Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

So bye bye Heinicke. You don't want to trade up for Lance and let him sit for a year? Or draft Newman or Book and let them learn from Smith and Allen?

I know you want some grand solution to the QB position, but that's generally unrealistic. I want to win games and grow a rookie in a great QB room.

I'm lost. Heinicke at $2mill after a showstopper performance, proving what a QB who can move could do for the Offense, or $24mill for Broken Alex Smith who can't move and got beat up on by Eagles backups because he has no mobility left and you think Smith is the better move? 

To put context around that, $22mill buys you Allen Robinson. $14mill for just cutting Smith if he doesn't retire gets you any other WR hitting FA.... Even in your Lance scenario, keeping Smith makes zero sense.

So Heinicke and Alan Robinson/Juju (based on the $14 mill not because he compares to ARob) etc for a year with Lance having a premier/very decent WR2 target under contract for a couple of years in 2022.... or Alex Smith and Steven Sims for a year and then Lance having Sims to throw to?

Given how much impact Smith had on Haskins, do you think Smith's "mentorship" is a bigger asset than the talent gap between Robinson and Sims? If the answer is no, then your argument is washed. You say you want to win, but do you really think broken Alex Smith + Sims wins more games than Heinicke/Allen and ARob? I don't.

If Smith wasn't broken then fully on board at $24mill per year.... but he's broken.

Smith's value is nowhere near his contract, to the point I'm genuinely surprised that some people want to keep him around at that number. 

Love Alex and what he has done, but it's over.

Edited by UKskins
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Correct if we are really turning a new leaf Smith is worthless to this organization...

on the other hand cutting him might not be that good a look for the organization

• Like 1

I have a hard time believing he'll be back and no, he isn't worth the money.

It's just been so ****ing long since we've been a winning team and he brought that to us, I don't want to let go.

• Like 4
11 hours ago, KDawg said:

Smith not retiring certainly puts us in a bit of a bind.

The brain says he’s the odd man out... but does the brain win out over the front office’s hearts? New GM may make that happen. But it’s going to be tough to pull that trigger given his 11-5 record vs. 6-27 in games without him as starter and his recovery from a near death experience. 

Not tough for me.  Thanks for everything but its time to queue up Green Day and hope he had the time of his life.

Listening to Alex Smith last night, I got the feeling that this is beyond playing football.  I think Alex is seen as an example for troops who have suffered devastating injuries and came back to a high level.  The military doctor was choked up just discussing it.

Alex is aware of this and I can't see him retiring.  I am not going to make a judgement on that decision, but I hope the FO has good, honest and continuing communication with him.

:229:The Rook

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

So bye bye Heinicke. You don't want to trade up for Lance and let him sit for a year? Or draft Newman or Book and let them learn from Smith and Allen?

I know you want some grand solution to the QB position, but that's generally unrealistic. I want to win games and grow a rookie in a great QB room.

I got doubts that Heinicke's body could hold up over a season.  But still I'd easily bring him back over Alex.    Alex in shoot out type of games see the one against Brees and Ryan in 2018 hasn't fared well.  The defense has to be on their game for him typically to succeed.   I don't think Alex would have matched Heinicke's performance in the playoffs as crazy as that may sound.  That type of game isn't up his alley.  That was a shoot out.  The defense wasn't on that day.  The running game wasn't working. 

Alex is typically not the guy that carries the team on his shoulders. He's a not ruin the party of the other units kind of guy and supplements them well.  With some rare exceptions. My point has nothing to do with Heinicke versus Alex but to me that game is an illustration that in the playoffs sometimes your defense won't be on fire when facing an elite QB on the other side.  And you need the Qb in those cases to carry you.  There is a clear ceiling with Alex IMO and a high floor.   

While I do think some are getting carried away with the Heinicke stuff.  I am still intrigued to bring him back.  There is at a minimum some mystery that he could be that guy or more likely a high end backup.  There isn't really much long term upside to Alex IMO.  

I'd want to trade up for Lance but I think its very unlikely it happens.  We are picking 19 and a number of QB needy teams are picking ahead of us.  I think Mac Jones would be the highest ranking Qb left at 19. Lance I'd bet is gone top 10.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I got doubts that Heinicke's body could hold up over a season.  But still I'd easily bring him back over Alex.    Alex in shoot out type of games see the one against Brees and Ryan in 2018 hasn't fared well.  The defense has to be on their game for him typically to succeed.   I don't think Alex would have matched Heinicke's performance in the playoffs as crazy as that may sound.  That type of game isn't up his alley.  That was a shoot out.  The defense wasn't on that day.  The running game wasn't working. 

Alex is typically not the guy that carries the team on his shoulders. He's a not ruin the party of the other units kind of guy and supplements them well.  With some rare exceptions. My point has nothing to do with Heinicke versus Alex but to me that game is an illustration that in the playoffs sometimes your defense won't be on fire when facing an elite QB on the other side.  And you need the Qb in those cases to carry you.  There is a clear ceiling with Alex IMO and a high floor.   

While I do think some are getting carried away with the Heinicke stuff.  I am still intrigued to bring him back.  There is at a minimum some mystery that he could be that guy or more likely a high end backup.  There isn't really much long term upside to Alex IMO.  

I'd want to trade up for Lance but I think its very unlikely it happens.  We are picking 19 and a number of QB needy teams are picking ahead of us.  I think Mac Jones would be the highest ranking Qb left at 19. Lance I'd bet is gone top 10.  

What makes you like Lance to point of wanting the team trade up for him? 

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

What makes you like Lance to point of wanting the team trade up for him? 

I explained the pros and cons of Lance in detail on the draft thread.  I don't have the energy to repeat.  But in short, i wouldn't trade the farm to get him.  If he happened to fall which I don't think he will, and we can avoid giving up a ton I'd consider.  I love Zach Wilson, Fields.  I like Lance.

Cliff notes on Lance:  boom-bust prospect.  high intangibles supposedly.  Strong arm.  As a runner, he's potentially a poor man's Lamar Jackson.  He's special as a runner.  He's a one read, raw passer. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

and starring down your 1 read in the NFL is

**money gif**

Not to take this too far off topic but being a mobile qb that is willing to learn makes a one read qb look good while developing his full route tree progressions.  We saw it first hand here in RG3(though with injuries and stubbornness didn't work out), more recently with Allen and Watson coming out of college that mobility can make up for some limitations.  His lack of reading through progressions doesn't worry me as much as his footwork(which is also correctable).  If Lance falls to where I'm able to give up one of my 3rds and a fifth if need be to move up, I do it in a heartbeat.

To bring this back to topic, Alex needs to think long term.  What cost does him continuing to play have on his overall living situation moving forward.  Will it impact his ability to play with his children, or even impact his ability to walk down the road.  I completely respect the man's heart and testicular fortitude but he wont last a full 16 game season.  He made it 4.5 games before the leg became an issue that lingered through the end of 2020.  He needs to either retire, or if he chooses to continue be released with a hero's exit(ironically similar to how Carolina delicately released Ron), or hope we can find a team that would offer a 6-7th in a trade for him.

I appreciate everything Alex has done for this team, he will go down as the highest winning percentage of a qb during the last 3 decades(man is that depressing to type out every time I have to mention it).  He provided a positive vibe and a proven professionalism that we have seen from very few here.  Unfortunately we are at a crossroads, do we continue to ignore the blatant issue of $$$ to production or do we let him move on to do what he wants for a team that has the ability to let him continue to play.  If we go into the season with Alex Smith on this team, regardless of how great he has been for this franchise...we have failed as an organization.

Edited by thelongestbreath
  • Like 1

Just read article which quotes John Riggins as saying Skins need to move on from Alex Smith.

I agree with Riggo who said he could be a good coach or work in the front office.

We need the cap space we would gain by him retiring.

If we cut him I think we get less cap space.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Just read article which quotes John Riggins as saying Skins need to move on from Alex Smith.

I agree with Riggo who said he could be a good coach or work in the front office.

We need the cap space we would gain by him retiring.

If we cut him I think we get less cap space.

I actually don't think there's a difference

The front office needs to make the business decision to cut Alex. The emotional side shouldn't factor in at all. You don't pay a backup/mentor, injured, aging QB $20 million with the rest of the team young and showing signs of building. Alex is a warrior, and his story is a great one, but it is about the football now. I get the 5-1 record, but he really didn't play that well all year. He threw for a ton of yards in the losses to Detroit and NYG, but after that it was "game management". You don't win in the playoffs with game managers.

Go find a QB that can elevate the entire offense. 

• Like 1

Lots of people think Smith is done and they want him released but I heard two different stories on his contract. 1- guy on radio said Smith's contract is not guaranteed next year. Now to me that means he can be cut at no cap cost to us. 2 - someone posted here that if we cut Smith we still owe him lots of money for 2 years and it will affect our cap. Which one is true? Thanks.

Edited by 50yrSKINSfan
Spelling era

g6rifu2xldbawl1pgibl.jpg

https://www.washingtonfootball.com/news/alex-smith-sporting-news-comeback-player-of-the-year

Alex Smith Voted Sporting News Comeback Player Of The Year

Jan 21, 2021 at 12:00 PM

Zach Selby

Staff Writer

Washington Football Team quarterback Alex Smith, who completed a two-year comeback from a life-threatening injury, has been named Sporting News' NFL Comeback Player of the Year.

Smith, who played his first game since suffering a compound fracture in his tibia and fibula on Nov. 18, 2018, in Week 5 against the Los Angeles Rams, was named Washington's starting quarterback in Week 10 and went 5-1 as a starter. He completed 66.7% of his passes for 1,582 yards and threw six touchdowns to eight interceptions.

"He does it exactly how we ask him to do it, and then he does it with decisiveness," quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese said of Smith. "Everything's thought out. Every look is thought out. When I'm going to this guy and why. When it happens on game day, it's natural, it's quick, it's decisive, and it goes to where we said it was supposed to go. You love that as a coach. The things that you talk about during the week happen on game day—that's a huge positive. It makes you want to give more and more."

The story of Smith's return to the field is one of the most unique in sports history. After suffering his injury against the Houston Texans in 2018, he dealt with an infection that resulted in 17 surgeries. While the surgeries were ultimately a success, there were many who believed his career was over

But as Smith began his rehab, there was a growing belief that maybe, with the right amount of work, he would be able to play once again.

"To watch him light up, to watch him get that inner drive again," his wife, Elizabeth Smith, said during the E60 documentary "Project 11." "He kept his gratitude, kept a good perspective, but not so much the drive. I saw it again."

Smith went through grueling hours of rehab, but he slowly began to improve. He moved from getting around with assistance to walking on his own. Then, nearly one year after his injury, he was incorporating football movements into his workouts, which included running and throwing passes to receivers.

As training camp for the 2020 season drew near, he received even better news: he was medically cleared for contact by both the team doctors and his own medical team. The team placed him on the Physically Unable to Perform list to continue to monitor his health and give him more time to get his body in shape.

It was not long before Smith was taken off the PUP list, and he was going through drills in training camp with a controlled pass rush. By the time camp was over, Washington had kept Smith on the initial 53-man roster as its third quarterback.

"We notice that he is getting stronger and stronger, His movements are all coming back," head coach Ron Rivera said Aug. 10. "But again, we don't want to put him on the field and expose him until the proper opportunity comes. We're trying to be smart. We're trying to be diligent in this situation because of Alex's circumstances. He's been tremendous right now and we expect him to continue to develop and grow. When the moment's right, at the appropriate time we'll make our decision."

• Like 8

I think if Alex goes we have $10.4M in dead cap.  If we designate him a "post june 1 cut", we split that cap hit between this and next year.  So $5.2M each year.   Easy to take that on.  If he plays he gets like $22 - $24M from us in 2021.  

On 1/18/2021 at 10:06 AM, carex said:

on the other hand cutting him might not be that good a look for the organization

Players are released all the time. Nobody will look badly at an organization that decided not to pay an aging one legged QB $24 million.  

• Like 1