Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

1 minute ago, DJHJR86 said:

^
Good.

I mean his QBR in the 5 games that the team has won with him as the starter is 27.4.  Dwayne's last 5 games was a QBR of 31.8.  

You dont worry about rhythm and continuity when rotating? 

One thing I do like about Ron is that he is not just happy with getting this far. He is willing to do unconventional things to win if it will help him. I like that. i think it would be really easy to be happy with what he has done already this season and just go with Alex and take what you get. Thats what I have been saying this entire time but hes not satisfied with that. 

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

One thing I do like about Ron is that he is not just happy with getting this far. He is willing to do unconventional things to win if it will help him. I like that. i think it would be really easy to be happy with what he has done already this season and just go with Alex and take what you get. Thats what I have been saying this entire time but hes not satisfied with that. 

Actually, with this case I wouldn’t.

If I were looking at a rotation it would have clear rules. Smith’s got the gig. Period. As long as he is planting and throwing and not getting lambasted, he stays in. If he struggles a bit, Heinicke goes in. If Heinicke looks great, he stays in until he starts to slump. Then get Alex back in. 

I actually kind of like this approach. Heinicke’s mobility and downfield passing give a different look than Smith’s timing based passing. 

I think the players would buy in because Smith is their dude but Heinicke offers them some things Smith’s health didn’t last week and a spark AND it challenges Tampa’s D in a different way.

If either of them look really bad and the other look great then you play the guy with the hot hand.

It’s extremely smart if Turner calls the game according to strengths and weaknesses for each guy. The defense is going to be guessing a bit more. 

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Actually, with this case I wouldn’t.

If I were looking at a rotation it would have clear rules. Smith’s got the gig. Period. As long as he is planting and throwing and not getting lambasted, he stays in. If he struggles a bit, Heinicke goes in. If Heinicke looks great, he stays in until he starts to slump. Then get Alex back in. 

I actually kind of like this approach. Heinicke’s mobility and downfield passing give a different look than Smith’s timing based passing. 

I think the players would buy in because Smith is their dude but Heinicke offers them some things Smith’s health didn’t last week and a spark AND it challenges Tampa’s D in a different way.

If either of them look really bad and the other look great then you play the guy with the hot hand.

It’s extremely smart if Turner calls the game according to strengths and weaknesses for each guy. The defense is going to be guessing a bit more. 

Thats actually not at all what came to my mind when I read rotation. I like that a lot and if played the way you describe it I actually like how much it could throw off Tampa's defense if Heinickes legs actually help make a difference. Its like playing two completely different teams offensively if Turner can call it right. 

Just now, petey hodge said:

I think it's a tactic to keep the bucs defensive planners honest this week... otherwise, they'll simply prepare to attack our one-dimensional offense with a very immobile Alex.

Right I think thats the point now that Kdawg has said it. With Alex you blitz up the gut and make him move. If he cant we lose. But if that happens and you put in a guy that can move he could hurt you, forcing you to do something you either didnt plan for, or do something you had to waste time planning for. Its a win win for us if it works. Big if tho. 

24 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I have learned this year to not question Ron on pretty much anything, so the unconventionality of this is intriguing to me.  And if Heinicke were to come in and crap the bed, he could always go back to Alex.  

7 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I have learned this year to not question Ron on pretty much anything, so the unconventionality of this is intriguing to me.  And if Heinicke were to come in and crap the bed, he could always go back to Alex.  

True **** lol

52 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thank God.

Alex is just not durable enough to last a game. I really think listening to post-game pressers that Ron left him in against Philadelphia bc the Eagles were basically tanking and he felt we could probably just grind out the win.

TB won't be that way. Alex for 4 quarters getting sore and even less mobile won't give us the best chance to win. He can't climb the pocket, he can't shift the pocket, he can't evade pressure, he can't roll out. It's not just about "not being a mobile quarterback". Even statues like Brady are nimble enough to extend plays and reset pockets. Alex can't even do that anymore.

Let him start and play while his calf is least sore. But you gotta plan on playing Taylor. His mobility alone is worth it. 

This is not yesterday's nfl anymore either.

30 years ago you'd be laughed out of a press conference for suggesting rotating quarterbacks but now its becoming more and more common especially when one quarterback is old and stationary and the other can run.

I see absolutely no reason not to consider rotating them especially if everybody is on board with it and they plan for it so it lessens the effect on morale and continuity. 

3 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

I’m just happy its even a consideration. He sees what we see. That’s encouraging, I think. 

That's where Im at..at least Ron sees it and is acknowledging Smith has limitations. Ron is loyal to Smith and is sticking with him after everything he has accomplished. Just as was said previously, Heinike will provide a spark at times and make the defense adjust to two different QB's. Im all in!

10 minutes ago, redskinss said:

30 years ago you'd be laughed out of a press conference for suggesting rotating quarterbacks but now its becoming more and more common especially when one quarterback is old and stationary and the other can run.

I see absolutely no reason not to consider rotating them especially if everybody is on board with it and they plan for it so it lessens the effect on morale and continuity. 

As a coach I try to dissect the stupid cliche **** we say all the time... And rhythm, I’ve determined, means: “our top guy is so much better than our other guy that If we did something crazy like rotate I’d be an idiot”. Whereas the idea of rotation means your top guy isn’t that great or he’s banged up but you still want the top guy to have a chance.

18 minutes ago, redskinss said:

30 years, and even 3 year ago as well.

I am happy to see so many here on board. Before Heiny, any mention of using 2 QBs in games was greeted with a chorus of it'll kill continuity! boo birds.

It's something the NFL coaching ranks has abhorred; afraid to cause civil unrest over who is number 1.  Ignoring we have all seen a backup come in and dominate. The OL play... suddenly improves. DBs get on their heels...oh **** FITZISIN!  And I even think it's a mistake to give one QB all first team reps all week and live in fantasy land thinking QBs don't get injured.  Or don't run a higher risk when playing already injured.

RR is smart as he should be saying this regardless to force Tampa to have 2 game plans.

I read this as being a sign that Heinicke could be getting the start. Rivera's a pretty straight-ahead guy, but he's obviously not sure which way to go at this point and will be giving Heinicke more reps. I don't know that it's a good idea to wait again to see how Smith's leg feels on Saturday morning.

An equally big concern is McLaurin and Gibson. If they're hobbled, then either QB is going to be challenged.

3 minutes ago, GoDeep81 said:

I love Alex Smith and his determination, but if can't get out of his own way again, coach has to be ready to pull the trigger with Heinicke. Glad it's being discussed anyway. At the very least it makes Tampa prepare for 2 quarterbacks. 

It’s a really interesting idea. If it works it could be something that the league uses when an older QB is on his last legs but isn’t quite at retirement level that the team still believes in... like Alex Smith. 

You don’t do it when your QB1 is Mahomes... though I don’t think Reid would argue with giving a strong runner who is developing some reps at times to change the dynamic of the offense for a play or two (not that they would). 

Teams do it when they don’t have any real QBs, but rarely is it seen as a tactic to extend a starter’s career. I think this is a really good thing to talk about.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Smith had half a game in him against the Eagles. If it is similar this week, I’m fine with rotating based on the game circumstances/situation. Why not ?

Let's also not forget how Alex has played in the playoffs in his career: 2-5, .286%, and that is when he has been healthy and younger/faster.  His style of play is not successful in the playoffs, and I'm sure RR is aware of that.

1 minute ago, Taylor 36 said:

Let's also not forget how Alex has played in the playoffs in his career: 2-5, .286%.  His style of play is not successful in the playoffs, and I'm sure RR is aware of that.

Well it seems obvious we are up against it. Need the D to dominate and probably need a strong special teams showing.

Our offense just needs to keep us in the hunt for as long as possible. I think that is how we have game planned for weeks. So any plan at QB, well, we should be open minded to.

Archived