Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

2 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

@Skinsinparadise yes I read the article, i was asking in which way “patronizing” is used. Is it the same as “stop patronizing me!” Or is it another meaning in this situation? 

The coaches preferred a cute story, isn’t that what they got? The 5-1 record, leading the team to a division title? Ending the Steelers undefeated season?

He sort of explained it himself.  If he thought they thought it was a cute story in the context of his comeback to me the implication was they didn't take him as seriously as a player as he'd have liked and were more into the comeback story than what he could do on the field.  That's my takeaway.  Especially because he also said he knew if he played this coming season it wouldn't be at Washington.  it comes off to me that he thought they were more taken by the story and not as much as he'd like taken by the player.

I'd add a beat guy (forgotten whom) said he knows Alex was bothered by Rivera's comment about they could have won too if Kyle Allen played. 

If I package all of that together that's my take away 

Smith is doing a lot of talking. I understand his thought process... Most people didn't really believe he could play and even those that did didn't think he could be all that effective given the situation with his leg.

But this whole thing is becoming obnoxious. Washington gave him a chance to come back. So his kids could see him mount that come back. And then they put him on the field and found success because of his drive, determination, work ethic and the surrounding talent on the team. 

No coach wants to put a guy out there to get his leg battered and be the reason the player never walks again, yet they did it anyways. 

They kept him rostered and let him attempt the comeback.

More than could be said for the rest of the league when Smith became a free agent.

There's plenty to criticize this organization for over the course of the last few decades. This probably isn't one of the things they should be answering for... 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 8

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

Smith is doing a lot of talking. I understand his thought process... Most people didn't really believe he could play and even those that did didn't think he could be all that effective given the situation with his leg.

But this whole thing is becoming obnoxious. Washington gave him a chance to come back. So his kids could see him mount that come back. And then they put him on the field and found success because of his drive, determination, work ethic and the surrounding talent on the team. 

No coach wants to put a guy out there to get his leg battered and be the reason the player never walks again, yet they did it anyways. 

They kept him rostered and let him attempt the comeback.

More than could be said for the rest of the league when Smith became a free agent.

There's plenty to criticize this organization for over the course of the last few decades. This probably isn't one of the things they should be answering for... 

My thoughts exactly.  Alex should just shut up already.  It was perfectly reasonable for RR to have concerns about his health, it was also perfectly reasonable for the team to move on from him at this point.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We need to move on by all means.  Just for the fact that there is always some kind of drama with THIS team.  We don't need anymore.  RR, I'm sure will address the media soon.  Smith did himself no favors by running his mouth as such.  

• Like 2

he talks about the stuff they had him do with exercises and all, with what happened with his leg, he'd probably need a football team style exercise regimen to keep it healthy.  My father had a chainsaw accident at work where it got the side of his leg and ran down partially and after he was cleared to go back to work they put him at a desk job and he could never lose his limp or build muscle.  He went into carpet installing to build up the muscle and it took working at it for years to both build and maintain it.

I bet Alex's leg will atrophy easier than the healthy one from now on

Whatever. Lets not forget Smith was bad last year. Like, bottom 3 in the NFL bad. He was an upgrade over Haskins sure, but it wasn't that big of an upgrade. His statlines were pretty piss poor. He wasn't even that great of a game manager as he had turnovers in quite a few games.

Thanks for everything Alex but its time to move on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Whatever. Lets not forget Smith was bad last year. Like, bottom 3 in the NFL bad. He was an upgrade over Haskins sure, but it wasn't that big of an upgrade. His statlines were pretty piss poor. He wasn't even that great of a game manager as he had turnovers in quite a few games.

This. I hate to break it to some of you ( not directed at you, warhead), but he wasn't exactly lighting it up even before the injury in 2018. 29th in QBR, while scraping out a few wins over injured/bad teams on the back of a good Redskins defense and a miraculously productive in his old age Adrian Peterson.

I don't often criticize Alex Smith outside of the days I have to watch him attempt to play QB, because it feels like I'm insulting a corpse at this point....but thankfully these horrible Bruce Allen trade results are in the past. Best of luck to the man outside of football, though. *shrugs*

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

17 minutes ago, SpacePenguin said:

This. I hate to break it to some of you ( not directed at you, warhead), but he wasn't exactly lighting it up even before the injury in 2018. 29th in QBR, while scraping out a few wins over injured/bad teams on the back of a good Redskins defense and a miraculously productive in his old age Adrian Peterson.

I don't often criticize Alex Smith outside of the days I have to watch him attempt to play QB, because it feels like I'm insulting a corpse at this point....but thankfully these horrible Bruce Allen trade results are in the past. Best of luck to the man outside of football, though. *shrugs*

I've said it before on the board, but I was SCREAMING at the television the day he got hurt that we needed to put Colt in because Alex was playing awful and at least Colt could efficiently run the offense.  Then he got hurt and I felt like an ***.

But let's call it what it is - he's a great guy, and it's a great story, but he was never a great QB for us, and to say he was, is purely revisionist history. 

• Thanks 1

We won with Alex Smith. That's undeniable. Whoever becomes our next starting QB needs to do the same. Impressive stats and a 7-9 record doesn't mean **** to me. Never has, never will. I'm tired of "He's good, we just need to get better OLine/running game/wide receivers/defense/what-the-****-ever in order to start winning" (which has been the argument in Minnesota for the last 3 years)...I'm tired of debates to determine who was "really" at fault for each INT (which Cowboys fans argued ad nauseam for 10 years with next to nothing to show for it)...or whether or not the QB's stats were mostly in "garbage time". These are the arguments fans delve into when the team doesn't win nearly enough with the current starting QB. I was impressed with Alex Smith's heart and grit to return from a devastating injury, but I was thankful for his role in helping to guide the team to more than twice as many wins as losses for a team that was chaotic, dysfunctional, poorly coached, and depleted of offensive talent for most of the last 3 years. He did what none of our other 7 QBs who started these last 3 seasons came even remotely close to doing. I don't really give a **** what his QBR was...some how, some way, when he started we won. I need our next QB--Fitz, Heineken, Allen, rookie, whoever--to do the same.

I also want Smith to at least pretend like he's in touch with reality here..."They didn't think I could start"--nobody did. "I wasn't in their plans"--you were never in anyone's plans. "They were patronizing towards me"--I actually feel like being patronizing to you now lol. "They didn't support me"--Everyone around the league wanted you to retire 2 years ago. "The doctor says the team kept harping on whether or not I was healthy enough to play"--is this the same doctor who suggested to your wife that you get your leg amputated?

All of that was paraphrased for effect, obviously...and this has to be the world's most milquetoast criticisms this team under Snyder has EVER faced lol...I can't even muster the energy or desire to get bothered by it. So go out with more class than this, please. Some day you'll look back on all this and tell yourself that going out with a winning record on one of the worst teams in the NFL, guiding the team to first place in the division before you got hurt and to a playoff birth the season you were not supposed to ever see the field will be a pretty decent way to wrap things up. And if not, the obscene amount of money you received for a grand total of 16 starts should soften the blows to your ego.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3

@KDawg and @Califan007 pretty much sum up my own thoughts with their excellent posts above.

In addition, I am a little surprised and disappointed by some of Alex's comments. He's shown himself to be such a classy guy in the past that these don't actually sound like his own words and I can't shake the feeling that his comments are somewhat manufactured just to be a little controversial.

I've obviously got no evidence for this and am probably being far too cynical but his recent comments do add an extra edge to the story/book/film.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

Bingo. Whenever I see or hear a fan cite the team record with Alex as the starter, while totally ignoring just how poorly he played (including pre-injury), I simply dismiss them as ignorant.  While I appreciate what he did for this team I will never forget just how crappy he played for us.   

Get his noodle arm check downs out of here and let's see what a real QB can do.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Bingo. Whenever I see or hear a fan cite the team record with Alex as the starter, while totally ignoring just how poorly he played (including pre-injury), I simply dismiss them as ignorant. 

You wanna explain how the team went 11-5 with him as starter but could only muster 6 wins between 7 other QBs with the same roster and coaches?

Rivera and Turner already gave some strong reasons why this occurred. Doubt you'd consider either of them "ignorant".

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You wanna explain how the team went 11-5 with him as starter but could only muster 6 wins between 7 other QBs with the same roster and coaches?

Rivera and Turner already gave some strong reasons why this occurred. Doubt you'd consider either of them "ignorant".

I'm not doing this. I'm done arguing the play of Alex Smith.  Ron also said the team would have gone on a similar run with Kyle behind center and Kyle is now the 3rd best QB on the roster.    

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I'm not doing this. I'm done arguing the play of Alex Smith.  Ron also said the team would have gone on a similar run with Kyle behind center and Kyle is now the 3rd best QB on the roster.    

"Would have" vs "Did".

Offense averaged a TD more when Smith started than when Allen started. Also won a lot more.

And if you don't want to argue Smith's play with anyone, don't do a drive-by post calling  people who hold a different opinion "ignorant". That's a tip, folks, write it down.

Edited by Califan007
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

"Would have" vs "Did".

Offense averaged a TD more when Smith started than when Allen started. Also won a lot more.

And if you don't want to argue Smith's play with anyone, don't do a drive-by post calling  people who hold a different opinion "ignorant". That's a tip, folks, write it down.

Whatever dude. If you want to pimp a game manger who had 6 TD and 8 INTs, a QB who threw the fewest pass air yards by a large margin, a QB who was ranked at the bottom of the league starters and fail to realize team record is a function of the entire team's play and not just the QB knock yourself out.  Just don't be surprised when others call you on it.  Me, I'm done arguing it.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Whatever dude. If you want to pimp a game manger who had 6 TD and 8 INTs, a QB who threw the fewest pass air yards by a large margin, a QB who was ranked at the bottom of the league starters and fail to realize team record is a function of the entire team's play and not just the QB knock yourself out.  Just don't be surprised when others call you on it.  Me, I'm done arguing it.  

You like stats, I like playoffs.  You bet I'll pimp the QB who took a 1-4 team to the playoffs.

Smith is coming off like a loser after all this imo. I wanted to see dude as a hero but he keeps coming off like he wants to feel like someone did him wrong, when in reality sometimes there are just bad breaks in sports. Pun honestly not intended. Dude was still injured. Hes STILL injured, now, on that same leg from the same injury. But he feels like the team patronized him? 

One fracture in his leg had not actually healed. A “non-union,” the surgeons called it

For a few more weeks, he was willing to listen to offers. Jacksonville called, proposing a chance for poetic symmetry. Smith could reunite with his college coach, Urban Meyer, and mentor the presumed next No. 1 pick in Trevor Lawrence. But the team’s orthopedic surgeon came back after the physical and pointed out the “non-union” that remained in his leg. It still had not fully healed. They called Alderete together, right then, and the optimistic colonel told the Jags that Smith was the only non-union athlete he had ever cleared and why. Still, Jacksonville offered a contract, though Jags GM Trent Baalke wanted Smith to sign a special waiver for his leg and suggested any team would request the same. 

And they still put his ass on the field. Knowing that if this **** went south, they would be the bad guys forever for putting him out there. Yet he wants to feel like someone owed him something more than what he got. **** him, honestly. What a hoe. 

Edited by Llevron
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Smith is coming off like a loser after all this imo. I wanted to see dude as a hero but he keeps coming off like he wants to feel like someone did him wrong, when in reality sometimes there are just bad breaks in sports. Pun honestly not intended. Dude was still injured. Hes STILL injured, now, on that same leg from the same injury. But he feels like the team patronized him? 

And they still put his ass on the field. Knowing that if this **** went south, they would be the bad guys forever for putting him out there. Yet he wants to feel like someone owed him something more than what he got. **** him, honestly. What a hoe. 

Yep, if he hurt his leg again RR would have been treated like Shanny after the RGIII fiasco by many.  He was in a tough spot, Alex should recognize that and stop this nonsense.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan