Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

57 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Does that affect the cap at all?  What would have been the difference if he had retired while on our roster vs us releasing him and then he retired?

Just my semi-educated guess:

If he had retired due to injury, while still on our roster,  I believe our insurance would have covered a significant percentage of any money due him. I don’t know how or if that might have effected his remaining cap charge.

The bottom line is that we cut him, he didn’t retire and the financial burden remains with us.

Alex, of course, more than earned every penny that he gets.

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

It would be a PR disaster and might cost Ron the team if they went after Alex to reclaim a few bonus bucks

I don't think there is any talk of them doing it.  The cap implication is interesting because it allows them to sign more players.  But as for money he and every football player should get IMO every red cent. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

Just now, Burgold said:

It would be a PR disaster and might cost Ron the team if they went after Alex to reclaim a few bonus bucks

Agreed.  Going after the signing bonus, after we cut him, would be classless.  If we did, however, I'm sure the finger would be pointed at Snyder, not Ron, and most people wouldn't be surprised if Snyder went after the money.    

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't think there is any talk of them doing it.  The cap implication is interesting because it allows them to sign more players.  But as for money he and every football player should get IMO every red cent. 

I don't know if you were saying this based on what I posted.  I think there are cases to try and retain a portion of SB, but Alex isn't it.  I just added since it was mentioned as a potential caveat. 

edit: When players like Haynesworth seemingly give up after signing big money, IDK if every player should get every red cent.  However, Alex worked his ass off and definitely should not have been a consideration for SB returned.

Edited by jsharrin55

4 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Sorry it didn't work out for him here. Probably , noone signing him; nudged him to the right decision.

If he wants to coach, KC or Jackonsonville would love to have him.

I’d say (other than of course the leg injury) it worked out well for him here, being able to lead the team to a division title. 

For many an internal locus of control might as well be just an illusion.

They are as free and self determining as a leaf buffeted by the wind constantly blowing from one gutter to the next.

Then their are the few who truly take the reigns into their own hands...

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

Nothing but heart radiates from that man. Can't not like the guy. His resurrection and recovery from that injury would make any Zombie shed a tear.

Wish him the best in whatever he does next.

I'd personally love for him to come and coach here. Then he wont have to relocate again.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Long Time Fan said:

Agreed.  Going after the signing bonus, after we cut him, would be classless.  If we did, however, I'm sure the finger would be pointed at Snyder, not Ron, and most people wouldn't be surprised if Snyder went after the money.    

Maybe, but as far as team morale it would still sink the ship. I'm not looking at that as far as fan morale or NFL morale, but team chemistry couldn't take that kind of hit.

• Like 2

Not that I really care about the money, but its a little crappy that we dont get any of it back. I understand it though. And I do find it a bit off that teams wanted to sign him, but he retired instead. But then the media made us the bad guys for cutting him? 

Meh. In the end everything is as it should be. Dude ended his career on a major high imo and all parties were better off because of it. I hope he comes back as a coach and it would be cool if it were here. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

What teams wanted to sign him?  I didn't catch any of that.

I'd imagine if someone did, it would be purely as a back up for vet min.  With the money he's made, I can see why that wouldn't be very attractive.

Jax

Signing with Jacksonville might have been a gateway to coaching under Urban's tutelage, but perhaps Smith doesn't want to do that...or isn't sure yet. It's not like the man ever really needs to earn another cent in his life. He's probably smart to spend some extended time with his family and mull it over.