Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

9 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

"Owner Dan Snyder also thinks very highly of....."

You beat me to it. Exactly what I don't want to hear and totally opposite to the "new culture"

Let coach Rivera do his job on his own !

Edited by FrFan

Ron Rivera deserves a ton of credit. And to show that, I thought it was worth putting in perspective what Rivera was saddled with in his first year as Washington’s head coach.

• Being front man for a process of renaming the team that was, at times, pretty sloppy, through no fault of Rivera’s. The name—removed after being deemed a racial slur, amid our nation’s social reckoning—had been with the team for 87 seasons.

• Serving as the face of the franchise through a slew of Washington Post reports that first painted the team’s workplace as highly toxic toward women, then implicated owner Dan Snyder directly. Snyder didn’t speak publicly on the matter, leaving Rivera in the weird position of having to answer for some pretty horrific things that predated his arrival in D.C.

Contracting squamous cell cancer in August. Rivera had to manage it throughout the year. Early on, that meant taking an IV at halftime of games. Later in the season, he told me he still needed to take naps before night games to conserve energy. He wound up coaching all 16 games, plus Saturday’s playoff game.

• Guiding the team through a tumultuous quarterback situation, that went from former first-round pick Dwayne Haskins starring on opening day, to Haskins’s benching a month later, to Kyle Allen going in and getting hurt, to Alex Smith’s miraculous return to the starting lineup, to Smith getting hurt again, to Haskins reentering the lineup, to Haskins blowing that chance both on and off the field, to Haskins being cut, to Smith going back in and getting hurt again, to Taylor Heinecke being the guy on Saturday … I think that covers it.

Add all of that together—and yes, I know that winning the NFC East this year was like being the tallest gymnast—and the fact that Rivera got the team to 7–9, and into the playoffs, is pretty incredible. We’ll see what happens with ownership. But between Rivera and new team president Jason Wright, there’s plenty of reason for people in Washington to be optimistic on the future.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/01/11/mmqb-wild-card-weekend-lamar-jackson-wins-cleveland-browns-overcome

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FrFan said:

You beat me to it. Exactly what I don't want to hear and totally opposite to the "new culture"

Let coach Rivera do his job on his own !

Which is why it's lazy "reporting" by JLC--which is pretty standard for him. He's a major poo-flinger.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2021/jan/10/ron-rivera-has-call-shots-washington/

LOVERRO: The trick will be whether Rivera can call the shots again in his second year

Their team appears to be in the hands of adult professional football coaches. Heinicke’s surprising performance — 26 of 44 (with numerous drops by Washington receivers) for 306 yards, one touchdown and one tipped interception, plus 46 yards rushing, including a touchdown scramble that apparently has taken its place alongside John Riggins’ Super Bowl score — says more about Rivera and his coaching staff and how they prepared this journeyman to face Tom Brady and the Bucs than it does about Heinicke.

And what of Bluto Snyder, the Washington owner? Any other friends and family he wants to consult for a new Washington quarterback? What was Dwayne Haskins thinking, watching Heinicke run the offense like a guy who showed up at their headquarters at sunrise for film work?

The good feelings surrounding the loss may be attributed to the sense of calm Rivera brings to the team, a rare commodity amid the aura of self-destruction that has dogged the franichise undeer Snyder. Despite his very personal battle with cancer, the shortened preseason work time and the COVID-19 fears, Rivera never lost control of this team. For the most part, that showed in their play this season, So it would seem that the franchise is going in the right direction, correct?

Stop. We’ve been here before — the highly-regarded coach turning the culture around.

After the 2010 season, two-time Super Bowl winning coach Mike Shanahan took over a 4-12 team and led them to a 6-10 record in his first season — one short of what Rivera accomplished in his initial year and with no NFC East title to show for it. It should be noted that both Dallas and Philadelphia won 10 games that season.

But Shanahan’s first coaching season may have been more impressive than Rivera‘s. He did his miravle work with far less talent.

Shanahan took over a team that had just two home-grown first-round picks on the roster — Carlos Rogers and LaRon Landry — adding a third, Trent Williams, in his first draft.

Rivera inherited a 3-13 roster with six first-rounders, all Washington picks. He added a seventh with Chase Young.

Shanahan’s 6-10 mark included nine games where his defense gave up just 17 points or less. Rivera’s 2020 squad, with its 7-9 record and a celebrated defense, had seven games where they surrendered 17 points or less.

So what, you say? For those who want to give Heinicke Haskins’ old No. 7 jersey already, Shanahan went into his next season with Rex Grossman, who had played in Super Bowl with the Chicago Bears — a far more accomplished quarterback than Heinicke.

He finished 5-11, and well, you know the rest of the story. Bluto started a food fight in the building, and it all went to hell.

I don't think it's about whether Rivera 'can' call the shots.  Just like I don't think it was about whether Mike could call the shots.  They have the power.  Technically, they 'can' do whatever they want.

The problem is, whether you have all the power or not, you've got this owner you're employed by, buddying up to you, desperately wanting to be a part of the big moves.  You have to be a master at managing and massaging the owner to be able to diplomatically tell them to keep their hands off, without ruining the relationship.  It's a tough spot to be in, whether you have 'control' or not.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't think it's about whether Rivera 'can' call the shots.  Just like I don't think it was about whether Mike could call the shots.  They have the power.  Technically, they 'can' do whatever they want.

The problem is, whether you have all the power or not, you've got this owner you're employed by, buddying up to you, desperately wanting to be a part of the big moves.  You have to be a master at managing and massaging the owner to be able to diplomatically tell them to keep their hands off, without ruining the relationship.  It's a tough spot to be in, whether you have 'control' or not.

But the power they're given can be fleeting. I could tomorrow tell someone who works for me that he's in charge of his project and has no one to answer to. The very next day I can tell him that I'm taking over those responsibilities. So, unless there's something in Ron's contract that says he has no accountability to his employer, the "power" you mention is simply on-paper and/or optics. 

I have no doubt in my mind that Dan Snyder INTENDED to turn football operations over to Marty, Gibbs, Shanahan, and now Rivera (I don't think he planned to with Spurrier, Zorn, or Gruden). And, in each of those circumstances (maybe not Gibbs...I don't know), he took back that authority when he disagreed or wasn't enjoying it. Therefore, I don't care who works under this owner, any proper chain of command or stability in the front office is temporary. 

• Like 2

Listening to Philly sports talk shows about the firing of Doug Petersen by the Eagles.  Reminds me of when we finally got rid of Gruden and Allen survived as General Manager.

Howie Roseman their General Manager is a clone of Allen and he is a terrible draft person so this is great for the Redskins.  Eagles have aging veterans and they are in cap hell.

So glad that our team is no longer so dysfunctional.  Now its the Eagles turn to suffer with a meddling owner and a pathetic General Manager.  A few years ago, Eagle fans made

fun of the Redskins and now karma has bit them in the butt.  So Eagles fans are upset and no longer laughing at our team.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

Listening to Philly sports talk shows about the firing of Doug Petersen by the Eagles.  Reminds me of when we finally got rid of Gruden and Allen survived as General Manager.

Howie Roseman their General Manager is a clone of Allen and he is a terrible draft person so this is great for the Redskins.  Eagles have aging veterans and they are in cap hell.

So glad that our team is no longer so dysfunctional.  Now its the Eagles turn to suffer with a meddling owner and a pathetic General Manager.  A few years ago, Eagle fans made

fun of the Redskins and now karma has bit them in the butt.  So Eagles fans are upset and no longer laughing at our team.

Well, they might be in a similar boat, but the Redskins aren't exactly a beacon of stability. The owner is a trainwreck and could be sued any day now. The new coach seems fine, but let's not overreact to winning 40% of their games. Yes, the defense seems solid and the team is young, but there's no guarantee that they will be any better than the Eagles next season. 

This 2020 flare-up was right in-line with what this organization has done every 3-4 years since Snyder took over the team in 1999. They generally have that one season when a mediocre season (7-9 to 10-6) overlaps with a down year in the East and they lose a playoff game. It happened in 2007, 2012, 2015, and again now in 2020. I think it certainly remains to be seen if this is ANY different than any of those seasons. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

Well, they might be in a similar boat, but the Redskins aren't exactly a beacon of stability. The owner is a trainwreck and could be sued any day now. The new coach seems fine, but let's not overreact to winning 40% of their games. Yes, the defense seems solid and the team is young, but there's no guarantee that they will be any better than the Eagles next season.

No kidding. I agree that the Eagles have cap issues right now, but I've been on the board 20 years and remember the countless times people have said "(insert NFC East team) is going to be in a world of hurt and the Skins are gonna dominate!!"  We probably had this conversation in 2015 after the Skins beat the Eagles to win the division and Philly fired Chip Kelly. Two seasons later, they are hoisting the Lombardi............

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I don't know anything about Cowden but the Titans are a pretty well run franchise built largely through the draft. They also hit a HR snagging Tannehill for peanuts in FA.

Ditto with me but I've noticed Cowden and Schoen are the rock star type of names (at least according to the national media) among the ones potentially linked to Rivera. 

Nobody in the entire league is interviewing bums like Hurney, McKenzie, or Mayhew for their numerous open GM positions, as teams jockey for talent and vision at that spot. If we bring ANY of those guys in I will begin to lose some faith in Rivera for the first time.

Lets hope that’s just JLC throwing familiar names against the wall hoping they stick. 

I know nothing about Cowden but hope he doesn’t fall into this category too. Maybe he’s like Schoen. That’s the guy I have my eyes on. But hopefully Cowden is seen as a stud candidate as the #2 to Jon Robinson. I just suspiciously haven’t seen him linked to any other interviews with open GM spots, unless I missed it. Being a former member of the Gettleman tree is not inspiring, but Jon Robinson is damn good so who knows. 

If we interview merely ONE GM candidate Rivera is comfortable with from his time in CAR and then hire him it’ll also be a turnoff, a real good ol’ boys hire potentially, as the actual hot names for the position make the rounds around the league without a peep from us. Again, unless I’m mistaken and Cowden is actually a great and sought-after hire, I could be out of the loop on him.

I will say that we’ve always wanted to  be one of those smart organizations who steals away the #2 guy from a team’s FO that knows how to build a young stud roster. And this would qualify. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26