Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

21 minutes ago, skinzplay said:

I think Stafford is a damn good QB purgatoried to a losing situation. I just wouldn't want to sacrifice any draft capital or significant cap space on him because it would prevent us from continuing to build the right way.

Before Heinicke showed the potential of a cheap, high-value way forward at QB, I was first in line to trade for Stafford.

And honestly if it happens, I'd make peace with it. I'd be bummed for Heinicke but you can't deny Stafford's talent and he'd be a lower cap hit than Alex.

But I'm just not on board with giving up the picks & cap space that I think it would require. I'd rather have Heinicke, Lavonte David and Allen Robinson. (as an example)

• Like 4

3 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Yes, that would be huge.

But getting a good combo like that seems like a reach when there are some gapping holes at MLB, TE and safety.

Safety is fine, but agree on LB and TE. I’d also throw in RB, WR, LG and LT (depending on the LSU kid from last years draft.) 

7 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Before Heinicke showed the potential of a cheap, high-value way forward at QB, I was first in line to trade for Stafford.

And honestly if it happens, I'd make peace with it. I'd be bummed for Heinicke but you can't deny Stafford's talent and he'd be a lower cap hit than Alex.

But I'm just not on board with giving up the picks & cap space that I think it would require. I'd rather have Heinicke, Lavonte David and Allen Robinson. (as an example)

Well, considering those 3 players will cost 35-40mil that would make some sense lol

The fan in me says roll the dice and go with Allen, Taylor, and a rookie, but I can see why a coach couldn’t go with that, due to so much unknown. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Well, considering those 3 players will cost 35-40mil that would make some sense lol

The fan in me says role the dice and go with Allen, Taylor, and a rookie, but I can see why a coach couldn’t role with that, due to so much unknown. 

That's the point though right? If you save money on QB, you can actually try and get both a Lavonte David and an Allen Robinson (maybe not those exact two, I haven't run the math, but you get the point). If you trade for Matt Stafford, you're tying up $20M you could be spending elsewhere.

As for the trio, that's why I can see them signing a vet like Tyrod. He gives you some insurance in case Heinicke and Allen both prove not to be the answer for whatever reason. Meanwhile Steven Montez gets another year to cook on the practice squad. Then next year you can rule out one or both of Heinicke/Allen and draft a rookie to be the future if you need to, though ideally Heinicke (or Allen) steps up and proves he can be the guy.

Though if Lance falls out of the top 12, I think you gotta go for him. But I really don't see that happening. Feels like those top 4 quarterbacks are all locks to go in the top 10.  

Miami picking at #3 is fascinating they are vital to the QB carousel this off season, rumours of them trading Tua to SF are all well and good but SF have got to do something with Jimmy and if they don’t that changes the complexion

Come draft night if Tua is still there and Miami pick a QB at #3 I’m making the call to see if they’ll take a first or a second

May not even get to that but a scenario to be mindful of for sure

9 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

I get the point but I am getting the strong impression from those who cover the team that they don't believe Heinicke will be QB #1 next season but instead a backup.

I liked his play as much as anyone but if he's something like 5"10, 190 pounds It's hard for me to imagine that's who they are riding with.

So the odds if you don't like Stafford now as #1 then you might need to be prepared for another QB as a starter as opposed to Heinicke who is more likely to be the backup. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan said one of the beat guys told him its not a lock that Kyle Allen's ankle injury heels before training camp. 

Geez. My thinking is he was kind of the odd man out anyway, if Heinicke is back. He doesn’t have longterm developmental upside. He’s a pure backup. And if we acquire a veteran, I’d really like to draft someone in the mid rounds too. 

I’d ideally like to see Stafford (or other starter), Heinicke as our #2, and a drafted rookie like Jamie Newman as our #3. Montez still has practice squad time left.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan said one of the beat guys told him its not a lock that Kyle Allen's ankle injury heels before training camp. 

I thought this was understood. I thought they were saying that "maybe" he can be back by training camp. I don't see it as a big deal though because he can just go on the PUP list until he's ready. Sad that he's not ahead of schedule, but I couldn't see this impacting much. 

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyMaybe said:

I wasn’t all in on Heinicke being seriously considered as QB1 moving forward, but I am all in on having Heinicke as QB2 and moving on from Kyle Allen

IMO the team needs to keep 3 QBs going forward.  Kyle Allen doesn't need to be healed by mini-camp  - but he does need to compete during preseason.  He's a cheap #2 that knows, and can execute, the system.  Montez Sweat goes on the practice squad.  

5 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

IMO the team needs to keep 3 QBs going forward.  Kyle Allen doesn't need to be healed by mini-camp  - but he does need to compete during preseason.  He's a cheap #2 that knows, and can execute, the system.  Montez Sweat goes on the practice squad.  

The sad thing is that Sweat may be able to be cut and picked up later in the season if they need him with little real cost because he may not be that prized a commodity.

You guys mean Steven Montez not Montez Sweat.  I've botched a name or two that people have corrected me on.  Now its my turn. :ols:

13 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I thought this was understood. I thought they were saying that "maybe" he can be back by training camp. I don't see it as a big deal though because he can just go on the PUP list until he's ready. Sad that he's not ahead of schedule, but I couldn't see this impacting much. 

Not for me.  I didn't know his injury would keep him out that long.  If he might not even be ready for training camp that comes off as a somewhat serious injury.  But yeah I didn't know it was serious to that extent.  For a dude that relies some on mobiity, hope it doesn't have an impact on that season.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

What about two names I haven't heard much in this thread:

1) Teddy Bridgewater. Was with Turner in Minnesota and after a lot of stuff he is about to be a free agent again (or is the rumor that he'll be cut). He's a guy who could be a starter with a good defense or could be a veteran presence

2) Garrett Gilbert. he's 29 but was in the backup battle in 2018 with Allen and Heinicke and I think lost out at the end. From what I remember he played for the Cowboys one game and looked decent before Andy Dalton came back. He's another guy who knows the offense and could come in here and compete for a backup job. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

What about two names I haven't heard much in this thread:

1) Teddy Bridgewater. Was with Turner in Minnesota and after a lot of stuff he is about to be a free agent again (or is the rumor that he'll be cut). He's a guy who could be a starter with a good defense or could be a veteran presence

2) Garrett Gilbert. he's 29 but was in the backup battle in 2018 with Allen and Heinicke and I think lost out at the end. From what I remember he played for the Cowboys one game and looked decent before Andy Dalton came back. He's another guy who knows the offense and could come in here and compete for a backup job. 

Maybe. 

I am not pushing him but wonder if Andy Dalton is actually in play?  I am not jazzed about any of the FA bets.  But you'd figure Dalton would be as much in play as any of the others along with Fitzpatrick, Rivers, etc. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they decide to trade Stafford or not at least the clock is finally ticking one way or another albeit they might wait for the coach to decide

I wonder if whether that coach is a defensive or offensive minded coach have any bearing on a potential trade?  I read Bevell and Saleh (sp?) are leading candidates.

27 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I wonder if whether that coach is a defensive or offensive minded coach have any bearing on a potential trade?  I read Bevell and Saleh (sp?) are leading candidates.

Not sure.  I think you got two interesting dynamics with the Lions in the context of Stafford.

A.  Does Stafford push to get out?  The owner supposedly loves him and his wife so that could be a double edge sword where there is no way he's let go or he's traded as a favor.

B.  If they want to trade up to get Zach, Lance or Fields it would help if they had another #1 pick as ammunition.

I'd guess it all depends on whether the new coach/GM wants to start a rebuild from scratch or build on what they have.