Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

The fact is that Alex Smith has made over $189M ... Why in the world would he ever go take a job for fraction of the interest on half that money!?  Absolutely makes no sense.  Don't argue that he 'loves football' because he's a football player, not a $500k-1M per year QB Coach. The guy is rich and has a family with small children.  Maybe a time comes where he'd get bored and pursue other interests, but that's not anytime soon and speculation about him wanting to coach just because he played ahead of Patrick Mahomes doesn't mean anything.  If I'm going to guess like those saying that, I'd guess him to pursue a GM role, not a coaching gig.

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’d say (other than of course the leg injury) it worked out well for him here, being able to lead the team to a division title. 

It worked out well for him here? Dude got traded here under a horrible front office, got mauled under a useless coaching staff, had to rehabilitate himself to walk let alone play in a NFL game again, and still had to decide whether his future was playing the game he loves under an administration who saw him finished (not that ron and company were wrong) as opposed to spending a quality life with his family. 

Saying it worked out for the man is akin to saying it works out for immigrants in this country.  

Alex is a true warrior and I respect the hell out of him for what he accomplished when many of us would have given up.

Keep in mind, Alex couldn't even play in the wild card game cause his leg couldn't hold up (I dont hold that against him).

And on top of that,he came out in an interview  and said he didnt feel like the organization wanted him. I  truly believe he over played his worth when he killed d of forced his release from the team. But I get his view too. He wanted to start. Therw just weren't any takers.

Regardless,  I appreciate what he brought to our team.  A true professional who fought insurmountable odds to step back on the gridiron again. I wish him nothing but success in the future. 

But worked out well here? Not even close.

HTTR. 

Well there weren't too many teams with a QB situation so bad that it left an opening for a QB at his level post surgeries to get on the field.  So in that respect it did work out well for Alex, who gets to ride off into the sunset after saving a season for the Washington Football Team as his final act.  

50 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

The fact is that Alex Smith has made over $189M ... Why in the world would he ever go take a job for fraction of the interest on half that money!?  Absolutely makes no sense.  Don't argue that he 'loves football' because he's a football player, not a $500k-1M per year QB Coach. The guy is rich and has a family with small children.  Maybe a time comes where he'd get bored and pursue other interests, but that's not anytime soon and speculation about him wanting to coach just because he played ahead of Patrick Mahomes doesn't mean anything.  If I'm going to guess like those saying that, I'd guess him to pursue a GM role, not a coaching gig.

Have you ever had to spend time with your family?  **** gets old quick.  🤣

I agree that he won’t take the normal coaching route.

1 hour ago, skinsfan4128 said:

But worked out well here? Not even close.

HTTR. 

I meant in terms of his QB record, and being the only QB that had this team winning games, and leading the team to a division title when all odds were against him. in THAT area, it worked out well. Clearly the injury part didn’t work out well for him, I’m not saying it did. 

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He'll probably take a cushy studio job. Maybe end up as a color commentator somewhere.

He'll probably dominate his local racketball court and spend his time banging his smoking hot wife on top of a giant pile of money and ride a sweet ****ing retirement out into the sunset.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

He'll probably dominate his local racketball court and spend his time banging his smoking hot wife on top of a giant pile of money and ride a sweet ****ing retirement out into the sunset.

This is for sure.  However I wonder if he has any desire to either be in a front office or coach.  Because I think he could probably do either if he wanted to. 

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

He'll spend time with the family for now but once his football season rolls around; he will inevitably miss it some.

If he does coach one day; it wouldn't be for the money but for the love of the game.  Take what he learned as a player and coach other players.  Coaching would be more satisfying than some gm job.  Whatever he does; this would be a few years down the road.

Thanks for everything Alex.

You proved a lot of people wrong (myself included) by coming back. It's a shame that it didn't work out better, but that's life I guess.

(If you listen very carefully, you can hear Sandy Vagina and the rest of his fanboy crew, crying into their Alex Smith pillowcases).

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Thread title must be changed...to

"ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full backyard activity, with his toddler kids"

That’s a fitting and well deserved “happily ever after” type ending for a fairy tale of a life.

Winning big is not always the same thing as winning the big game and no one can deny that Alex won big in the game of life.

On 4/19/2021 at 2:31 PM, skinsfan4128 said:

It worked out well for him here? Dude got traded here under a horrible front office, got mauled under a useless coaching staff, had to rehabilitate himself to walk let alone play in a NFL game again, and still had to decide whether his future was playing the game he loves under an administration who saw him finished (not that ron and company were wrong) as opposed to spending a quality life with his family. 

Saying it worked out for the man is akin to saying it works out for immigrants in this country. 

he said "other than the leg injury"...so rewriting this part of your post while taking out anything that is connected to his injury:

"It worked out well for him here? Dude got traded here under a horrible front office, as opposed to spending a quality life with his family."

Not the most convincing argument that he was wrong.

I wonder if there is some bitterness with Ron and Robin West considering she's now gone?   I didn't think any like that until seeing this story.

As for Alex and Ron.  I recall one beat guy said they know Alex is hot about Ron's comments that they could have won if Kyle Allen played, too.   In Ron's defense though.  He was asked that question, he didn't say it unsolicited and he complemented Alex as part of his overall comment.

39 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’m confused, what does he mean about the coaches patronizing about the comeback? 

...Sometimes, Smith saw his coaches flinch when they spied the blood that dripped from underneath his brace. He told friends he would not complain if they released him, told him he wasn’t good enough, or deemed him too much of a risk.

Smith believed the team wanted to see if it could break him, and if that sounds paranoid, the team physician agreed with him. They seemed to be asking, Dr. Robin West says, “What can he withstand?”

“Are you sure you’re clearing him?” the coaches would ask. West would try and explain. The short answer: Yes. The disclaimer: She would assess his leg based on her informed medical opinion. “I got very little support,” she says. “He almost died. He almost lost his leg. Why would he want to?” Reasonable questions. “That’s not your decision,” West told them.

Smith found the coaches “patronizing,” meaning he believed they preferred a cute story, the comeback already at the end. His father, Doug, says he believes the team “sabotaged” the return. None of the Smiths could figure out why. The coaches could worry about the injury and his future, but they were not experts. “I’d rather have somebody right in my face say, What are you thinking?” Smith says. “It pissed me off.”

(Rivera, as part of a statement to SI provided by a team spokesperson, says: “I was scared to death about putting [Alex] back out there and that is something I struggled with every day. It’s unfortunate that he feels we patronized him because I can tell you that was not our intention.

....For a few more weeks, he was willing to listen to offers. Jacksonville called, proposing a chance for poetic symmetry. Smith could reunite with his college coach, Urban Meyer, and mentor the presumed next No. 1 pick in Trevor Lawrence. But the team’s orthopedic surgeon came back after the physical and pointed out the “non-union” that remained in his leg. It still had not fully healed.

They called Alderete together, right then, and the optimistic colonel told the Jags that Smith was the only non-union athlete he had ever cleared and why. Still, Jacksonville offered a contract, though Jags GM Trent Baalke wanted Smith to sign a special waiver for his leg and suggested any team would request the same. The Texans wanted him too, but their quarterback situation remains in flux. Smith also heard from the Patriots, Eagles and Colts. But everyone had questions, conditions. He realized that only one path remained to leave football on his terms.

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2021/04/22/alex-smith-retirement-inside-comeback-tension-with-washington-coaches-daily-cover?__twitter_impression=true

Archived