Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

‘Unprecedented achievement’: who received the first billion COVID vaccinations?

The world has reached the milestone of administering one billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines, just four months after the World Health Organization (WHO) approved the first vaccine for emergency use, and roll-outs began in countries such as the United States and the United Kingdom. The speed at which they have been administered is remarkable, but unequal distribution of the vaccinations highlights global disparities, say researchers.

“It is an unprecedented scientific achievement. Nobody could have imagined that, within 16 months of the identification of a new virus, we would have vaccinated one billion people worldwide with a variety of different vaccines, using different platforms and made in different countries,” says Soumya Swaminathan, the WHO’s chief scientist, based in Geneva, Switzerland.

As of 27 April, 1.06 billion doses had been given to 570 million people, which means that about 7.3% of the world’s population of 7.79 billion have received at least one dose. But scientists say that more than 75% of the world’s population will need to be vaccinated to bring the pandemic under control.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Covid smacked the region hard this winter. Eleven people in Jim and Rita Fletcher’s extended circle died from it.

But no, the Fletchers, lifelong Greenevillians, will not get the vaccine.

What’s the point, they ask? The government still wants you to wear a mask indoors. “I just don’t see any benefits,” said Mrs. Fletcher, as the couple waited to see their family doctor.

People don’t put much stock in pronouncements by politicians, but they do trust Walt Cross, the proprietor of the Mustard Seed, a shop in Newport just over the county line, that takes its name from the Gospel of Matthew and carries herbs, nutritional supplements and local produce.

Mr. Cross, who is also a volunteer fire chief for ****e County, is a tall, lanky east Tennessean with a blue-eyed focus and a warm mountain drawl, whether he’s describing his preferred method to rouse people who have overdosed (ammonia rather than Narcan) or answering questions from Covid patients about how to treat their symptoms (hydrate, eat, take herbal extracts, apply hot and cold compresses).

Before going to the doctor, many people phone Mr. Cross. Or after the doctor’s medicines don’t seem to be working.

Although his father died of Covid, Mr. Cross won’t get the vaccine. “We jumped into bed with the vaccine too fast!” he said. While he won’t tell people to get it or not, he says pointedly, “Do your due diligence.”

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Edited by Cooked Crack
  • Sad 1

GOP seeks to convince vaccine skeptics within its own ranks

When a group of Republican doctors in Congress released a video selling the safety of the coronavirus vaccine, their message wasn’t explicitly aimed at their conservative constituents, but nonetheless had a clear political bent.

Getting the shot is the best way to “end the government’s restrictions on our freedoms,” Rep. Larry Bucshon, an Indiana Republican and heart surgeon who donned a white lab coat and stethoscope when he spoke into the camera.

The public service announcement was the latest effort from GOP leaders to shrink the vaccination gap between their party and Democrats. With vaccination rates lagging in red states, Republican leaders have stepped up efforts to persuade their supporters to get the shot, at times combating misinformation spread by some of their own.

“Medicine and science and illness, that should not be political,” said Dr. Brad Wenstrup, a Republican congressman from Ohio and a podiatrist who has personally administered coronavirus vaccine shots both as an Army Reserve officer and as an ordinary doctor. “But it was an election year and it really was.”

Wenstrup said both parties helped foment some skepticism, though increasingly vocal moves by other Republicans amount to acknowledgement that GOP vaccine hesitancy is a growing public health problem — and potentially a political one.

“Things could easily spiral quickly if we don’t solve this red-state-blue-state issue,” said Kavita Patel, a physician and health policy expert who worked in the Obama administration.

Patel said life could return to normal in certain parts of the country while the pandemic continues to rage elsewhere — potentially even disrupting in-person voting in primaries ahead of next year’s midterm elections.

Vaccine Skepticism Was Viewed as a Knowledge Problem. It's Actually About Gut Beliefs.

For years, scientists and doctors have treated vaccine skepticism as a knowledge problem. If patients were hesitant to get vaccinated, the thinking went, they simply needed more information.

But as public health officials now work to convince Americans to get COVID-19 vaccines as quickly as possible, new social science research suggests that a set of deeply held beliefs is at the heart of many people’s resistance, complicating efforts to bring the coronavirus pandemic under control.

“The instinct from the medical community was, ‘If only we could educate them,’” said Dr. Saad Omer, director of the Yale Institute for Global Health, who studies vaccine skepticism. “It was patronizing and, as it turns out, not true.”

About one-third of U.S. adults are still resisting vaccines. Polling shows that Republicans make up a substantial part of that group. Given how deeply the country is divided by politics, it is perhaps not surprising that they have dug in, particularly with a Democrat in the White House. But political polarization is only part of the story.

What they discovered was a clear set of psychological traits offering a new lens through which to understand skepticism — and potentially new tools for public health officials scrambling to try to persuade people to get vaccinated.

Omer and a team of scientists found that skeptics were much more likely than nonskeptics to have a highly developed sensitivity for liberty — the rights of individuals — and to have less deference to those in positions of power.

Ms. Centner once remarked that children should be kept away from windows, for fear of radiation from 5G cell towers, another baseless conspiracy theory

Ms. Centner operated a WhatsApp group called “Knowledge Is Key” (joining was optional, Mr. Centner said) on which she shared anti-vaccination material with teachers. When a parent asked if the school would mandate the flu vaccine, Ms. Centner laid out her skepticism about vaccines in a letter to parents. She cited a nonprofit organization started by Robert F. Kennedy Jr., an anti-vaccination crusader.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, FrFan said:
We will see who's wrong or right about that

I mean I'm going to trust the folks without an agenda. Maybe it was a misunderstanding but that Sputnik vaccine looking very suspect. Every time it goes outside Russia people are calling shenanigans on it.

• Like 1

We also have to stop pretending that 100% of the covid-vaccine skepticism translates to vaccine skepticism across the board.  Yes, there are plenty of anti-vaxxers out there but there is no doubt that there is also a large amount of people who have received other vaccinations and had no issue with taking them, who suddenly can't seem to trust the covid vaccine and I am willing to bet it has more to do with Covid denial in the first place more than the actual vaccine.  It's more about listening to Fox/OANN/Newsmax etc etc tell them for a year and change that Covid itself was a hoax, therefore the vaccine is also a problem.  This skepticism took root early 2020 and it's now translated to and kept on. 

13 hours ago, NoCalMike said:

We also have to stop pretending that 100% of the covid-vaccine skepticism translates to vaccine skepticism across the board.  Yes, there are plenty of anti-vaxxers out there but there is no doubt that there is also a large amount of people who have received other vaccinations and had no issue with taking them, who suddenly can't seem to trust the covid vaccine and I am willing to bet it has more to do with Covid denial in the first place more than the actual vaccine.  It's more about listening to Fox/OANN/Newsmax etc etc tell them for a year and change that Covid itself was a hoax, therefore the vaccine is also a problem.  This skepticism took root early 2020 and it's now translated to and kept on. 

I agree with this completely. I think being anti-vaxxer and being skeptical of the Covid vaccine are two completely different things. 

Anxiety seems to be the culprit in J&J vaccine fainting spells

A new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) found that anxiety appears to have caused a series of adverse effects from the Johnson & Johnson vaccine, rather than the shot itself.

From April 7 to 9, the CDC received reports of “clusters of anxiety-related events” after patients received the J&J vaccine at five sites in different states, including hyperventilation, low blood pressure, headaches, difficulty breathing, lightheadedness, nausea, and fainting, among others, at five mass vaccination sites.

At four of those sites, administrators temporarily suspended offering coronavirus vaccines due to the relative frequency of patients fainting. The fainting rate after the J&J vaccine is 8.2 people per 100,000, according to the CDC. For comparison, 0.05 people per 100,000 faint after receiving an influenza vaccine.

After conducting interviews with the 64 patients (out of 8,624) who displayed those symptoms at the five sites, the CDC concluded that none of the cases met their definition of serious side effects, and the majority were resolved within 15 minutes. The researchers attributed the symptoms to anxiety rather than any discrepancies between the J&J vaccine and its Pfizer and Moderna counterparts.

In fact, the main difference between Johnson & Johnson — also known as the Janssen vaccine — and the other vaccines is that it only requires one dose, which the CDC hypothesized could be the source of increased anxiety around it.

“Because the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine is administered as a single dose, this vaccine might be a more attractive option for persons who have needle aversion,” the report said. “Therefore, it is possible that some persons seeking Janssen COVID-19 vaccination could be more highly predisposed to anxiety-related events after being vaccinated.”

9 minutes ago, GhostofSparta said:

I'm really hoping Riot Fest (in September) doesn't have a push back to next year. Already lost Rage Against the Machine/Run the Jewels to 2022.

Did ratm and rtj announce that? I had enough friends going I was going twice... but wasn’t actually following it...

I was hoping to go see Rezz @ red rocks in September. I’ve got it all picked out and racked up so many travel points over covid it won’t even cost anything, but it’s looking like I’m scrapping it and looking for something else now. 🤷‍♂️ 

I realize we’re off topic but to wrap that conversation up... went and looked at tours

not a single dj I like is coming near the dc area and echostage only has 2 people booked for the entire year

may need to keep that red rocks trip cause there won’t be **** else to go to

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Did ratm and rtj announce that? I had enough friends going I was going twice... but wasn’t actually following it...

I was hoping to go see Rezz @ red rocks in September. I’ve got it all picked out and racked up so many travel points over covid it won’t even cost anything, but it’s looking like I’m scrapping it and looking for something else now. 🤷‍♂️ 

The show in Pittsburgh got moved to 2022, I just assumed it was the whole tour because it would be too late in the year to start it when everything opened up, but I don't know if it's everywhere or just the first % of shows?

• Thanks 1

While these countries are FAR less spread out geographically and that plays a role, Israel and the UK both saw cases slow to a trickle once 60% of the population was two weeks out from the first dose of vaccine.

We are getting closer at 44.4% of our total population. Will be interesting to see if that 60% holds up. The first dose is more important to watch than fully vaccinated in terms of cutting spread. Fingers crossed.