Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

Currently per PFF:

- Chase Young ranks 1st among rookie edge defenders

- Antonio Gibson ranks 1st among rookie running backs

- Kamren Curl ranks 1st among rookie safeties

- Khaleke Hudson is ranked 6th among rookie LBs (when ignoring minimum snap count threshold)

- James Smith-Williams ranks 7th among rookie DTs (when ignoring minimum snap count threshold)

Saahdiq Charles was injured for the whole season, Keith Ismael is stuck on the depth chart behind Roullier and AGG was injured for big parts of the season as well.

This draft class looks absolutely amazing so far. Hopefully we can keep most of our scouting department in place.

• Like 6

Former Panthers GM Marty Hurney is a candidate to return to Washington, where he began his career, and reunite with coach Ron Rivera, sources said. Former Panthers exec Ryan Cowden, now with the Titans, and former Lions GM Martin Mayhew, now an exec with the 49ers, are also expected to merit consideration for the WFT's restructured front office. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-general-manager-search-carolina-to-consider-a-multitude-of-executives-cast-a-wide-net/

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Former Panthers GM Marty Hurney is a candidate to return to Washington, where he began his career, and reunite with coach Ron Rivera, sources said. Former Panthers exec Ryan Cowden, now with the Titans, and former Lions GM Martin Mayhew, now an exec with the 49ers, are also expected to merit consideration for the WFT's restructured front office. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-general-manager-search-carolina-to-consider-a-multitude-of-executives-cast-a-wide-net/

Nooo.  Stop linking us to crappy FOs.  If we’re going outside take Schoen from Buffalo.  Why would we want Panther and Lion FO? 

9 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

You can’t make a lateral hire in the NFL unless the team allows you to. The Seahawks won’t let their prized GM go.

According to the article, Schneider doesn’t technically have final say on the roster, Carroll does.  So, it doesn’t sound like Seattle can formally block a promotion. 

This leak has probably been floated by Schneider’s agent for his internal contract extension talks.  Doubt he’ll actually leave.  But you never know. 

39 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

You can’t make a lateral hire in the NFL unless the team allows you to. The Seahawks won’t let their prized GM go.

The NFL will review the proposed contract from the Lions and if it contains language indicating he'd have greater authority, autonomy, and responsibility, then the league will deem it a promotion. They'd probably give him a new title, sort of like the whole "Assistant head coach - defense" loophole we popularized at the start of the Gibbs II era.

Edited by BurgundyBooger

Washington Football Team (GM): Washington can win the NFC East by beating the Eagles on Sunday night, and coach Ron Rivera has said the GM search will wait until after the season. The strong sense in league circles is former Panthers GM Marty Hurney -- who was fired last month and remains tight with Rivera from their days in Carolina -- is a top candidate. Other names expected to be considered including Titans VP of player personnel Ryan Cowden, 49ers senior personnel executive Martin Mayhew, Buffalo's Joe Schoen and Rick Smith. If Kyle Smith -- the top personnel man since Bruce Allen's departure -- heads elsewhere, Washington could add another veteran personnel man such as Jimmy Raye III.

https://www.nfl.com/news/a-look-at-all-ongoing-head-coach-and-gm-searches

3 hours ago, Panninho said:

Currently per PFF:

- Chase Young ranks 1st among rookie edge defenders

- Antonio Gibson ranks 1st among rookie running backs

- Kamren Curl ranks 1st among rookie safeties

- Khaleke Hudson is ranked 6th among rookie LBs (when ignoring minimum snap count threshold)

- James Smith-Williams ranks 7th among rookie DTs (when ignoring minimum snap count threshold)

Saahdiq Charles was injured for the whole season, Keith Ismael is stuck on the depth chart behind Roullier and AGG was injured for big parts of the season as well.

This draft class looks absolutely amazing so far. Hopefully we can keep most of our scouting department in place.

This is what is so upsetting about the reports that there will be changes.   The last 2 drafts were as good as we can expect, even with the owner f'ing up the first round pick. We finally have good talent evaluators making good decisions and they are looking to change things?  That sucks. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I stopped reading at "By Jason La Canfora"

1 minute ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is what is so upsetting about the reports that there will be changes.

Reports are just that. Nothing has happened yet. Besides its JLC driving most of these reports.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Nooo.  Stop linking us to crappy FOs.  If we’re going outside take Schoen from Buffalo.  Why would we want Panther and Lion FO? 

They just can't help hiring their buddies eventhough more qualified people are available. Cronyism is very powerful in the NFL

Rivera was fired by the Panthers last year after we played them, now Hurney a week before🤔

Kyle Smith !!!!

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I stopped reading at "By Jason La Canfora"

Reports are just that. Nothing has happened yet. Besides its JLC driving most of these reports.

No I've heard it from others. One radio guy pointed out how RR rarely praises Kyle, never even references him much at all.  Seems to give the impression there may be a disconnect or something.  

I hope you are right, the dumbest thing this team could do is break up a group that is actually doing a good job.  That's a change around here.  

• Like 1

I don’t see Ron as the type to be speaking off the record about who’s he going to choose as GM during the season/playoff run.

I think a lot of this stuff is speculation and people connecting dots to familiar names to Ron. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

No I've heard it from others. One radio guy pointed out how RR rarely praises Kyle, never even references him much at all.  Seems to give the impression there may be a disconnect or something.  

I hope you are right, the dumbest thing this team could do is break up a group that is actually doing a good job.  That's a change around here.  

Chris Russell? I've heard that too--it's really reading into it when there is nothing there. He's Rivera has complimented the communication and everyone being on the same page many times this season.

2 hours ago, Andre The Giant said:

Washington Football Team (GM): Washington can win the NFC East by beating the Eagles on Sunday night, and coach Ron Rivera has said the GM search will wait until after the season. The strong sense in league circles is former Panthers GM Marty Hurney -- who was fired last month and remains tight with Rivera from their days in Carolina -- is a top candidate. Other names expected to be considered including Titans VP of player personnel Ryan Cowden, 49ers senior personnel executive Martin Mayhew, Buffalo's Joe Schoen and Rick Smith. If Kyle Smith -- the top personnel man since Bruce Allen's departure -- heads elsewhere, Washington could add another veteran personnel man such as Jimmy Raye III.

https://www.nfl.com/news/a-look-at-all-ongoing-head-coach-and-gm-searches

Ugh look at Jimmy Raye III’s track record. It blows. Best run he had was with Kyle’s dad in SD

30 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Chris Russell? I've heard that too--it's really reading into it when there is nothing there. He's Rivera has complimented the communication and everyone being on the same page many times this season.

No it wasn't Russel, I can't remember who it was but whoever was working with him agreed about never hearing Ron reference Kyle which IMO is a bit telling. 

5 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

No it wasn't Russel, I can't remember who it was but whoever was working with him agreed about never hearing Ron reference Kyle which IMO is a bit telling. 

I guess we'll see--it's possible they move on from Smith, I highly doubt it though. It's also possible this is all speculative bull****. This 24-hr news cycle loves to parrot a "report" that may or may not be substantiated, as fact. We will see.

I kind of liken Kyle Smith to Sean McVay. We'll regret letting him go if we do let him go. Many didn't think Sean had enough experience, but obviously he did. You don't let that kind of talent out of the building. Maybe a good compromise would be give him some more power and mentor under someone like Hurney for a year if Ron is desperate to get him here. 

I mentioned last week that I didn't want the team to win the division. Nothing against the players or coaches, but all this does is allow Snyder to print the t-shirts and claim "culture change" for a couple years. His 3 division titles have shared 3 characteristics...

1) Down year for the division

2) Require a fortunate second-half surge (started 3-6 in 2012, started 5-7 in 2015, and started 2-7 in 2020)

3) Generally mark the high-water mark of the coach's tenure

We will see about #3, but I hate that Snyder can now massage the numbers to claim something like "we've won 3 of the last 8 division titles in the East" to distract from his horrible leadership and predatory nature. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I mentioned last week that I didn't want the team to win the division. Nothing against the players or coaches, but all this does is allow Snyder to print the t-shirts and claim "culture change" for a couple years. His 3 division titles have shared 3 characteristics...

1) Down year for the division

2) Require a fortunate second-half surge (started 3-6 in 2012, started 5-7 in 2015, and started 2-7 in 2020)

3) Generally mark the high-water mark of the coach's tenure

We will see about #3, but I hate that Snyder can now massage the numbers to claim something like "we've won 3 of the last 8 division titles in the East" to distract from his horrible leadership and predatory nature. 

Are you this miserable in real life 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3