Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Washington QB Alex Smith cleared by his surgical team for full football activity

justice98

14 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

On 6 days notice...I now don't think he starts.  You already know he's not healthy, you know he's probably going to tweak it again and make it even worse if he does play.  What's the outcome of that play as he tweaks it?  Sack?  Fumble?  Interception?  It seems too risky to rely on him.

2 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

On 6 days notice...I now don't think he starts.  You already know he's not healthy, you know he's probably going to tweak it again and make it even worse if he does play.  What's the outcome of that play as he tweaks it?  Sack?  Fumble?  Interception?  It seems too risky to rely on him.

I'm less worried about the outcome of the play and more worried about him risking permanent damage.  Guys got kids...I love Alex and what he has done is legendary.  But I'd rather he just go out on a hi (leading a team back into the playoffs), maybe take one or two snaps at the beginning just to let him start the playoff game, and then roll out Taylor.  I know it probably means we lose...but I can't watch another playoff game with a guy out there destroying his body (RG3 vs Seattle still makes me cringe...dudes leg was attached by a thread).

If Smith can play only half the game I wonder if Riverboat Ron would start Smith in the first and 4th quarters and try Heinke for the second and third quarters?

I doubt he would start Heinke and have him play the first half and Smith the second half because if we fall too far behind in the first half then the game is probably over.

I think it makes sense to rotate quarterbacks some way if Smith is only 50% healthy or less than 50% healthy.

24 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I believe, and I think Ron himself has said this too, that Alex could very well go the entire week with zero practice, and still start the game, as long as he feels ok.

Alex does not need the practice reps like some QB's do.

While I understand that and agree with the premise, it doesn't make me feel any better about starting a one-legged qb on saturday.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I believe, and I think Ron himself has said this too, that Alex could very well go the entire week with zero practice, and still start the game, as long as he feels ok.

Alex does not need the practice reps like some QB's do.

And I think the emphasis on a short passing game helps. Those long throws take some fine tuning. 

1 hour ago, steven11 said:

It won't. It's a desperate attempt by an awfully run org trying to keep their most marketable asset to both fans and hires happy. Plus, the PA has rules to stop that sort of thing.

There are other things that are making me check out, mainly the suspicion the NFL decides the results and the amount of money athletes make in these times.

Agreed. I don’t blame the athlete at all for leveraging their position. Who wouldn’t want to get out from a bad situation. Just cuts out my fan value—I think the NFL understands this, but gambling and fantasy is the future fan.  

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Agreed. I don’t blame the athlete at all for leveraging their position. Who wouldn’t want to get out from a bad situation. Just cuts out my fan value—I think the NFL understands this, but gambling and fantasy is the future fan.  

If there is a future fan, apparently young people aren't into the NFL much. 

On 1/8/2021 at 2:17 AM, RWJ said:

Thanks for posting as always, SIP.  How much danger do you put on this man with his whole life to live and be able to spend quality time with his wife and children.  There comes a point where the HC and trainers step in and say "Enough"!  One hit could jeopardize this man's life the rest of it.  This isn't towards you SIP as you know I love you my friend but just towards ALL professional coaches and athletic coaches.  Alex took us to the playoffs and that should be enough to say "Thank you" and move on to our next best option and that's TH and the QB from Washington.  Sorry for venting everyone but I hope RR makes the right decision even if Smith wants to play and RR tells him something like, "Alex, we love you.  We care about you.  You won the division for us.  Your story and courage is one that can't be matched.  We want the best for you and we think sitting you and re-evaluating you next year and talking to your wife about continuing to play is what's most important".  Just my 2 cents fellas.  :)

Seems like you nailed this. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Seems like you nailed this. 

Guessing but my thoughts.  D let us down last night.  TH played his guts out and hopefully earns a new contract with us.  Allen, TH and draft choice way I'm seeing it. :)  Could be out in right field though.

What if Alex wont retire as a football player???  I love Smiff and was inspired by his story all year, but like most... I saw when enough was enough, and it was time to cede to a healthy reliever.

If he insists on competing for the QB1 spot and won't graciously take the signal from coaches and friends, what do we do?  We cannot "cut" the Comeback Player of the Year, right?

Right?

3 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

What if Alex wont retire as a football player???  I love Smiff and was inspired by his story all year, but like most... I saw when enough was enough, and it was time to cede to a healthy reliever.

If he insists on competing for the QB1 spot and won't graciously take the signal from coaches and friends, what do we do?  We cannot "cut" the Comeback Player of the Year, right?

Right?

Nah we can cut him. LOL just makes no sense to have him cost $25M against the cap next year.

24 minutes ago, petey hodge said:

Right?

**** that gimp. His feel good story is over. He’s a scrub.

3 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Did Alex practice today ?

It's going to be like a Tom Coughlin situation were he's fired and keeps showing up anyway.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

You are a straight up monster.

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

Well, that’s certainly 1 take........

3 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Right?

I mean, if he wants to compete, let him compete. If he loses, let him decide if he wants to be cut or if he wants to mentor whichever QBs we have. 

Archived