Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Heineke should have 3-5 INTs that have been dropped.  He's been crazy lucky.

Every quarterback has throws that are sure fire ints that get dropped.

Remember Montana in the SB against the bengals.  Hit the DB right in the hands and he dropped it.  Couple plays later SF scores and the SB is theirs

• Like 3

For all the wounded duck crowd...  TH escaped a sack from the guy on the ground...  spins out and has a man jumping all up in his face.  Perhaps he was trying to throw it out the back of the endzone... with McLauren lurking in the area.  Lucky?  Sure. 

image.png.cee1d7698c952eb4e36aacdb684f70b4.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 3

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

TH's ability to extend plays is probably his best attribute.  If you just isolate all his plays from this game it's crazy how he misses on a lot of routine throws and passes that should be easy completions, yet he also finds ways to work some magic in there.  

The schedule is about to get super rough so we will see what happens.  I really hope Scott Turner starts to just embrace what makes TH....TH, and get him moving around more by design. 

He completed 69.7% of his passes today for 290 yards and a 127.1 passer rating, and you come up with "he misses on a lot of routine throws"?

• Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

“You can’t say enough about him,” McLaurin said. “The way he extends the play, he gives us a chance — no play is ever dead when Taylor’s back there.”

The final score had meaning for McKissic as well. He grew up a couple of hours away in Alabama and had a number of friends and family in attendance.

Both receivers excelled at creating space to catch a pass once the initial play broke down and Heinicke had to scramble.

The team runs through the drill every day in practice, and Carter said the key is to commit to whatever direction the receiver decides to go.

“I think it’s just being sudden,” he said. “Changing direction after Taylor breaks the pocket, and getting separation from whoever’s covering you.”

https://richmond.com/sports/professional/taylor-heinickes-heroics-save-washington-in-dramatic-victory-over-atlanta/article_0d88ca77-8cc6-57b9-a8d1-7cd9636eec6a.html?=1234

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Heineke should have 3-5 INTs that have been dropped.  He's been crazy lucky.

Have many games have we had dropped INTs by our defense?  That’s sports.  You can’t fault him for things that didn’t happen. Hopefully TH learns from the situation. 

I still like what I see. The situation doesn’t seem too big for him and I like the shots of him scanning the field. Once he figures out what throws he can routinely make against NFL defenses, he should be enough (assuming our defense becomes average). His mobility and moxie will buy him time to grow. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, Leonard Washington said:

Have many games have we had dropped INTs by our defense?  That’s sports.  You can’t fault him for things that didn’t happen. Hopefully TH learns from the situation. 

I still like what I see. The situation doesn’t seem too big for him and I like the shots of him scanning the field. Once he figures out what throws he can routinely make against NFL defenses, he should be enough (assuming our defense becomes average). His mobility and moxie will buy him time to grow. 

we were playing "up" to our competition today... 

7 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Ha, ha....hence the "it" factor....he'll learn not to force those throws. 

Yeah I don't really get how "it" somehow causes DBs to drop interceptions.

Anyway, I think I remember the 3 dropped INTs and IIRC all 3 weren't so much him forcing something that wasn't there but were more combinations of him not throwing soon enough and not having enough arm strength to get the ball there after waiting until the guy was more open.

Throwing sooner and with more anticipation can come with more experience so that's not a huge deal. But without the arm strength to get it there late, he absolutely has to get his anticipation to tip top shape or those are eventually going to change from dropped INTs into real INTs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

TH seems to be late on a lot of throws downfield when the WR is open. I am not sure if it is arm strength specifically, or the loft on the throw, like is he putting too much air under it, which gives defenders time to get into better position?  Is it simply being late on his reads?  That one play where Terry beats his man badly, throws his arm up to show he is open.......if the ball is delivered on a tighter line, Terry is making that catch and running for awhile.  Instead it is floated to him, and the defender has time to run over there and break it up.  Not sure if he was under a ton of pressure and had to change trajectory of the throw or not, but games like this show why it is a mistake to have final judgements on him as a QB so early based on a few really good plays vs a few really bad plays.

That deep out is the hardest throw to make for any QB. If Heineke had just a little bit stronger arm that is an easy completion. 

I will add that heinike was the 3rd highest rated QB this weekend. He threw 3 TD's and was just short of 300 yards. This in his 5th start in the league. I am sure we would all take that every week from him in a heartbeat. :)

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

IMO his strength is he has some Russell Wilson in him on three fronts.

A.  His ability to escape the pocket and make off platform throws -- he's off the carts on that front like Wilson

B.  Like Wilson he's a gamer.  Makes big plays in big moments. 

C.  He has a never say die attitude on plays

Week 12, we play Seattle, so then we find out ;)

Maybe after that game, Seattle fans will be saying their QB is Heinicke-like.

Also, in a span of 4 games, three of those opponents will include Mahomes, A-Rod, and Brady. Then, it's Russell Wilson a couple weeks after Brady

He's got some nasty tough competition this season. Hopefully it just makes him better, playing against and learning from other Legends.

From past legend to future legend

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

31 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

For all the wounded duck crowd...  TH escaped a sack from the guy on the ground...  spins out and has a man jumping all up in his face.  Perhaps he was trying to throw it out the back of the endzone... with McLauren lurking in the area.  Lucky?  Sure. 

WTF is our entire line doing on that play!?!? Flowers is blocking a ghost, Cosmi is 2 yards past the line of scrimmage and Leno is admiring Taylor. This is clearly a case where Heinicke makes up for deficiency of other players. 

35 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

It's not luck, if he keeps doing it over and over again.

Heineke is sort of an enigma.  The issues folks are discussing about some of his throws are real.  Some of those throws should be intercepted every week but they aren’t.  He doesn’t look like a guy that should be leading game winning drives.  But he does.  The “it” factor is real.  He’s clearly a gamer.  

Like someone said earlier, I think it’s best to not project his future as a starter here and just enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Week 12, we play Seattle, so then we find out ;)

Maybe after that game, Seattle fans will be saying their QB is Heinicke-like.

Also, in a span of 4 games, three of those opponents will include Mahomes, A-Rod, and Brady. Then, it's Russell Wilson a couple weeks after Brady

He's got some nasty tough competition this season. Hopefully it just makes him better, playing against and learning from other Legends.

From past legend to future legend

It will be like last year... we'll be 2-6 and on life support after that run (but a bunch of NFCE games to harvest after that). 

but I bet we steal one in the next four.

19 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

WTF is our entire line doing on that play!?!? Flowers is blocking a ghost, Cosmi is 2 yards past the line of scrimmage and Leno is admiring Taylor. This is clearly a case where Heinicke makes up for deficiency of other players. 

That's after the play broke down. Heinicke had already spun around and then come back the other way. When plays break down like that and you grab a capture you'll see guys looking around for people to block, so there's nothing that odd about it really.

If you watch the actual play, you'll see that the OL guys actually did an ok job in their individual matchups, but for some reason Bates was left 1 on 1 with Fowler on the right and he completely whiffed on his block. Not sure whether the protection was called poorly or if they actually thought Bates could block Fowler.

Fowler then got into the backfield and that's when Heinicke almost got sacked, but spun out and went back the other way. That's the screenshot you're looking at.

1 minute ago, petey hodge said:

It will be like last year... we'll be 2-6 and on life support after that run (but a bunch of NFCE games to harvest after that). 

but I bet we steal one in the next four.

Saints and Broncos are beatable, especially if Bridgewater is still out. If we can get the D playing mediocre by then, we could still be .500

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

That's after the play broke down. Heinicke had already spun around and then come back the other way. When plays break down like that and you grab a capture you'll see guys looking around for people to block, so there's nothing that odd about it really.

If you watch the actual play, you'll see that the OL guys actually did an ok job in their individual matchups, but for some reason Bates was left 1 on 1 with Fowler on the right and he completely whiffed on his block. Not sure whether the protection was called poorly or if they actually thought Bates could block Fowler.

Fowler then got into the backfield and that's when Heinicke almost got sacked, but spun out and went back the other way. That's the screenshot you're looking at.

What the screen shot shows me is that that pass rusher was way inside his "personal-space bubble"...  and people are faulting him for throwing a duck when the pass rusher could've literally high-fived him.

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Sorry that image clearly shows that the line gave up on the play!  Lineman are supposed to keep blocking until they hear the whistle. 4 of our 5 lineman are watching Heinicke and stopped blocking. 

Also the ball hasn’t left his hand yet!!

Edited by skinsfan93