Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

2 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

That was 8 weeks ago bud. But keep pretending like we can do anything with **** tier QBs

Yet it was so profound that you made an entire thread about it halfway into his first season. You’re not a knee jerk guy at all.

To actually respond to your post, though, I don’t think our roster is in a good enough spot to give up that much capital unless we have a way to get some of it back.

I would welcome Watson as a player and he is a tremendous upgrade. But if he goes down or his style doesn’t mesh with the current structure and it fails it’s franchise killing. That can’t be lost. And to your point, neither can his impact. If the trade happens I’d put faith in the front office to do their homework and figure it out and look at it for the upgrade aspect. But I am skeptical of any huge trades in the modern NFL.

• Like 2

Deshaun Watson for two 1sts, a 2, and Montez Sweat (or three 1s and change)

or

Matt Stafford for pick 19 and our 3rd

Assume we extend Stafford for a few years in this scenario. Curious to see people’s preference. I can see arguments for either. 

Edited by skinsfan_1215

absolutely need to do whatever it takes to get deshaun watson here. hes a 25 year old franchise qb, these situations are rare. we saw what the offense could do with competent qb play against TB, making this move would be way more beneficial than signing a LB or really any other position of need at the moment. Let the team draft to fill those holes, after all it is the draft picks that have put this team on the rise. We made it to 7 wins with a 30th ranked offense, imagine how many more wins we could have had with watson. Anyone still think we need to fill the qb hole through the draft where there are no guarantees? I think not. 

Although the Deshaun Watson is very enticing, the Texans aren't run by O'Biren anymore and are going to want a king's (bigger ransom (bigger than the RG3 trade) for him.  Plus his cap number is going to be huge and that might impact other FA targets at WR and the money it's going to take to re-sign Scheriff.  I also don't think it's wise to just through Sweat away in any trade scenario since I see him and Chase as bookends on defense for the foreseeable future.  I see Rivera and the FO as being very meticulous in how they find their answer at QB.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mooka said:

Houston isn't going to dump Watson without a replacement. I don't see them trading to anyone outside the top 3 picks this year.

So I'm guessing he'll be a Dolphin. 

Agreed. They’re the most likely destination because they’ve got the Texans picks. And Tua. 

5 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Agreed. They’re the most likely destination because they’ve got the Texans picks. And Tua. 

“You want Watson? Excellent. We’ll take our picks back. And one more first.”

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

Watson would be very interesting. He's a guy that I would spend good assets for. Instead of vastly overpaying for Stafford (based on speculated deals), I'd re-direct those assets and then some towards Watson. I still don't think Houston deals him, but that's someone worth trading a first rounder for (in fact more than one). Stafford, IMO, isn't even worth one first rounder. Given this team needs a QB, I get the incentive to do something now. The team probably will. But this might be the rare situation where there's a pretty good move to actually make rather than overpay for the "best available" or bet on a longshot solution. 

Just now, mh86 said:

“Gladly. We also found this old jersey of tunsil that we’ll throw in.”

“You’re too agreeable. I want three firsts. And our picks back. And the old Tunsil jersey. And from now on the Miami franchise is to refer to the Texans as the “Best Team in Texas” in all future press releases.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

or

Assume we extend Stafford for a few years in this scenario. Curious to see people’s preference. I can see arguments for either. 

Watson.  When was the last time we had a top 5 QB?  Sonny?   and i like Stafford apparently more than most on this thread.  I'd make either deal.  But Watson is elite.  Stafford on the other hand is good to very good.  

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Watson.  When was the last time we had a top 5 QB?  Sonny?   and i like Stafford apparently more than most on this thread.  I'd make either deal.  But Watson is elite.  Stafford on the other hand is good to very good.  

I think Stafford is an elite QB who’s been stuck on a terrible team. As a pure thrower, maybe better than Watson. But the 8 year age difference is the main factor in their price difference IMO. 

Agree with you though: I’d absolutely do either of those deals and be thrilled. My fear is that both are going to be more expensive than those examples... 

41 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is how I feel, I'd be fine with both deals depending on the costs.  You need a QB in this league, it's just that simple. 

• Like 3

This offseason, demand is higher than supply for quality QB's. Last off season was better for buyers. I am not keen to get into bidding wars for the best of the best qb's. I am fine with either mid tier FA along with mid round rookie, or no more than a 3rd rounder for a mid tier starter. Keep building the entire team and splurge when most of the team is average to above average. Right now, I feel the DL is above average and every other position group is below average to average.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

or

No way in hell do you give up two firsts a second & Montez Sweat!  They already gave up 2 second rounders just to acquire Sweat.  That’s like giving up 3 first round picks (including Sweat) & 4 second rounders (including the 2nd rounders given up to get Sweat).  There’s no way in hell you make that trade (Unless you’re Dan Snyder 😭)

Redskins fans will forever be SUCKERS for the big splash move!  Even though they lose out EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, -JB- said:

No way in hell do you give up two firsts a second & Montez Sweat!  They already gave up 2 second rounders just to acquire Sweat.  That’s like giving up 3 first round picks (including Sweat) & 4 second rounders (including the 2nd rounders given up to get Sweat).  There’s no way in hell you make that trade (Unless you’re Dan Snyder 😭)

Redskins fans will forever be SUCKERS for the big splash move!  Even though they lose out EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME!

The Dan sucker move would be trading the moon for Watson when he was 35 and washed up or buy into some hype that an unproven college prospect would turn into Watson.

Trading for elite QBs in their prime isn't how Dan has rolled, not even once. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 hour ago, Mooka said:

Houston isn't going to dump Watson without a replacement. I don't see them trading to anyone outside the top 3 picks this year.

So I'm guessing he'll be a Dolphin. 

I think thats the safest thing to assume, it makes a ton of sense unless Houston wants to move Watson outside of the AFC altogether.

I would trade three 1sts, a 2021 2nd and 2021 3rd plus Antonio Gibson for D. Watson but that still leaves Houston without a QB. Still, thats a nice haul to give up. Dealing Gibson would be tough but RB's are gettable and franchise QB's are harder to find. 

I would gladly welcome Watson here, I don't care at all that he's speaking out against that joke of a franchise, but we're not good enough yet to maximize the value of that move. Watson takes the 49ers to the Super Bowl in the first year. Maybe the Colts too. Dolphins go deep. Our WR corps is awful and I'm not sure Watson's cap hit would allow for us to substantially improve it. Why would he even come here? 

But yeah a couple firsts and a player would be a fair trade for a top 5 QB entering the prime of his career. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Dan sucker move would be trading the moon for Watson when he was 35 and washed up or buy into some hype that an unproven college prospect would turn into Watson.

Trading for elite QBs in their prime isn't how Dan has rolled, not even once. 

Washington doesn’t even have enough draft capital to make it a smart move to acquire Watson.  A team like Miami with 4 picks in the first two rounds and also Tua to give up makes much more sense from an organizational standpoint.  Washington has made too much of a habit of trading away important draft picks over the years that they’ve dug a hole.  They need to learn to acquire as many draft picks as possible so in the future when a chance to trade for a true franchise QB in his prime it won’t actually cripple them giving up multiple first round and second round picks.  If only having a QB with no pieces to build around him was the answer then why hasn’t Houston won anything with Watson?  They didn’t even make the playoffs this year.  Just give up the pipe dream of having Deshaun Watson.  It can’t and won’t happen.  We don’t have what it takes yet to get that kind of deal done without crippling ourselves.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I would gladly welcome Watson here, I don't care at all that he's speaking out against that joke of a franchise, but we're not good enough yet to maximize the value of that move. Watson takes the 49ers to the Super Bowl in the first year. Maybe the Colts too. Dolphins go deep. Our WR corps is awful and I'm not sure Watson's cap hit would allow for us to substantially improve it. Why would he even come here? 

I think we have 50 million in cap and if we release Smith or he retires saves about 14mil

i think it’s enough for Watson and a WR like Golladay 

23 hours ago, JoggingGod said:

Yes it does actually. Because QBs aren’t inherently better in one climate. Your reasons for not wanting him are just completely hypothetical.

I could say the same thing about your argument.

There is no empirical evidence Stafford will better or even equal his prevous performance with the Lions during the last 11 years if he plays for us. None.

What he do know is he has ample experience playing indoors with a very good WR supporting cast whom helped him rack up lots of yards. That's a fact.

Thinking he can replicate that performance, under completely different conditions, strikes me as naive.

Edited by El Mexican