Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I’ll take it a step further. They need a Z, another outside receiver and a slot.

Might not be easy to upgrade 3 receiver spots in one off season but am game if they try.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Also not a fan of the “fanbase is emotional” sentiment. While I agree that Heinicke is still a bit of an unknown and it’s dangerous to put all our eggs in his basket and pass on any quality QB options that make sense...

Heinicke’s performance made it clear that it’s not an emotional response. He played with poise, made excellent reads, understood pressure schemes and showcased NFL ability. To suggest the fanbase is reacting purely on emotion is suggesting we’re wrong about his positive abilities.

The truth is that our personnel group sees him in building. In prep. In practice. They see how he is in the locker room and how the team views him. I can accept it if they don’t think he’s the starting quarterback based on those factors, or durability, or sample size. 

But to suggest the fanbase is reacting emotionally when it was clear he CAN play in the league is off putting.

Keim was just saying there that some fans think we found our guy.  Keim is saying in response that's not how the team sees it for various reasons.   You give his argument in the same post which is they the FO/coaching staff knows more about him than we do. 

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Just a hunch, but the "definitely should of had a QB comp in camp" narrative, makes me think we're not going to go huge or drastic and pull a potential reclamation project in. Like a Mariota.

This is coming from the guy who loves to take nuggets and run with them and extrapolate so I tend to search for a specific target.  My guess at Qb right now is they want to do something but aren't locked into an approach but it all depends on what guys become available. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep

I've backed off my liking of Stafford  Darnold after somebody posted his stats and after seeing Heinicke, but depending on what he goes for I could see a 3 way competition between him, Allen and Heinicke. 

oops: I said Stafford whem I meant Darnold. 

Edited by Thinking Skins

38 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I've backed off my liking of Stafford after somebody posted his stats and after seeing Heinicke, but depending on what he goes for I could see a 3 way competition between him, Allen and Heinicke. 

Stafford still > then Heinickeeee. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, zskins said:

Stafford still > then Heinickeeee. 

His stats are padded bc he has played all of his NFL career indoors.

And he's had some very good WRs in his lineup (and a first ballot HOFamer).

Not so sure he can just arrive here and replicate those numbers.

Edited by El Mexican
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

So let me get this straight. He has played indoors during his NFL career. So he gets all 16 home games....lol

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, RWJ said:

Dude, it means he's a Restricted Free Agent with this team.  If you know that then it means we own his rights as a free agents.  If he hit's FA we have the right to match any offer another team makes.  He's had 5 quarters of play in the NFL.  It won't be expensive to keep him  He'll be a WFT player on our roster next year.  It's all good. :)

I guess I should rephrase my original post. We better not let him get away under the following conditions.

• A restricted free agent (RFA) is any NFL veteran [that reaches the end of his contract] with three accrued seasons but not four accrued seasons of service. (Under certain restrictions, any NFL player with three accrued seasons shall be free to negotiate and sign a contract with any other NFL club). this does not apply correct?
  • The RFA has a signing window of roughly one month—typically between early to mid-March, when free agency starts, and mid-April. The signing period must last a minimum of thirty-five days and cannot end later than five days before the annual NFL Draft.
  • If an RFA player is tendered a Qualifying Offer, his original team has the right of first refusal and may receive a draft selection as compensation if the player signs a contract with a new team.

Just getting into this area of football and I may misunderstand the entire process....if Belicheck thinks he is the next Brady he can make an offer that we won't match. My point being that if Belicheck is high on him we need to sign him to a contract now. I am usually wrong though.

3 hours ago, zskins said:

So let me get this straight. He has played indoors during his NFL career. So he gets all 16 home games....lol

C'mon man, you know what I'm getting at.

A considerable amount of QBs that rack up lots of yards play indoors. Or at least under decent weather.

That success rarely transfers over to the new team playing outdoors in the North East.

Edited by El Mexican

4 hours ago, El Mexican said:

Yup. Stafford never played an NFL game outdoors. Every away game was purposefully made indoors. Lambeau installed a dome just for when they played Stafford.

39 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

C'mon man, you know what I'm getting at.

A considerable amount of QBs that rack up lots of yards play indoors. Or at least under decent weather.

That success rarely transfers over to the new team playing outdoors in the North East.

Peyton Manning from Indy to Denver.  Not the North East, so maybe that doesn’t count?

29 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Yup. Stafford never played an NFL game outdoors. Every away game was purposefully made indoors. Lambeau installed a dome just for when they played Stafford.

Ah, so let me get this straight:

Playing outdoors in GB once every season invalidates him playing 8 games inside a dome, right?

Stafford is happy inside a dome.

He's happier when you give him weapons like Megatron, Golden Tate, Golladay, Burleson, Boldin, Ross.

Any success he's had must be linked to the system and the guys around him. That's a scary WR lineup by any standard.

Just now, Ball Security said:

Peyton Manning from Indy to Denver.  Not the North East, so maybe that doesn’t count?

There's always an exception.

2 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Playing outdoors in GB once every season invalidates him playing 8 games inside a dome, right?

Stafford is happy inside a dome.

He's happier when you give him weapons like Megatron, Golden Tate, Golladay, Burleson, Boldin, Ross.

Any success he's had must be linked to the system and the guys around him. That's a scary WR lineup by any standard.

There's always an exception.

Name a QB who put up better stats than Stafford on an indoor team and got traded to a cold weather outdoor team.  I can’t think of one other than Peyton.  Kurt Warner, maybe. Only played 10 games for the Giants before moving on to a warm weather/indoor (?? can’t remember which stadium they were in in 2004)

Whatever we do, I just pray we don't waste our cap space and young, exciting roster on Donovan McNabb 2.0 because our brain trust is too afraid to gamble their jobs on a QB who wasn't drafted first round. 

Not saying that's what will happen, but Snyder is still the owner and I've been burned by this team too many times. I'm already having visions of Snyder flying Matt Ryan out on his plane ahead of his worst statistical season and a middling 8-8 record. 

Edited by Bacon

53 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

4 hours ago, zskins said:

Guys, he plays for the Lions. Surrounded by weapons. Playing in a palace, know for an overwhelming home field advantage. His stats are obviously inflated.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Ruzious said:

As the saying goes; nothing guarantees anything.  I hate the idea of giving up high picks and 20 plus million dollars of cap space for a QB that may or may not be any better than Heinicke or Allen - Kyle Allen, that is.  I'm fine if they want to add Mariota to the mix, because he won't cost anywhere near some of the others, and I think he's more talented than he's shown - though he's obviously not a star.  Yeah, all the QB's still in the playoffs are stars, but ordinary QB's like Joe Flacco and Nick Foles have amazing records in the playoffs - including SB MVP's.  We won 3 SB's with 3 different QB's.  I'm fine with having a great team with a solid QB - rather than a meh team with a very talented QB.  That's the best way to go for this team, imo.   

Keep our draft picks!!!           

Ruzious!  My old friend from my first message boards from 21 years ago. How are you friend?

I see you still have bad takes.  ;).  Flacco or Kolb are terrible examples, flashes in the pans who have bounced around the league since their one and done.  Again look at the teams left, and the teams that always seem to be there.  In the vast majority of cases they have solid, established QBs.  Going the Marcus Mariotta or Joe Flacco route is not the answer, we need to find our long term guy.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Yes it does actually. Because QBs aren’t inherently better in one climate. Your reasons for not wanting him are just completely hypothetical.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Definitely...everyone knows Detroit is known for making players perform better...it's science.

Yep. 😀  And there are stats and there are stats.   What makes Stafford special though IMO isn't his stats but his arm is one of the best in the NFL.   He would be the most talented passer we've had since I can't even remember that far back.  He's not perfect.  He's not elite.  But he's really good. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep. 😀  And there are stats and there are stats.   What makes Stafford special though IMO isn't his stats but his arm is one of the best in the NFL.   He would be the most talented passer we've had since I can't even remember that far back.  He's not perfect.  He's not elite.  But he's really good. 

What do you think the price tag as far a trading picks would be to get him to the WFT, SIP?