Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

8 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

It will be interesting to see where he lands. There has to be a market for a backup with this guy's commitment to the game, I'm sure 1 or 2 teams will be interested.  Wonder if he would be fine in that roll and as a mentor to a young QB. Or did Dwayne break him.  :)  

He announced his retirement on Monday.

So if Alex Smith had a nonunion in his leg then how in the hell did he get cleared to play football? If he really did have a nonunion and a doctor cleared him to play then that doctor should be fired and no longer be aloud to practice medicine..

3 hours ago, bh32 said:

So if Alex Smith had a nonunion in his leg then how in the hell did he get cleared to play football? If he really did have a nonunion and a doctor cleared him to play then that doctor should be fired and no longer be aloud to practice medicine..

I don’t know what a nonunion even is, but i thought It just meant the calf injury from December or something close to that. 

24 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don’t know what a nonunion even is, but i thought It just meant the calf injury from December or something close to that. 

its where the bone dosen't mend back together

15 minutes ago, RabidFan said:

Isn’t that Dr not there anymore and wuoted in the piece?

Yeah i don't think the doctor is still there..Alex Smith is a complete moron to risk reinjuring that leg just to prove that he could make it back.Did he pay the Doctor to clear him?Because i have a hard time believing that a Doctor would clear someone knowing that that leg wasn't properly healed.Ron had every right to do what he did and Alex is a POS to put Ron in that situation.

3 hours ago, bh32 said:

Yeah i don't think the doctor is still there..Alex Smith is a complete moron to risk reinjuring that leg just to prove that he could make it back.Did he pay the Doctor to clear him?Because i have a hard time believing that a Doctor would clear someone knowing that that leg wasn't properly healed.Ron had every right to do what he did and Alex is a POS to put Ron in that situation.

Did Alex kick your dog with his peg leg?

So much for my high opinion of Alex Smith. He kinda struck me as a 'dim bulb' and his latest comments confirm that assessment. I don't mean 'dim' as in intellectually or athletically stupid, I mean in terms of emotional intelligence. Considering that he was in a coma, almost died from infection, and almost lost his leg, it's stunning he would be incapable of understanding why the team would be careful with him, especially with a new coaching regime. Would he have preferred the opposite, where they made him run 'Oklahoma drills' or act as a tackling dummy as soon as he came back to the team??

I understand he had more 'faith' in his healing abilities than the team, or even his own doctors. Good for him. 99% of rational people, however, would not have predicted his eventual comeback, and they shouldn't be disrespected by him just because he proved them wrong. This isn't a case of an over-hyped athlete who gets cut from a team (ex. Antonio Brown) and then complaining that the team that cut him "is gonna miss me." Is Smith blind to his own sub-par play when he came back?? Does he or his father ever watch his game film???

But it could have been worse...can you imagine Larry Michael coming up to him and saying "Hey Alex, since you're unable to walk well maybe you can help me edit some of these videos in your spare time." Now THAT would have been interesting!

My guess is Smith wanted to play in the playoff game and Ron did not believe in Smith after the week 17 match up versus the Eagles. Smith most likely felt entitled (not saying I agree with this) to start due to his level of self perceived contributions to the team securing a playoff spot, the same contributions Ron seemed strangely insistent on debunking throughout the year when given the chance to throw Smith some love. 

With that said, I wanted no part in Smith starting the playoff game. Ron made the right call. 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

My guess is Smith wanted to play in the playoff game and Ron did not believe in Smith after the week 17 match up versus the Eagles. Smith most likely felt entitled (not saying I agree with this) to start due to his level of self perceived contributions to the team securing a playoff spot, the same contributions Ron seemed strangely insistent on debunking throughout the year when given the chance to throw Smith some love. 

With that said, I wanted no part in Smith starting the playoff game. Ron made the right call. 

Yeah I’d say the playoff game was the killer blow for Smith.

On 4/24/2021 at 6:24 PM, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Some broken bones do not heal even when they get the best surgical or nonsurgical treatment. In some cases, certain risk factors make it more likely that a bone will fail to heal. When a broken bone fails to heal it is called a "nonunion." A "delayed union" is when a fracture takes longer than usual to heal.

Alex could have tried to limp through the playoff game but once he lost the ability to scramble, he was not the same A. Smith that he was known for. Whatever injury he had late last year was holding him back even more.  Heck even before his leg I wasn't impressed with his play at full health.  His passes were largely terrible looking in his tenure here; I called him drunk Alex. Sure we won games but he was just going to ensure our ongoing middle of the pack 8-8 type of year and do nothing for our future, while handcuffing RR to our old failed regime that overpaid for him.  Will we miss Mrs Alex Smith?

Archived