Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Many months ago there was a rumor that he would finish his career at the Bears. Wonder if he has any kind of interest around the league?

As a cheap veteran backup he'll get interest. He can run a system and he won't lose you games.

Can’t see him deciding to return as a backup, wonder if there’s any connections with coaches who potentially are going to take one of the 4 top rated QBs in the draft. His value is great for a team in year 1 of rebuild with a young QB. 

Ive heard the drop foot continues to improve years into the recovery, does this have any merit? 

The calf injury should be a red flag for him personally in terms of quality of life after football. I think it was the surgery leg and i I think it was a non contact injury. The leg just couldn't support playing pro football. Maybe I mis-understood. 

Add: Leaving after this season puts a nice bow on the story anyway. He gets to end on a high note after having come back from a terrible injury to turn around the team, spark them to the playoffs, and win come back player of the year. After some time to reflect on the situation, I can't see any way he doesn't retire).

Edited by Stadium-Armory
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Stadium-Armory said:

The calf injury should be a red flag for him personally in terms of quality of life after football. I think it was the surgery leg and i I think it was a non contact injury. The leg just couldn't support playing pro football. Maybe I mis-understood. 

Add: Leaving after this season puts a nice bow on the story anyway. He gets to end on a high note after having come back from a terrible injury to turn around the team, spark them to the playoffs, and win come back player of the year. After some time to reflect on the situation, I can't see any way he doesn't retire).

Most likely can careless about bows on stories. If he feels he can play and there’s an opportunity to start, then I’m sure he’ll entertain it. Tough to tell another man to hang it up if his services are still wanted, especially if it’s to be a starter. He’s probably letting the dust settle with the wild QB market and will take it from there. 

Ran a marathon recently and some say to themselves and me at times, why would you do that. Me: none of your business. 

Whenever I see this clip, it seems clear that Alex Smith is really unhappy at the moment. I'd expect him to be a little more happy to say hello to Brady.

Even with a huge mask, it seems clear...from the eyes, the mannerisms, etc..

Is he just super bummed about the loss, and that's it, or is there something else ?

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

On 1/28/2021 at 8:04 AM, Stadium-Armory said:

It wasn't a calf injury, rather a bone bruise.  FYI that feels like a broken leg, constant pain that increases with pressure.  So, his muscle was ok.  What that could mean is Alex will come back with more developed muscle and likely want to compete for the starting role.  Now that the QB they went after is gone, I don't expect him to retire.  Doesn't make the QB situation any easier.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/washington-football-team-qb-alex-smith-on-60-minutes-what-we-learned

We found out that Smith had a bone bruise and not a calf injury. That's strange because the team never mentioned anything about a bone bruise. 

• Thanks 1

I can't see why Alex Smith would want to play anymore, other than than money, competitive spirit, and love for the game.  So I guess I just named three things right there haha.  Still, the man almost died and is a lower-body injury away from suffering another major setback.  He is not the same QB he was when he was 30 or even 31-32.  He proved he could come back, now go retire to your mansion by the beach and enjoy your family and wine cellar.

• Like 2

On 1/26/2021 at 12:30 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I’m not sure why he would put in a ton of work to be a backup.  

If he didn’t have a chance to start moving to his huge house in Hawaii seems like a much more intelligent thing to do. 

You shouldn't discount passion. If his passion is playing football, being in a huge house in Hawaii won't make that part of him irrelevant to his happiness. If he's healthy enough and feels he has proven he can still contribute on the field--and going 5-1 as starter on a 7-9 team might have him thinking that way lol--I don't see him having the same mentality that fans have towards him.

Edited by Califan007
Missed an extremely important comma...

8 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

You shouldn't discount passion. If his passion is playing football, being in a huge house in Hawaii won't make that part of him irrelevant to his happiness. If he's healthy enough and feels he has proven he can still contribute on the field--and going 5-1 as starter on a 7-9 team might have him thinking that way lol--I don't see him having the same mentality that fans have towards him.

Yeah, good point.  And I don't discount the passion to continue to play.  But it's absolutely clear that in Washington, at best, he goes into next season in a competition for the starting job, and I just can't imagine that the team pays him the $20m salary to do it.  

The 2 most likely scenarios for Alex are:

1. He just retires.  Regardless of his passion, he and his family decide that it's time for the next chapter of his life.  Maybe it's them seeing eye to eye on it, or maybe it's his wife just saying she and the kids can't go through it any more, especially when he got injured on the same leg at the end of last season.  However they get to this position, they get to it.  (And I think this is probably the most realistic scenario)

2. He wants to continue, but the team releases him to get out of the contract and save $13m on the cap.  

In the second scenario, it's possible he returns under a different contract if the team doesn't add somebody else.  It's also possible he has to look for a new team, which would probably be bringing him in to be a backup.

However, the good news for him is that there are a bunch of teams who need QBs, and who are going to lose out on one of the top QBs in the draft.  So, maybe he could go sign a 1 year deal in Chicago or Indy? Honestly, depending on what other moves happen, Smith might not be a terrible option, at least to compete in camp for the starting job.  

The really sneaky possibility if he's released and wants to continue playing would be Jacksonville.  Urban Meyer was his college coach, and maybe Meyer brings him in to mentor Lawrence, possibly start at the beginning of the year, or at least push Lawrence early in camp and show him the right way to do things.   Honestly, if I was Smith, this might be the absolute best situation, except for the fact he probably wants to win, and that's not really a situation that's going to lead to a lot of wins right away.  

Or he re-signs here, but I think Ron and company have a lot of faith in Kyle Allen, so there would certainly be a competition for the starting job.   Regardless, they're not going into the season with Allen, Hieneke and Montez as the three QBs.  They will bring in somebody else, either Alex at a reduced number or some other castoff (like that Mitch guy, or somebody like that) to compete.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

so happy for him 

I was on the verge of tears...almost like I was, when he trotted back on the field against the Rams for the first time, and seeing his family react in the stands.

I'm kind of glad that they did show some of the more grotesque photos of the recovery, because it makes sure everyone truly appreciates what he did. Because apparently there's still people who don't - since some people still actually believe Big Ben deserved it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1