Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

JP lives in Maryland. So he's not exactly objective in his view.  And btw, on the Redskins Talk Pod, Mitch keeps talking about tearing down Tysons Corner Mall and building a stadium there (I THINK he might have been serious the first time, but it's become a bit, that's funny but not going to happen.  But there absolutely would be land in the near-in suburbs available.  The problem is it's MASSIVELY expensive.  

And the team already alienated ~1/3 of it's fans when it moved to PG county, it made the commute from VA (where there were a lot of fans) ridiculous.

I'm a Virginian through and through.  I've never lived outside the Commonwealth.  I went to college in the Commonwealth.  

With that said:

- The ideal place for the stadium is on the RFK site. If that's not possible

- The next ideal place for the stadium is somewhere close to the river in either VA or MD.  "Close to the river" means it's somewhat centrally located, and there is probably already some infrastructure for it. Sadly, I just don't think there is room near Nats park to build another stadium.  Otherwise that would have been a good spot.  

- I would love a stadium on the VA side, but ideally not in Loudon or PW county. I don't even want to drive out there, and I live half way there.  

- That said, if it does end up in VA anywhere, and it makes it harder for MD fans to get there, then fine, it will also make it easier for VA fans to get there.  Us Virginians have had to schlep all the way to freaking RalJohn MD for the last 30 years, and it's sucked.  

I like the idea of a stadium near the MGM, the problem is there is currently no metro there.  There could be, but it's not there currently.  

• Like 2

19 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Bye!!!!  We get a new franchise in a year.  If it gets Dan out of here I am in. 

There is no guarantee of that.  Cleveland got the guarantee when he team moved.  They also got to keep all of the Browns history.  If Dan moves the team, all of our history and records go with the team.  We'd either start from scratch with an expansion franchise or would inherit whatever team moved here.  Which most likely would be the Jags, if there was a team to move, that's it.  (And I don't think they're moving.)  

But there is no guarantee for San Diego, Oakland or St. Louis.  They might never get a team.  Baltimore had to wait a generation to re-gain a team.

1 minute ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

There is no guarantee of that.  Cleveland got the guarantee when he team moved.  They also got to keep all of the Browns history.  If Dan moves the team, all of our history and records go with the team.  We'd either start from scratch with an expansion franchise or would inherit whatever team moved here.  Which most likely would be the Jags, if there was a team to move, that's it.  (And I don't think they're moving.)  

But there is no guarantee for San Diego, Oakland or St. Louis.  They might never get a team.  Baltimore had to wait a generation to re-gain a team.

I've been a Redzone guy now for two years, so I'd be fine with rolling that dice now. I'd rather Snyder leave MY team so I could have MY history back. But if he's sticking with this organization, oh well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I've been a Redzone guy now for two years, so I'd be fine with rolling that dice now. I'd rather Snyder leave MY team so I could have MY history back. But if he's sticking with this organization, oh well. 

I guess I would prefer to have this team here rather than not have a team.  

It would be really hard for me to root for the Jags because they moved here after Snyder took the team somewhere else. Maybe possible.  But I'm not sure.

I would probably start rooting for the Saints, because that's my wife's team.  And they serve gumbo in the superdome.  And it's good. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Voice_of_Reason said:

It would be really hard for me to root for the Jags because they moved here after Snyder took the team somewhere else. Maybe possible.  But I'm not sure.

I would probably start rooting for the Saints, because that's my wife's team.  And they serve gumbo in the superdome.  And it's good. 

I understand that mentality and I was there too. Even as I was apathetic I agreed with your mentality. It's the more recent misconduct that put the final nail in my fandom coffin. It's all centered around Snyder for me. If he's gone, I'm back in rooting for the team. That's why I'm fine just following football or mildly rooting for a local team that isn't the old Redskins of my youth. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

JP lives in Maryland. So he's not exactly objective in his view.  And btw, on the Redskins Talk Pod, Mitch keeps talking about tearing down Tysons Corner Mall and building a stadium there (I THINK he might have been serious the first time, but it's become a bit, that's funny but not going to happen.  But there absolutely would be land in the near-in suburbs available.  The problem is it's MASSIVELY expensive.  

And the team already alienated ~1/3 of it's fans when it moved to PG county, it made the commute from VA (where there were a lot of fans) ridiculous.

I'm a Virginian through and through.  I've never lived outside the Commonwealth.  I went to college in the Commonwealth.  

With that said:

- The ideal place for the stadium is on the RFK site. If that's not possible

- The next ideal place for the stadium is somewhere close to the river in either VA or MD.  "Close to the river" means it's somewhat centrally located, and there is probably already some infrastructure for it. Sadly, I just don't think there is room near Nats park to build another stadium.  Otherwise that would have been a good spot.  

- I would love a stadium on the VA side, but ideally not in Loudon or PW county. I don't even want to drive out there, and I live half way there.  

- That said, if it does end up in VA anywhere, and it makes it harder for MD fans to get there, then fine, it will also make it easier for VA fans to get there.  Us Virginians have had to schlep all the way to freaking RalJohn MD for the last 30 years, and it's sucked.  

I like the idea of a stadium near the MGM, the problem is there is currently no metro there.  There could be, but it's not there currently.  

Maryland fans have their own team, the Ravens. 

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

12 years isn't a generation is it?   The Colts moved in 1984 right?  They got the old Browns in 1996 and rechristened them the Ravens.

Oakland will never get a team again.   Maybe San Diego and St Louis does one day.

• Thumb down 1

12 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

12 years isn't a generation is it?   The Colts moved in 1984 right?  They got the old Browns in 1996 and rechristened them the Ravens.

Ok, a generation is typically considered 20 years.  

Still 12 years without an NFL team in this market would be an eternity. 

And I don't think there will be expansion.  I'm probably wrong about that, but I think they like 4 divisions of 4 teams in each conference.  

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I am aware of all you wrote but frankly I don't care. I want Dan gone. Whatever it takes. And if we never get a team I am to the point where no team is better than a team that's owned by Snyder. Not going to be everyone's position and I totally get that, fair enough. 

But I am that over dan snyder. **** that little puke. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Loudon is not that far. There is 66, 29, 50, 286 and Dulles Toll Road as main arteries. Not to mention metro is out that way too depending on where in VA it ends up.

People complaining about traffic need to realize not many fans attend the game anyways. It will take years before you even have to worry about a full stadium of drivers on the road + its only 8 games a year. Big whoop. 8 days of your life possibly in traffic.

Edited by dyst

I, for one, would be furious if the team that has its headquarters in Virginia put its stadium in Virginia. What an absolute travesty. If they did so, they'd lose the Maryland market to the Ravens. The Ravens winning the Super Bowl twice since our last one thirty years ago isn't what would make the difference. Our team completely sucking for the past 30 years wouldn't make the difference. Our team being owned by the worst owner in the NFL wouldn't make the difference. Denying Maryland fans the privilege of being splashed by sewage while they eat stale overpriced peanuts in their own state is where the line is drawn.

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Why cant they just do it at RFK whats the problem...

The team is looking to move to a new stadium in the near future, but their relocation from Maryland to the RFK Stadium in D.C. now hinges on the organization’s willingness to change its name, FOX 5 has confirmed. - Published July 2, 2020

So the name is changing. RFK can now be a possibility. 

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Stadium gumbo? I can't imagine that being very good. 

8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Ok, a generation is typically considered 20 years.  

Still 12 years without an NFL team in this market would be an eternity. 

And I don't think there will be expansion.  I'm probably wrong about that, but I think they like 4 divisions of 4 teams in each conference.  

They could go to 36 teams- 6 divisions with 6 teams.  Or they could expand to 40 teams, 8 divisions with 5 teams.

1 hour ago, BraveWarrior said:

Stadium gumbo? I can't imagine that being very good. 

It was outstanding.

27 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

They could go to 36 teams- 6 divisions with 6 teams.  Or they could expand to 40 teams, 8 divisions with 5 teams.

Yeah.  But I think they even realize they can’t field 32 good teams.  

At some point the product becomes so watered down it’s a different product.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2021/12/23/wft-harassment-nfl-report/

Rachel Engleson:

Growing up in Maryland, I was raised as a fan of the team now called the Washington Football Team, and my parents have pictures of me as a baby in a burgundy-and-gold onesie. We watched games at family gatherings, and I know what it’s like to have that one uncle root for the Cowboys. When I started working for the team as an intern in 2010, and then full time in 2011, it felt like a dream come true.

But my eight years working for Washington in my 20s were excruciating, full of sexual harassment and verbal abuse. I wasn’t the only one: Dozens of women who worked for the WFT came forward beginning in the summer of 2020 to tell our stories about the team’s toxic culture. The National Football League directed team owner Dan Snyder to investigate, and then the league took over. Beth Wilkinson, a respected former federal prosecutor and white-collar litigator, led the inquiry. I wound up speaking with members of her team for three hours. They seemed serious and diligent, and dedicated to uncovering any wrongdoing in the franchise.

Yet now that Wilkinson’s investigation is over, league officials have decided to protect the team and Snyder rather than release a report on what she found at the team’s headquarters. Worse, they’re claiming they’re doing it to shelter us. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in October that the league is satisfied that the WFT has been held accountable and that “steps were put in place to make sure that it does not happen again,” and that Wilkinson’s findings should be kept secret to guarantee privacy and anonymity for women like me. “We’re very conscious of making sure that we’re protecting those that came forward,” he said. “They were incredibly brave, incredibly open, and we respect the pain that they probably went through all over again to come forward.”

Yes, some of us who participated in the investigation wanted privacy. But Goodell’s claim that the NFL cannot produce a written report without jeopardizing witness confidentiality is simply incorrect. The report could omit or redact the names of witnesses and remove identifying details. The league is simply choosing not to release one.

Without seeing a report, we do not know the extent of the wrongdoing, who was responsible, and what actions Wilkinson recommended to remedy the WFT’s culture of sexual harassment. That means fans and former employees lack transparency not only about how bad the problem was but also about whether the actions the NFL has taken are enough to force change.

My story is similar to what so many other women went through while working for the team. As I told Wilkinson’s investigators, I was sexually harassed starting in my first year there. When I started I was only 22, a new graduate from the University of Maryland, working as a customer service representative. There was no way to avoid the team’s culture of rampant harassment — at FedEx Field, at the practice and office facility then known as Redskins Park, at the preseason training camp in Richmond, or at off-site gatherings such as rallies, dinners and client events. It was everywhere and anywhere there was a team executive.

At off-site events, I hid behind colleagues or strategically sat between them to try to avoid unwanted attention from team executives, who would make remarks about my appearance and outfits, comment on how I looked when I walked in heels, or plant kisses on my cheek — to start. I reported this harassment to my boss, and to other team executives and lawyers, but no one did anything to stop it. Those who tried, like Brian Lafemina, the team’s former president of business operations, were fired. Many women working for the team treated sexual harassment like a running joke or a rite of passage. In 2011, when I was under consideration for a promotion, the woman who was vacating the job told me that the man I would report to called her fat every day. She was thinner than I was. I passed up even an interview for that role.

During my tenure, the team participated in some annual league-mandated trainings about sexual harassment but brought in a third-party company for additional training only once, in 2018, at Lafemina’s request. The league-mandated meetings were geared more toward players than executives; they seemed to me to be essentially an apology tour for the NFL’s handling of abusive and reckless behavior by former players at other clubs. The lack of resources and training for employees was and is part of the larger failure to create a safe work environment, instead of the toxic and hostile environment I endured for eight years.

In July 2020, when the team’s investigation launched, I was cautiously optimistic that it might result in clear, documented steps for Snyder to change the workplace environment at his club, and steps for the NFL to take to ensure it would never happen again at any team. After meeting with Wilkinson’s investigators, I believed they genuinely wanted to uncover any and all information about the club’s culture. They made it clear that anything I spoke about would not be traced back to me, that what I said was confidential and that my name would be removed from a written report or notes from interviews. Team officials would not know who had described certain experiences or made specific comments, and that gave me confidence to be completely honest and forthcoming. I knew that some colleagues didn’t want to come forward for fear it would jeopardize their careers, because they felt intimidated by Snyder’s private investigators — or because of a general lack of confidence in the investigation since the team was paying the league back for Wilkinson’s fee, which set up a conflict of interest, or at least the appearance of one. (The concern about a conflict of interest only worsened when the NFL unanimously approved Snyder’s buyout of his minority partners’ shares, allowing him to own 100 percent of the team before the investigation was over.)

I waited months for the investigation to conclude — months of reliving trauma and having many, many tearful conversations with family and friends. Finally, the league made its decision: It was giving Snyder a pass. The team, not Snyder, was fined $10 million, which amounts to a parking ticket for an organization worth billions. Snyder stepped back from daily operations and named his wife, Tanya Snyder, as co-chief executive. Worse, there would be no written report — the league didn’t ask for one, ostensibly to protect people like me.

To endure all of this — to come forward to share a terrible experience, to seek change at a place that so desperately needs it and to have it go nowhere — left me heartbroken and discouraged. Goodell and the NFL have essentially buried more than 20 years of information, and they’ve demonstrated to survivors and women everywhere that they don’t care about us and that the harm we suffered doesn’t matter.

Publicly releasing the investigation’s findings would be a first step in regaining trust from WFT fans — showing that the league will step in when a franchise is in disarray. It would also signal that the NFL is willing to be a change agent for industry-wide standards on workplace culture and values. Releasing a written report would be just the starting point, though. The actions taken next would indicate whether the NFL can adhere to its core values: respect, integrity, responsibility to team and resiliency.

On behalf of the brave women and men who came forward to participate and spark change within the WFT and the NFL, I can say we deserve more than to be used as a PR shield to justify not releasing a formal report. It’s time for the NFL to let the world see Wilkinson’s findings and her recommendations for the future of the franchise.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

listened to Sheehan's interview just now of Rivera.  Rivera flat out was asked in a roundabout way if it was his idea or Dan's to bring the benches to Philly.  The way he answered it by basically dodging the question, made it clear to me that it was Dan.  Another beat reporter also thought it was Dan's doing and that Rivera had no idea that they'd bring them to Philly. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

listened to Sheehan's interview just now of Rivera.  Rivera flat out was asked in a roundabout way if it was his idea or Dan's to bring the benches to Philly.  The way he answered it by basically dodging the question, made it clear to me that it was Dan.  Another beat reporter also thought it was Dan's doing and that Rivera had no idea that they'd bring them to Philly. 

No surprise. It's not Rivera's style....it's totally Dan's style. 

• Like 1