Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Washington Football Team at Dallas Football Team

TK
Message added by TK,

127218407_10159185092344574_820595425027

10 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think we're gonna be pounded lol, but if we find a way to eek out a dub, I'm gonna be one wild mf'er on here 😂

Yeah, i agree. I think Pittsburgh will bring us back down to earth. But, in the back of my mind, I’m kinda hoping our mini bye week vs their now only 7 days of prep can give us the edge to hand them their first loss. There would be nothing more 2020 than that. 

Realistically though, yeah we’re getting destroyed. We’re a probably two years away from being able to compete with an actual playoff team. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’m kinda hoping our mini bye week vs their now only 7 days of prep can give us the edge to hand them their first loss.

If this year's Bye Week is any indication, we probably won't be helped by this mini-bye or simulated bye.

Because after our Bye this year, we came out flat against the NYG.

But I keep telling myself this team has turned the corner, and to not use the past "patterns", to gauge the future.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I think we're gonna be pounded lol, but if we find a way to eek out a dub, I'm gonna be one wild mf'er on here 😂

My hope is that they come out angry and pissed as hell this Sunday and pound the Ravens(who will be starting RG3 by the way)and come out flat and let down against us. They'd still probably win but at least then it'd be a game.

Just got through the second half and man was that beautiful. I mean that play by Sweat was all effort. He could have just stopped on the rush and pressure, but he jumps and deflects the ball, could have just stopped on the deflection but he concentrates and gets the pic and then just runs it in. That was special. 

Same with TMAC. He didn't get the pass even though he was open but he makes a Darrell Green type play and saves us 7 on that play but it winds up being saving us 4. 

Those two runs by Gibson were just beautiful, great blocking great vision great escapability, and all that. I think he was untouched on both. Those two were the type of plays I've been waiting for from this offense because we were relying too often on perfection and 12 play drives to just stay in games. 

Added points, the plays by Apke and Reeves were critical. Reeves more than Apke but both were beautiful. Then the fake punt play by ?Danny Johnson? and ?Hudson? I don't know but Aikman did a good job pointing out how guys did their jobs perfectly. It was a stupid call that deep in their own territory with 10 to go, but we made the play. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah, i agree. I think Pittsburgh will bring us back down to earth. But, in the back of my mind, I’m kinda hoping our mini bye week vs their now only 7 days of prep can give us the edge to hand them their first loss. There would be nothing more 2020 than that. 

Realistically though, yeah we’re getting destroyed. We’re a probably two years away from being able to compete with an actual playoff team. 

We are not gonna get destroyed..Pittsbugh didnt embarrass any of our division rivals and Dallas had them beat. The Steelers are not as good as their record and we're not as bad as ours...I predict a close, physical game...Our d-line is no joke for any team.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Our OL is so much better at run blocking this year. Matsko was a hell of a pickup.

There were still people lamenting the loss of Callahan (and not even GHH bless his heart!) a few weeks ago, crazy 

• Like 1

I almost feel like Dallas threw that game. I mean not 100%, but that fake punt was so awful. It was 4th and long and the punter didn't even try and block the one defender. So then Dallas just gifts the ball deep in their own territory on what had been a pretty close game to that point. And then it almost seemed like Dallas gave up. So now Washington has beat Dallas' back-up QB, their third string QB, Cincinnati's now third string QB and Philadelphia. That Philly win is still by far the best.

There is clearly some young talent here - McLarin, Gibson, Sweat, and Young to name a few. I like that. But massive holes and no realistic plan to fill the most important position on the team (QB). And I've see nothing to suggest this team can realistically compete with even league average teams on a consistent basis. So it's surprisingly depressing to watch a win, but know: (1) this team still is not good; and (2) I don't really see the team becoming anything more than average anytime soon. I suppose average is basically the high water mark this franchise has had for the last 30 or so years, so that's something. I was just hoping for something more...

• Confused 4

12 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I almost feel like Dallas threw that game. I mean not 100%, but that fake punt was so awful. It was 4th and long and the punter didn't even try and block the one defender. So then Dallas just gifts the ball deep in their own territory on what had been a pretty close game to that point. And then it almost seemed like Dallas gave up. So now Washington has beat Dallas' back-up QB, their third string QB, Cincinnati's now third string QB and Philadelphia. That Philly win is still by far the best.

There is clearly some young talent here - McLarin, Gibson, Sweat, and Young to name a few. I like that. But massive holes and no realistic plan to fill the most important position on the team (QB). And I've see nothing to suggest this team can realistically compete with even league average teams on a consistent basis. So it's surprisingly depressing to watch a win, but know: (1) this team still is not good; and (2) I don't really see the team becoming anything more than average anytime soon. I suppose average is basically the high water mark this franchise has had for the last 30 or so years, so that's something. I was just hoping for something more...

In all fairness the punter was going out for a pass. Still an unGodly awful playcall, but the punter did his job. Hudson played his role beautifully and forced the ballcarrier to run the ball instead of pass.

And this would not be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th game that Dallas would be accused of giving up on. That is a severe problem they have dealt with all year. 

By no means does kicking the Thanksgiving stuffing out of Dallas make us a good team (I still don't think we are very good either) but it is honestly better than the alternative in terms of growth. With another solid FA period, in a time when most teams will be cash strapped and behind the monetary 8 ball no less, and another 2-3 major contributors from the draft, we can be pretty competitive very quickly next year.  Not SB level, but playoff level.

• Like 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

In all fairness the punter was going out for a pass. Still an unGodly awful playcall, but the punter did his job. Hudson played his role beautifully and forced the ballcarrier to run the ball instead of pass.

And this would not be the 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th game that Dallas would be accused of giving up on. That is a severe problem they have dealt with all year. 

By no means does kicking the Thanksgiving stuffing out of Dallas make us a good team (I still don't think we are very good either) but it is honestly better than the alternative in terms of growth. With another solid FA period, in a time when most teams will be cash strapped and behind the monetary 8 ball no less, and another 2-3 major contributors from the draft, we can be pretty competitive very quickly next year.  Not SB level, but playoff level.

I thought it might have been a pass, but the punter didn't seem to interested in doing much of anything and the ball carrier never seemed to really think about seriously passing. Just an overall headscratcher. 

I do believe the team can improve. Though I'm not super optimistic about free agency being that much of a cure all. It tends to be more fool's gold than anything. Maybe this team will make better decisions, just not crazy about signing the next Paul Richardson or the next Terrell McClain or the next Shawn Lauvao. But I don't think those types of players make huge differences anyway. To be a real winner, this team needs a QB. And that's my concern. There's no real good plan there. I mean this team hasn't had much of a real QB for the last 30 years. So that's not different. But I'd also like to see things like winning more than 10 games in a season or winning a playoff game. Pretty much unheard of occurrences the last three decades in Washington. I'm not sure now this team gets there. Beating bad teams' back-up QBs really doesn't get me very excited, and doesn't seem to really show progress towards the main goals I'd like to one day see.

6 minutes ago, Jericho said:

To be a real winner, this team needs a QB. And that's my concern. There's no real good plan there. 

There's no way for you to say this without knowing what Ron and Kyle have discussed. There's no way the guy who had Cam Newton for a decade doesn't have a plan to find a franchise QB. 

Just now, CapsSkins said:

There's no way for you to say this without knowing what Ron and Kyle have discussed. There's no way the guy who had Cam Newton for a decade doesn't have a plan to find a franchise QB. 

And by the same token, there's no way for you to say this without knowing what Ron and Kyle have discussed. You're basically saying the opposite of me, that this team has a great plan for the QB position. But you have the same problem that I do, neither of us are speaking directly with Ron and Kyle. You're just assuming there is a great plan. But by your own logic, you can't know one way or the other.

The team (and Ron and Kyle) may or may not have a plan, but even if it does have a plan, it does not mean the plan is a good one. Any plans at this point have to be pretty vague though. There's no trades in place, there's no free agents willing to sign here, and no one knows who will be in the draft, let alone who might available when Washington picks.. Cam Newton was the #1 pick in the draft, so Carolina at least controlled who they got that year. This team isn't picking #1. It won't have that luxury.