Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

47 minutes ago, KDawg said:

7 front office openings in the league. If we hire a GM type I think we may have to give Smith a raise to stay here and pay him as if he’s a GM. 

Like I said get Schoen and let Kyle stay as a lead scouter with a nice raise to learn from him.  We would be prepared GM wise in the future either way then. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Like I said get Schoen and let Kyle stay as a lead scouter with a nice raise to learn from him.  We would be prepared GM wise in the future either way then. 

I’ve been saying similar. My point was you’ll have to pay Kyle a lot of money I think.

• Like 3

5. WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

Projected 2021 Cap Space: $47.2 million (5th)

Key Free Agents: RG Brandon Scherff, CB Ronald Darby, Edge Ryan Kerrigan, LB Reuben Foster

Blue-Chip Players: Edge Chase Young, WR Terry McLaurin, DI Jonathan Allen

Washington’s quick rebound after Alex Smith‘s injury left them in cap hell should be applauded. They’ve drafted very well of late and could have players on their rookie contracts, such as edge defender Montez Sweat and running back Antonio Gibson, joining that blue-chip tier soon enough. That’s why they have so much projected cap space in 2021 — and can create a lot more if they part ways with Smith — yet still made the playoffs.

The problem is that with pick No. 19 at best in 2021, Washington falls squarely in the purgatory of desperately needing a quarterback yet having a roster that’s too good to end up where you can find one in the draft. While I’m all for taking as many shots on the position as possible, picking in the teens — as they did with Dwayne Haskins — means all the quarterback talent that gets there has been thoroughly picked through.

I’d expect the team's next general manager to be a serious player in the free agent market for a quarterback.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KDawg said:

7 front office openings in the league. If we hire a GM type I think we may have to give Smith a raise to stay here and pay him as if he’s a GM. 

Has Smith been mentioned for any of the openings? I haven't seen his name yet

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

—crickets—

That silence speaks far louder than any of the leaked local articles declaring Kyle a cross between Bill Polian and Branch Ricky.

I like Smith a lot, but he might not be so assured to be ousted. He might not be ready. We shall see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Riggo#44 said:

I like Smith a lot, but he might not be so assured to be ousted. He might not be ready. We shall see.

Yes, I read somewhere that the consensus both within and outside WFTPark is that he, at a minimum, needed more seasoning before undertaking the full duties of a GM.

Still, it is illuminating that he apparently has not even been offered a courtesy “get to know you” interview.

I think we sometimes see the shadow of Sean McVay in far too many familiar faces. That sort of fear can paralyze an organization and lead to terrible insular promotion decisions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I think we sometimes see the shadow of Sean McVay in far too many familiar faces. That sort of fear can paralyze an organization and lead to terrible insular promotion decisions

The proof is in the pudding with Smith.  He has the pedigree and he’s been getting the results.  I don’t know if that makes him all that being a GM entails, but he’s done well with personnel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The proof is in the pudding with Smith.  He has the pedigree and he’s been getting the results.  I don’t know if that makes him all that being a GM entails, but he’s done well with personnel.

Personnel evaluation is the key requirement for a scout.

However, being a general manager is a position that demands far more than that. A GM needs exceptional skills including but not limited to leadership, organization, vision, and communication— specifically the ability to communicate with motivate and get along with a wide variety of people with sometimes conflicting agendas both inside the building and in other organizations.

Above all the job demands great decision making and a strategic (big picture) mindset.

We all know that Kyle can evaluate and select players. The jury is still out as to whether or not he will ever develop the essential skills necessary to be an effective general manager of a winning organization.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 4

On 1/4/2021 at 5:25 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

a specific person who's wronged people I know and love.

« Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum » Seneca.

We won't have another oportunity like that to get rid of him.  I don't trust Goodell, only the justice can do something.

Edited by FrFan
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2021 at 7:55 AM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

We will see about #3, but I hate that Snyder can now massage the numbers to claim something like "we've won 3 of the last 8 division titles in the East" to distract from his horrible leadership and predatory nature. 

If that's all it takes to distract people he deserves to stay on as owner.

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Personnel evaluation is the key requirement for a scout.

However, being a general manager is a position that demands far more than that. A GM needs exceptional skills including but not limited to leadership, organization, vision, and communication— specifically the ability to communicate with motivate and get along with a wide variety of people with sometimes conflicting agendas both inside the building and in other organizations.

Above all the job demands great decision making and a strategic (big picture) mindset.

We all know that Kyle can evaluate and select players. The jury is still out as to whether or not he will ever develop the essential skills necessary to be an effective general manager of a winning organization.

Yep. A large part of being a GM is putting out fires. However, might be kind of hard to determine if someone has the skills to successfully navigate all the other stuff you mentioned. Kinda wonder what owners look for when selecting a GM who has never been a GM before.

Edited by Califan007

On 12/28/2020 at 10:34 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wait are there people who actually think any GM hired would have the final say over Ron? That’s never happening, so flush that from your mind right now. He isn’t hiring someone over himself in the power structure after he has had 100% control from the get-go here. The best we can hope for is that it’s someone he can collaborate well with who has a lot of influence with him. This is why people didn’t like the coach-centric power structure, but for better or worse we need to hope it works. 

But just to really drive it home, I’ll repeat: there is 0% chance this GM hire is given more power than Rivera. He’s looking for someone he can work with, but will still have ultimate power. You need to come to terms with that now before the hire, for the health of your own mind and expectations. 

I know you know how much I hate saying this regarding this issue, but you’re probably right here. It’s tough to see someone conceding that power. And I’m going to forgive you for calling this “coach-centric”, because it’s not really based on those models as I’ve gotten into a bunch of times, but that’s a nitpick I won’t get into right now for the sake of your sanity. 😛 

But here’s where I’m holding out some hope and am unwilling to put it at zero percent like you are. 

The fact of the matter is that, for any legitimately qualified candidate to

accept the position here from Ron, it’s going to have to come with final say over personnel, at least over the 90 during the off-season. That’s what any of these guys worth their salt want and there’s simply way too much evidence around the league to think otherwise. 

So if we’re truly linked to guys like Schoen, I have to think Ron is willing to give that to him. I just don’t see a hot commodity like Schoen even entertaining the position here without that power.  Schoen himself knows what an actual successful “coach-centric model” looks like since he’s been with the Bills, and it’s NOT that the Coach has final say over personnel. Furthermore, we can’t forget what Ron himself said after he was fired by the Panthers and before he was hired here (bolded emphasis mine): 

"I'm gonna look at the whole picture," Rivera said. "Personnel. Am I gonna be able to get the coaching staff I want? Am I gonna get the collaboration and cooperation I'm looking for (from the general manager)? And ownership. When I get a chance to talk to these people and go through all this stuff, that's what I want to know. Location? Division? Those things don't matter to me."

Specifically, Rivera wants to be assured that he can have input on personnel decisions, though he does not expect final say over the roster. 

"I don't want personnel control," he said. "I just want to be able to pick which 46 are active for game day, and have a collaborative relationship (with a GM)-- and, if there's a conflict, be able at least to go to the owner and state my case." 

https://www.nfl.com/news/silver-ron-rivera-ready-to-roll-into-next-hc-job-0ap3000001092047

So Ron understood fully that the structure should be set up to where the personnel experts have control over their area of expertise and he has control over his.

Now, on the other hand, there’s a part of me that thinks the reason Kyle Smith isn’t getting consideration (if we are to believe the reports) has nothing to do with his inexperience or temperament as some are arguing now, but actually has to do with the fact that he wouldn’t want that title if it didn’t mean he had the autonomy he should have in that position relative to his expertise. 

We shouldn’t forget he said he wanted to be a GM even after he got promoted to his current role:

To me, that was a clear indication it wasn’t just about titles (since his current role essentially makes him head scout and some even mistakenly label it “de facto GM”), but about the desired autonomy the GM title would officially give him in a properly structured organization. 

So there’s a lot to unpack there, I know. If Kyle isn’t being considered, and I’m reading into it correctly, that would seem to indicate that Ron won’t give that power up. But if guys like Schoen are being considered, that would indicate the opposite as it's unlikely someone of his caliber would take that position without the control over personnel it should have. 

So, yeah, there is a sliver of hope here that I have and I think it’s based on some sound evidence that it’s better than a zero percent chance Ron would concede some power. 

Of course, that hope gets decimated when I see someone like Hurney or Mayhew get linked to us, as it just has the feel of hiring someone who neither seeks that power nor would anyone else want to give that power to. 

I hope Ron makes the best decision for himself and the organization, in the end. And I hope people understand that, even though there are major issues with the structure as is and it has an absolute massive rate of failure, I don’t blame Ron himself for it. This is 100% a Dan Snyder problem. All the way. Always has been. 

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, KDawg said:

I’ve been saying similar. My point was you’ll have to pay Kyle a lot of money I think.

Fine with me, there is no cap for FO.  After the type of offseasons we've had recently, they would be insane to let Kyle, or anyone with a significant contribution, walk out the door. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Califan007 said:

If that's all it takes to distract people he deserves to stay on as owner.

I don't agree. I think for 80% of the fan base, that is all it takes. They want to ignore the "noise" and follow a football team. That's not a ridiculous stance and I've been in that boat for years until this past summer. The collective fan base's willingness to overlook the off-the-field stuff doesn't give him any more right to get away with the mounting laundry list of bad things he's done. 

On 1/4/2021 at 10:55 AM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

<snip>

We will see about #3, but I hate that Snyder can now massage the numbers to claim something like "we've won 3 of the last 8 division titles in the East" to distract from his horrible leadership and predatory nature. 

Three of nine, actually.

3 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Nobody ****ing does this. Everyone knows about the sexual harassment and lawsuits. We’re just happy despite Dan.

People absolutely do this.  Dan's defense group has certainly decreased over the years, but folks still do it.  We still have people that believe a lot of this stuff is 'fake news' behind an 'agenda'.  We've made progress as a fanbase though, in that those people are less inclined to talk about it these days, but they still exist.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

People absolutely do this.  Dan's defense group has certainly decreased over the years, but folks still do it.  We still have people that believe a lot of this stuff is 'fake news' behind an 'agenda'.  We've made progress as a fanbase though, in that those people are less inclined to talk about it these days, but they still exist.

Right...that's the part I hate. If you want to follow the team despite the owner, I get it. But the folks who say "Oh here goes the WaPo again" 

I'm thinking "yeah, here they go covering a billionaire who's wronged dozens of his former employees with no repercussions!"