Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

I think the guy can run an offense on a pro level. hes quick to read a defense has pocket presence and can kill you with his legs. he may not have mahomes arm but he has his heart and can lead this team. hes got an arm that can feed his guys and win. TE and Defense gelling right now and wed be ****ting sparkles

Edited by dunfer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I suppose the big question is this: How many games would we have won with Fitz? Smith? Allen? McCoy? Cousins?

I think we likely have a loosing record with all of them.

We'd be 4-0 with Allen as QB. He'd be completing 30 percent of his passes with a 1.3 yard per pass average and playing with a defense that was equally awful, but somehow we'd still be undefeated... and everyone in the fanbase would be miserable.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan isn't that different from most of the media who cover the team.  Their thesis is Heinicke is a nice story but they don't think he's the long term answer here just yet.  I am listening to Nick Ashooh right now.  He's echoing the same thought.  Their take doesn't bother me.   If I was buying stock right now, I'd dip in and buy some Heinicke stock but I am not going full blown at it where I am putting major money in that stock.  I get the stay medium or I need to see more mindset.    This isn't the first rodeo where we think we got the solution in hand based on a small sample and its blown up in our faces.  Maybe the story ends up different this time.  I am certainly intrigued.  Will see.

I think what Turner said has a lot of weight. If this were a first round pick or even a fa pick up,  we'd be singing his praises. Dude has 2 game winning drives in 3 games and led us to points on 4 drives in the 4th quarter. We would have beat the Chargers of not for the fumble by Gibson. Again not saying he's an all pro but dude belongs. 

Maybe he'll become a Mullins or Beathard or a bunch of other qbs that have fizzled out (Kyle Allen) but maybe not. He has achieved highs they never achieved. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

The 2nd td to Terry was lucky, sure. But if Rodgers or Brady threw it, they would say how incredible it was. If a rookie first round qb did it, they would say how creative he was to extend the play and trust his receiver.  Heinicke may not be as good as the 2 comeback wins but he’s not as bad as the Bills loss.

Let’s keep rooting for him and watch how he continues to develop. He doesn’t even have 6 regular season starts under his belt. We can super analyze every aspect of his game and personally I don’t care how he looks playing but only care about a W. He’s 2-1 as the starter. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

I still think the "duck" touchdown was meant to be thrown out of the endzone. 

Maybe, but when a guy has “it” things just happen in a positive sense for them. The luck is behind them and they just make plays that leave you saying, “what the hell was that?”.

Heinicke has that.

• Like 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

He’s put up 30+ points* in two out of three starts that were wins.  Hasn’t happened since 2015.

*Yes, I know Carter scored on the kickoff, but the offense scored 4 TDs and a FG.  Should have been 31 offensive points.  No short fields today either.

Edited by Ball Security
  • Like 2

Just now, KDawg said:

Maybe, but when a guy has “it” things just happen in a positive sense for them. The luck is behind them and they just make plays that leave you saying, “what the hell was that?”.

Heinicke has that.

"luck" is one of those things that you really can't quantify. But, when you have a guy that never gives up, and seems to raise his game when the chips are down, everyone starts to believe. Then they start to raise their game. And things happen. It's, "I know Taylor isn't gonna fold, he's gonna ball out and if I get a chance, I can't let him down". As opposed to "Great, Kirk is gonna get his 300 in garbage time and make it look respectable, but we're done".

I think the team knows if it's close, Taylor is gonna rally them. And as a result, they also lock in more and start being exceptional.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

The 2nd td to Terry was lucky, sure. But if Rodgers or Brady threw it, they would say how incredible it was. If a rookie first round qb did it, they would say how creative he was to extend the play and trust his receiver.  Heinicke may not be as good as the 2 comeback wins but he’s not as bad as the Bills loss.

I can't see Rodgers or especially Brady doing something like that. They're too savvy and experienced. They'd know in the back of their minds that they have plenty of time and 3 more downs to get into the end zone so there'd be precisely zero reason to make such a poor decision. To either of them 4 minutes is an eternity.

As far as how it would be received I actually suspect it would be the opposite, to be honest. Everyone knows how smart Brady and Rodgers are so if they made that kind of bad decision and got super lucky with a guy making a spectacular catch, they'd probably get raked over the coals a bit over it.

Those guys are held to a much different standard than a guy like Heinicke. They're expected to make picture perfect throws to everywhere on the field on the regular. And if that doesn't happen then they get blasted. A guy like Heinicke is going to get way more benefit of the doubt for a questionable decision than Brady or Rodgers.

Edited by mistertim

The way Taylor’s been playing SHOULD change the way we approach defense.  We don’t need to play field position and keep the score low.  He can move the ball and make this offense go.

Last week was a disaster, but if they get the correct spot on the first drive and then Thomas doesn’t fumble it would have been more of a competitive shootout.

• Like 1

I don't see him as our savior just yet. With that being said hes fun to watch. A respectable game agaisnt the goat, two games where he put us in position to win  the game in the fourth quarter, decent play in relief games. 

He has  a good story, someone coming off the street to get another shot at their dream of playing in the NFL is something thats hard to not root for. He has at least shown that he deserves to be in the nfl even if just as a backup. 

What is sad is that if our defense played at the level we were all hoping for, his level of quarterback play could of made us decently competitive.

• Like 1

Just now, Thinking Skins said:

I think what Turner said has a lot of weight. If this were a first round pick or even a fa pick up,  we'd be singing his praises. Dude has 2 game winning drives in 3 games and led us to points on 4 drives in the 4th quarter. We would have beat the Chargers of not for the fumble by Gibson. Again not saying he's an all pro but dude belongs. 

Maybe he'll become a Mullins or Beathard or a bunch of other qbs that have fizzled out (Kyle Allen) but maybe not. He has achieved highs they never achieved. 

I know from other posts, Mullens, Keenum, etc that you can be a cheaper date than me at times as for falling for QBs.  It's not that I am cynical.  I've wanted to believe in every young Qb we've had, and I've mostly done so.  The only reason why I gave Haskins a harder time was because I spent a lot of time on him before the draft and wasn't a believer from the jump.  But by and large I think younger QBs deserve some rope and a chance to develop.  

I am just somewhat a cynic of small sample sizes or even for that matter a single good season from QBs who aren't per se gifted especially if they aren't rookies.  Brian Hoyer, Matt Cassel, Nick Foles, Colt McCoy, Fitz (in Buffalo), Keenum in Minny.   Heck I recall the buzz about Kevin Kolb and Scott Mitchell and the buzz about Gardner Minshew.  We supposedly missed out by failing to land Mark Sanchez (that was the narrative then) who started off good with the Jets.  There are so many of these guys.  Heck even here, Campbell looked like the answer for a bit.  Gus.  Heck maybe other teams were sleeping on Todd Collins because he looked like a gamer and I recall some were jazzed about him.  

I like Heinicke.  I like what I've seen.  And like I said if QBs were like the stock market, I'd put in some order for some stock for sure but I am not betting my mortgage on it.  I've seen enough where I think he can be the answer perhaps but not to the extent where its so slam dunk where I got no worries that it doesn't end up being a Minshew type of story.   Not that there is anything wrong with Minshew but the excitement about him dyed down and now he's seen as a backup.

So where i am coming from is i want to keep seeing more.  The longer the sample size the more I'll believe and much of that is about him proving his durability.   If this is how it looks after lets say 8 games, I am buying a lot more stock.   What sells me the most about Heinicke is his personality.  I talk a lot about that in the draft thread as to QBs -- about what's their makeup?   Interestingly when Shanny was asked about Heinicke from Sheehan, Shanny referred to how Heinicke conducted himself in the interviews he's watched and he puts some stock in that.  I think more than any position the QB spot demands players with strong work ethics and leadership skills and Heinicke looks to have both attributes with flying colors. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

The way Taylor’s been playing SHOULD change the way we approach defense.  We don’t need to play field position and keep the score low.  He can move the ball and make this offense go.

Last week was a disaster, but if they get the correct spot on the first drive and then Thomas doesn’t fumble it would have been more of a competitive shootout.

i dont think our defense is the result of anything other than a lack of talent in the backfield. Not much they can do to cover that hole. just play bend dont break and hope they get lucky

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know from other posts, Mullens, Keenum, etc that you can be a cheaper date than me at times as for falling for QBs.  It's not that I am cynical.  I've wanted to believe in every young Qb we've had, and I've mostly done so.  The only reason why I gave Haskins a harder time was because I spent a lot of time on him before the draft and wasn't a believer from the jump.  But by and large I think younger QBs deserve some rope and a chance to develop.  

I am just somewhat a cynic of small sample sizes or even for that matter a single good season from QBs who aren't per se gifted especially if they aren't rookies.  Brian Hoyer, Matt Cassel, Nick Foles, Colt McCoy, Fitz (in Buffalo), Keenum in Minny.   Heck I recall the buzz about Kevin Kolb and Scott Mitchell and the buzz about Gardner Minshew.  We supposedly missed out by failing to land Mark Sanchez (that was the narrative then) who started off good with the Jets.  There are so many of these guys.  Heck even here, Campbell looked like the answer for a bit.  Gus.  Heck maybe other teams were sleeping on Todd Collins because he looked like a gamer and I recall some were jazzed about him.  

I like Heinicke.  I like what I've seen.  And like I said if QBs were like the stock market, I'd put in some order for some stock for sure but I am not betting my mortgage on it.  I've seen enough where I think he can be the answer perhaps but not to the extent where its so slam dunk where I got no worries that it doesn't end up being a Minshew type of story.   Not that there is anything wrong with Minshew but the excitement about him dyed down and now he's seen as a backup.

So where i am coming from is i want to keep seeing more.  The longer the sample size the more I'll believe and much of that is about him proving his durability.   If this is how it looks after lets say 8 games, I am buying a lot more stock.   What sells me the most about Heinicke is his personality.  I talk a lot about that in the draft thread as to QBs -- about what's their makeup?   Interestingly when Shanny was asked about Heinicke from Sheehan, Shanny referred to how Heinicke conducted himself in the interviews he's watched and he puts some stock in that.  I think more than any position the QB spot demands players with strong work ethics and leadership skills and Heinicke looks to have both attributes with flying colors. 

Respect to your post....bottom line is that TH is the reason we are 2-2 and not 0-4....He has had no help whatsoever from his defense with a short field or playing with a lead. Thank God we have him. 

Outside of Carter's kick return TD he has had to generate all of our points basically by himself. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

its house money though. ....Mabye its the gods paying us back for the rg3 draft picks  giphy6.gif

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Respect to your post....bottom line is that TH is the reason we are 2-2 and not 0-4....He has had no help whatsoever from his defense with a short field or playing with a lead. Thank God we have him. 

Outside of Carter's kick return TD he has had to generate all of our points basically by himself. 

I think we should give some credit to Terry and McKissic for today as well. Two of those TDs were mostly them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dunfer said:

its house money though. ....Mabye its the gods paying us back for the rg3 draft picks  giphy6.gif

True.  We are due for good luck at QB.  How unlucky can one franchise be at that spot?

5 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

No doubt.  He and Terry, the O line, McKissic -- and Gibson wasn't bad.  the rest of the team "meh" today,

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

I think we should give some credit to Terry and McKissic for today as well. Two of those TDs were mostly them.

For sure, but it was TH who got the ball to them. Hell, he overcame two missed extra points and played from behind the entire game and still pulled out the win. He also lost Logan Thomas but got us the win. 

Taylor Heinicke is a work in progress who can win in this league. I'll bet if he started in week one we'd be 3-1....our defense needs to get their **** together and he'll be even better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1