Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'll leave it to others to stop posting in here as opposed to having it closed.

I wanted a veteran, not the the veteran I wanted, but a veteran none the less.

470 pages later, I'm happy.

Sure, it's not like there was a bountiful supply of quality QB's on the market.

We did allright

• Like 4

Fitz is more than just a QB. He’s a player that loves the game and understands the nuances. There is going to be a regresssion and there are going to be frustration stretches and regardless of production he’s the right guy to help a young team learn how to deal with them. He’s not a permanent solution but he’s a phenomenal mentor not just for the other QBs but all the younger players who don’t yet understand that sometimes things won’t go their way.

• Like 5

This is a low upside but moxy filled QB room.  It should be a fun group and fun camp competition but there is no long term clarity here.

Wouldn't mind throwing a mid or late round rookie into the mix and let fate sort the depth chart out.

Given all the vet QB misteps we could have made, this move doesn't bother me.  There is no risk here and we've already paid all of our opportunity cost.  Fitzpatrick has been a fan darling for years and he's at least entertaining.

This team's identity won't be built around the QB.  it'll be a defense and run game group and we're going to cycle through qbs for a while, which is a comfortable place for our fans.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Am I the only one that thinks we should have outbid the Rams? Two 1sts for Stafford and we would probably be in the lead to sign Golladay and would be viewed as real contenders this year. 

The vaunted Stafford/Golladay connection & their 5-11 record in Detroit lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

This is okay for now. The way I look at it is we're replacing Alex Smith with Fitzpatrick for much cheaper- which is a pretty significant upgrade, in my opinion. I don't think from a physical standpoint it's even close and as good of a leader Smith was/is, Fitzpatrick is a great leader too.

If he happens to lose out as the starter to Heineke or Allen, he will not cause drama and is going to do everything to help the younger guys in the QB room, whether he's the starter or not. And from what I've seen and heard, his teammates love him wherever he's been. This contract allows us to still fill some soft spots on the roster, while still upgrading the QB spot.

Was hoping for maybe bringing in a younger guy that might have a shot at being the long term solution at QB, but Heineke and even Allen are going to have the opportunity to possibly be that guy. Obviously, this is a short term move, but the move certainly doesn't hurt us for next season and keeps us in the game while the search for the long term QB solution continues.

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

What’s going to be interesting to see is if we add a rookie who is the odd man out?

My guess? Kyle Allen gets the PUP treatment.

Yeah, that's been my take for a while. Allen and Heinicke can flop back and forth off IR/PuP and keep the later round QB on the roster. 

You may have gotten your guy today though.

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

Yeah, that's been my take for a while. Allen and Heinicke can flop back and forth off IR/PuP and keep the later round QB on the roster. 

You may have gotten your guy today though.

Who’s that? Buechele? Shane Buechele?

I doubt it. I think they’re still going fishing for the bigger names and I really like those guys too :ols:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

Love the player, love the deal. 

I still want us to draft a QB this year regardless. He'll have a smart veteran QB with leadership qualities to learn from. 

If they draft a QB, won't he have to be put on the practice squad? 

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

Love the player, love the deal. 

I still want us to draft a QB this year regardless. He'll have a smart veteran QB with leadership qualities to learn from. 

This is where I am. I would now rather draft a Mond or Newman or Trask in the 3rd or 4th and cut either Allen or Heinicke. I honestly think that Allen won't be ready for training camp and so we'll be able to put him on the PUP list. But if that doesn't work, then I think that he's redundant now and expendable and can be let go of. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to keeping Allen if we can't get one of the QBs we like in the draft (if its something like 2012 where Shanny says he had Wilson going a round later than he wound up going). There's going to be a run in the first round with 4 or 5 guys going. Then We may see another run in the 3rd where we see another 3 or 4 good guys going. As much as we talk about youth in guys like Darnold, Allen just turned 25 so I'm not against him as a backup this year. 

Fitzpatrick wasn't on my list of QBs I wanted here, but he wasn't on my list of QBs I didn't want either. I think what I'll do is keep quiet about what I think. After the outcome, I'll just say I was right and no one will be able to say different. 

32 minutes ago, Leonard Washington said:

My heart wanted Heinke and Allen to compete but signing Fitzpatrick is a safe football move.  

So Galdi and Sheehan have different opinions on FItz. Galdi is saying that he hopes that Fitz is just here to compete, while Sheehan is saying no chance - there are other teams who would have given him a guaranteed chance to start so that had to be a part of the package. On paper $10 mil at the initial signing doesn't seem like guaranteed starter contract. 

My thing about Fitz is that he is the ultimate example of the type of QB that I always talk with @Skinsinparadise about - a 7th round pick who has taken his lumps in the league and had to prove himself throughout his career. He was known for throwing interceptions early in his career. I remember loving him in fantasy for his yards and TDs but he would also make mistakes and lose a lot of games. But his career arc is one that I love. No real experience in his first 3 years. Then looked ok in Cincy, got signed to Buffalo kept getting opportunities, but wasn't winning games. Heck of a competitor and I love his game. 

I still think this is still an easily open competition. It may lean towards Fitz, but by no means is it wrapped up. He's a 38 year old guy and if he struggles - either in training camp or in some games early in the year, I could easily see them switching QBs. I think Heinicke sees this and says what's this guy done that I haven't done? Heinicke played well in the playoffs against the eventual SB Champs. All Fitz has better right now is staying healthy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

My thing about Fitz is that he is the ultimate example of the type of QB that I always talk with @Skinsinparadise about - a 7th round pick who has taken his lumps in the league and had to prove himself throughout his career. He was known for throwing interceptions early in his career. I remember loving him in fantasy for his yards and TDs but he would also make mistakes and lose a lot of games. But his career arc is one that I love. No real experience in his first 3 years. Then looked ok in Cincy, got signed to Buffalo kept getting opportunities, but wasn't winning games. Heck of a competitor and I love his game. 

He arguably had his peak season last year at 38.    His 2nd best the season before that at 37.  He's had a long strange ride of a career.  Weird career arc where his best QBR seasons have come late.  In general, I am not into having a dude taking his lumps for 15 years or so and now we got our guy.  So I don't think he's a good example of ride with a 7th rounder and let him him develop. :ols:

They finally did what I wanted.  My jinx at QB is over.  I didn't want Haskins or Jones and they took Haskins.  Before that I listed an Alex Smith trade as my least favorite option and they did that.  Fitz was my top option among the 2nd tier options (which we seem stuck with).  Him and Mariota.  I wavered between those two options but before FA I labeled Fitz as my top one.  They finally listened to me.  :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise

I do not like this move.  At all.  The memes of Fitzmagic are fun, but I don't think they'll be quite as fun when Fitztragic shows up.  I am old enough to remember the game against Washington in 2018 when he threw for over 400 yards and netted 3 total points on offense.  He's an older Alex Smith with more turnovers.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2013-2020-sum:passing

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm#2005-2010-sum:passing

If I recall Keim and Standig said before this move if they sign a veteran don't expect a rookie QB, too.  Because they don't intend to dump Heinicke or Allen.   The exception being if there is a surprise faller in the first round in the draft.  Will see if they change their tune now that they actually made the move.

The thread isn't let me dump that DJ post above, weird. 

• Thanks 1

While it might not be the best move it certainly isn’t bad. Needed a vet QB in the room with the two we have. Didn’t trade a bunch of picks away for a Darnold or other QB that could be a solution. That would have been bad. I think he’ll win some games and loss a few as well. But he brings leadership and some energy that’s young team needs to be successful. If the FO can get a few more guys on the offensive side of the ball for him to throw to and shore up the OL the win total could improve over last year. 

11 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I do not like this move.  At all.  The memes of Fitzmagic are fun, but I don't think they'll be quite as fun when Fitztragic shows up.  I am old enough to remember the game against Washington in 2018 when he threw for over 400 yards and netted 3 total points on offense.  He's an older Alex Smith with more turnovers.  

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FitzRy00.htm#2013-2020-sum:passing

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm#2005-2010-sum:passing

I was at that game, baking in the sun.  Statistically that game set a record.  No team had ever dominated statistically like that and ever lost.  It was a really odd game.  He was on fire and hard to stop but turnovers in the red zone killed them.  2 picks by him.  but also 2 fumbles - I recall one of them was with Ryan Anderson karate chopping the ball out of a receivers hands.  Their field kicker missed two easy ones, too.  Strange game and historically so for any player versus here is a typical Fitzpatrick game where he only put up 3 points.

He's a totally different ride than Alex Smith.  Alex is so conservative Football Outsiders renamed their stat for checkdowns "the Alex".  Fitz lets it fly.  Totally different styles. 

Sheehan just said on one Vegas site our odds to win the division just jumped dramatically. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise