made.

If you watch the replay of that catch, you'll notice that the ref nearby was ready to throw a flag had Terry not catched the ball, because he was frigging damn hold before catching it.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mistertim said:

What makes you think TH would have thrown it had the DBs not been facing away?  Matty Ice made a few big plays today throwing to covered receivers specifically because he saw the DBs facing away.  It was a prayer of a throw, but it may not have been as bad as some are making it out to be.  He gave our best playmaker a chance to make a play against defenders that couldn’t see the pass coming… and it worked.  

I think he had much worse passes today than that one.  

• Like 5

Just now, Wildbunny said:

If you watch the replay of that catch, you'll notice that the ref nearby was ready to throw a flag had Terry not catched the ball, because he was frigging damn hold before catching it.

I saw that as well but he still needs to throw the flag there. Always throw the flag and let the team decline it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

TH seems to be late on a lot of throws downfield when the WR is open. I am not sure if it is arm strength specifically, or the loft on the throw, like is he putting too much air under it, which gives defenders time to get into better position?  Is it simply being late on his reads?  That one play where Terry beats his man badly, throws his arm up to show he is open.......if the ball is delivered on a tighter line, Terry is making that catch and running for awhile.  Instead it is floated to him, and the defender has time to run over there and break it up.  Not sure if he was under a ton of pressure and had to change trajectory of the throw or not, but games like this show why it is a mistake to have final judgements on him as a QB so early based on a few really good plays vs a few really bad plays.

He was late on that throw.  If he lets it rip on time its a nice, easy completion.

If the defense ever comes around { doubtful } TH can give the team at least a chance to win.

Yes he makes some head-scratching throws and yes he exposed his WRs, but that stuff can be cleaned up. 

I'm sure they'll be looking for another QB, possibly in the draft, but damn at least its kinda exciting to watch the kid; He's only started a handful of games in the league, but seems that most want a Brady/Montana/Brees clone RIGHT FRIGGIN NOW, but its not gonna happen. Give the kid some damn props for not giving up and squeaking out a win FTLOG.

• Like 1

I was worried about Heinicke when we were down 10-0, he wasn't just throwing high but he was inaccurate on the short throws but he came back and lead us to TD's on the next 2 offensive drives.

I wonder if this guy can be a Kirk type but with added traits like better athleticism and the ability to lead his team to victory at the end of games. People said Kirk had a weak arm as well but we learned his arm was fine, but it took a while.

1 minute ago, Destino said:

What makes you think TH would have thrown it had the DBs not been facing away?  Matty Ice made a few big plays today throwing yo covered revivers specifically because he saw the DB facing away.  It was a prayer of a throw, but it may not have been as bad as some are making it out to be.  He gave our best playmaker a chance to make a play against defenders that couldn’t see the pass coming… and it worked.  

I think he had much worse passes today than that one. 

Sure, it's possible. Just seems to me a bit more likely that Heinicke felt like he had to do something and just tossed it up into the area he thought Terry was without thinking too much about it.

I'd be pretty surprised if Heinicke was doing any sort of specific calculations about whether a DB was facing away from him. Not because he's not capable or not smart, but because he's still so new to actually playing and in addition he was under pressure in the pocket. Matt Ryan is a 14 year veteran so I'd assume that sort of calculation is simply second nature to him by now and he doesn't even have to think about it.

As far as whether he had worse throws...I don't know. That pass was practically an underhanded lob into the end zone to a guy who had 2 DBs right around him with the game on the line. I have a feeling that might be pretty high up there on the "please don't do that ****" list that most coaches have.

But it worked, so it's awesome. But if it hadn't then we'd be talking about how he choked under pressure and made one of the dumbest decisions we've seen in some time.

For everyone wondering why Taylor was emotional in the post-game...  When he was a sophomore at ODU, his dad passed away.  He was very close with his dad as his mentor, coach, leader.... I'm sure that playing in Atlanta in front of his extended family (AND WINNING) touched him deeply when the game was over.

And after leading another Come-from-behind 4th quarter WIn.

this deserves a rebump

Edited by petey hodge
  • Like 3

I'm just happy that we've got someone who can make bull**** plays.  

For years and years every time Fox goes to a game break and Terry's like "Over here in New Orleans we've got THIS PLAY...." and it's some ****ing miracle ass **** that makes NO sense, some quarterback throwing from his ass to a wide receiver who's inexplicably open and rumbles for 40 yards and a TD...

And I'm always like "Damn, why can't we have THAT?"  We're always the team on the other end of it, standing around with our dicks in our hands while the other teams QB threw it from his ass and we whiffed on like 305196 tackles while their guy goes in for the score.

No, he's not perfect, yes he's made some dangerous throws but we've won two games this year because of him. 

I'll tell you guys something else, a lot of you act like you were born on 3rd base when it comes to being football fans.  Just because some of you can remember the 80s you act like **** ain't good enough, completely ignoring precisely how ****ty this franchise has been since the mid 90s.  I'm not saying Heinicke is the savior and he's not perfect but he's fun and for 3 out of 4 games this year we've had a chance to win with him at the helm.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 10

I think we’ve learned enough to state with confidence that Heineke is a legit NFL QB. It’s still to be discovered where he falls in that group: average, good, very good, great, but he has shown he belongs in the field with other starters. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

For everyone wondering why Taylor was emotional in the post-game...  When he was a sophomore at ODU, his dad passed away.  He was very close with his dad as his mentor, coach, leader.... I'm sure that playing in Atlanta in front of his extended family (AND WINNING) touched him deeply when the game was over.

And after leading another Come-from-behind 4th quarter WIn.

this deserves a rebump

Is Heinicke's family in Atlanta going to let Hopkins sleep on their couch ?

• Haha 5
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Title of this thread is appropriate for the week.

Him winning it in his way may unleash a sometimes unique ceiling for Heineke. 

Both of us wanting to see him run more.  From that context, I thought it was interesting to hear in the broadcast that they heard that Scott Turner wanted to see Heinicke run more citing he could have done so on some of those plays versus Buffalo.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, NickyJ said:

Good one to pair with it:

A lot of people are dumping on this throw, because it was up for grabs. And yeah, it was ugly, because his arm got hit as he was trying to throw it. Better than a sack, because we're down by 8 and Hop missing everything and a D that can't stop anyone. Again, TH has to post 2 game winning drives in the last 5 minutes of a game. When is our defense going to start playing like a legitimate NFL defense, and not this cluster **** that we're seeing now?

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

How can you not love this young man?  He's the most fun I've had following the team since 2012.

He's a great story.  Cool guy.  Lots of moxie.  Great pocket presence.  If I were a genie though I'd give him more arm strength.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's a great story.  Cool guy.  Lots of moxie.  Great pocket presence.  If I were a genie though I'd give him more arm strength.  

If I were a djini I’d give him a defense and a DC with a clue. He shouldn’t have to win in a shootout every week. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1