Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

Wife and I got our Moderna 2.0 yesterday, again I feel obliged to note how impressed we were with the sheer efficiency of it all. Delaware has the NG & Co. running an assembly line mass site @ Dover Speedway and it literally could not have been easier. The retired nurses giving the shots knew their ****, not like some med personnel I've gotten that felt like they were throwing darts at my arm. 

Felt a twinge of ache last night, barely that this morning, figure I can always cop to it to slack out for a couple days but seriously, nothin

Couple of weeks to let it take full effect and then that's it

And if I have to get a booster down the road I'm good with that

• Like 5

Yeah I am surprised how quickly these vaccines are being made available, when it was first announced I said by June and my friend thought that was optimistic. Now here we are both fully vaxed as of last week.

As far as I'm concerned in a week and a half this is OVER for us.  My wife is not so inclined, she's still concerned about the variants and does not want to do indoor dining or a movie. I tried to explain to her that the risks of the variant are just so low, lower no doubt than the risk of SARS or EBOLA and we didn't stop our lives over those tiny risks.  It will take some time, we were both very very cautious, but this is a psychological hurdle that we will both learn to overcome. Like the first time we started going out a year ago, the first trips to the gas station were frightening, after a while you adapt and just get used to it.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

At this point, states need to move from appointments to walk-ins. We're at the point where simple convenience will get a lot more people to get vaccinated. Already had two friends up here in NYC say this makes it a lot easier for them vs. having to book.

The booking process wasn't overly easy. I signed up through the VA Dept of Health, then had a list of places to make appointments, I tried a couple without any confirmation, then a few days later I got a confirmation e-mail from multiple places. I'm sure it'll work out, but I agree with your notion that it's time to just allow walk-ins 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

At this point, states need to move from appointments to walk-ins. We're at the point where simple convenience will get a lot more people to get vaccinated. Already had two friends up here in NYC say this makes it a lot easier for them vs. having to book.

Yep, I bet that's coming pretty soon. It's a shame that there are such specific requirements to keep the vaccine viable because even though supply is finally catching up with demand, it's hard to have practices that waste more of it when there are still millions of people to go and many other countries starving for vaccines. 

God, there was such an opportunity for 45. Trump could have held vaccination victory rallies and tried to repair his legacy as the person responsible for the vaccine and helping the rollout could have taken more credit. But alas. 

1 hour ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Totally agree. My son got the link on Sunday and said it was expiring on Monday. He clicked on the link Monday and it said the link had expired. I was like WTF! He had to resign up to get another link and wait again who knows how many days now. So annoying. Also when my daughter signed up it only gave her one day and not couple of days to choose from. Again so inefficient and annoying if you are not available for that particular day.

She is going to have to skip class to get it today. 

Edited by zskins
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I am surprised how quickly these vaccines are being made available, when it was first announced I said by June and my friend thought that was optimistic. Now here we are both fully vaxed as of last week.

As far as I'm concerned in a week and a half this is OVER for us.  My wife is not so inclined, she's still concerned about the variants and does not want to do indoor dining or a movie. I tried to explain to her that the risks of the variant are just so low, lower no doubt than the risk of SARS or EBOLA and we didn't stop our lives over those tiny risks.  It will take some time, we were both very very cautious, but this is a psychological hurdle that we will both learn to overcome. Like the first time we started going out a year ago, the first trips to the gas station were frightening, after a while you adapt and just get used to it.  

I would tell her there is firm scientific evidence not a single variant exists that can evade the mRNA vaccines - less efficacious yes but still will prevent worst outcomes. The scariant headlines have been miserable, generally misinformed, and fear-mongering. Double mutant is silly. There are actually 17 mutations on the UK variant, none of which stop the vaccines from doing their job.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sticksboi05 said:

They've pretty much made every clinic in Chicago walk-in with the caveat that they still prefer that people schedule.  The only reason for the latter is that they don't want half the city thinking, "oh great, I'll head over (right after work / during my lunch hour / first thing in the morning)," and then complaining about the size of the line (not to mention the super-spreading possibilities).

On 3/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, skinsfan_1215 said:

On a related topic... I shared the saga of my in-laws before. My wife’s grandfather got vaccinated a week ago and her grandmother yesterday after lucking into a J&J shot. She never relented on not getting the mRNA ones. Now my wife’s mom has also picked up on the anti-mRNA shot thought process and saying she’ll wait for J&J. She’s also taking no steps to proactively get the shot, though she and her husband are both doing a fairly good job at not exposing themselves to risky situations.

Now, my wife’s father is a whole different story altogether. We’ve been pushing him to get his shot for a couple weeks and I finally spoke with him this morning about it (he’d been ignoring our texts and calls up until now). He was legitimately pissed we were trying to get him vaccinated. He’s convinced that the vaccines are experimental drugs that alter his otherwise phenomenal immune system and make him fully reliant on vaccines going forward. Simultaneously views covid as no worse than the flu but also subscribes to the theory that it was created in a lab and that there are actually multiple different viruses circulating in the population that are doing different things. We haven’t spent indoor time with him for over a year... he’s resentful about it because we do spend time with my family and my wife’s mom’s family, but he’s reckless and doesn’t do basic things like wear masks in his office. So yeah we’re apparently the bad people for “cutting him off” from his grandkids and trying to force him to get vaccinated. I should note that while he’s never been terribly interested in politics before, he’s absolutely fallen down the Trump-related Facebook rabbit holes in the past two years. 

Update to this post... 

I previously mentioned that my mother in law got the J&J shot last week during the pause (thanks Walmart!).

My father in law got his first dose of Moderna today as well. Caught us by surprise but he actually did it. We’re extremely relieved that fight is over and looking forward to spending time with him again soon. 

• Like 9

Thanks to the new legislation that employers ( < 500 employees) can get a tax credit for giving their employees time off to get vaccinated, I'll be getting back 2 hours of PTO I used earlier this month on my first shot, I'll get to take off early for my second shot, and spend the next day recovering without using up any PTO.  Thanks, Obama Biden.

• Like 5

On 4/26/2021 at 6:51 AM, LD0506 said:

Wife and I got our Moderna 2.0 yesterday, again I feel obliged to note how impressed we were with the sheer efficiency of it all. Delaware has the NG & Co. running an assembly line mass site @ Dover Speedway and it literally could not have been easier. The retired nurses giving the shots knew their ****, not like some med personnel I've gotten that felt like they were throwing darts at my arm. 

Felt a twinge of ache last night, barely that this morning, figure I can always cop to it to slack out for a couple days but seriously, nothin

Couple of weeks to let it take full effect and then that's it

And if I have to get a booster down the road I'm good with that

I just got second moderna yesterday.  Yesterday afternoon was fine.  This morning feels like I was dragged into the road and used as a speed bump during sub arctic temperatures.

Still will be totally worth.  Suck it Covid.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Why Black And Latino People Still Lag On COVID Vaccines — And How To Fix It

There are a lot of ways Dr. Kent Bream would describe the lines of people waiting, sometimes for hours, for COVID-19 vaccines at his community health clinic in West Philadelphia. Eager. Impatient. Frustrated, even. But "hesitant" doesn't come to mind.

As soon as the city started sending him doses, he says, demand was never an issue. In fact, Bream's clinic — which is located in a predominantly Black neighborhood — had more vaccines than it had staff to administer them.

"I said, send me vaccine and I will show you that there is not the level of vaccine hesitancy you think there is," recalls the medical director of Sayre Health Center.

Despite the high demand, the latest data show that 23% of vaccines are going to Black residents. Compare that to Philadelphia's total population, which is more than 40% Black. Vaccination rates for Black and Latino people in the city are still half what they are for whites.

These vaccine inequities are reflected across the country, where Black and Latino people consistently receive a smaller share of vaccine doses than they represent in overall population, COVID-19 cases and deaths.

In Florida, for instance, Black people represent 16% of residents but only 8% of those vaccinated. In Illinois, 17% of people who died from COVID-19 were Black, but only 9% of those vaccinated are. In Arizona, 14% of vaccinations have gone to Hispanic people, while they account for more than twice that share of COVID-19 deaths and state population.

Click on the link for the full article

50 minutes ago, Jabbyrwock said:

I just got second moderna yesterday.  Yesterday afternoon was fine.  This morning feels like I was dragged into the road and used as a speed bump during sub arctic temperatures.

Still will be totally worth.  Suck it Covid.

It will pass sometime late tonight. Then you'll crush some food and feel good. 

About 12 hours after my second shot, around 1am,  the symptoms hit and lasted for 20 hours or so. Then I was really hungry. It was an excellent meal since I wasn't able to eat all day. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’ve been going outside without a mask outdoors this entire time.  The messaging could use some real work.

Many people haven't. Some are truly still terrified, others uninformed that walking by people for a few seconds is not a risk, others truthfully, to virtue signal.

As much as the CDC can make people see, life will get closer to normal if you get vaccinated, the better. But I agree I stopped masking outside  just walking down the street a while ago.

How many unvaccinated and less than fully vaccinated people are gonna read the updated advisory and think the advisory for the vaccinated applies to them?  

Now, as for the people who over mask (I fall in this category), I see putting on a mask as such a de minimis burden, I still wear a mask whenever I go outside even after being fully vaccinated.  I don't see anything wrong with people who follow the CDC advisory and not wear masks when appropriate, but I also don't see any problem with people who choose individually to over mask like me.

• Like 4