Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

3 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Maybe.

But why whine about being extorted?  

When your friends and business partners try to extort you ...

I was going to say something smug such as "judge a man by the company he keeps", but then I remembered that I hang out in the Tailgate.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 3

Future NFL GMs: Our Annual List of Names to Watch

Albert Breer's 12th annual list includes scouts, personnel experts, assistants, former GMs, cap wizards and rising names to watch. 

Ryan Cowden, Titans VP of player personnel: Cowden’s been GM Jon Robinson’s top lieutenant for five years—and Tennessee’s going to finish this year with its fourth winning season in that stretch, and is very much ascending. He’s now got those five years of in-the-office experience, and was a road scout in Carolina before then. The expectation is he’ll be a very real candidate for the Washington GM job, given his five years of experience having worked with Ron Rivera with the Panthers.

Joe Schoen, Bills assistant GM: You’ll be hearing more on Schoen. He and director of player personnel Dan Morgan have been integral to how GM Brandon Beane and coach Sean McDermott have built the Bills and, for his part, Schoen made his mark as a communicator and with his experience on the college side. Expect Washington to be in on Schoen. Beane and Rivera know each other well, and Schoen has a Carolina background having started with the Panthers before Rivera was there. Beane will give him a strong recommendation.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/24/gameplan-annual-future-general-manager-list

• Like 5

9 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Anyone heard from or seen Doug Williams lately?  He's on the payroll, what is he doing?

Not at all.  As expected though, seems like they did him a solid in keeping him employed but out of personnel decisions.  That said, Doug tried to tell us diplomatically on numerous occasions what we were dealing with in Haskins, and I’ll be damned if he wasn’t right.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Destino said:

yRP0Zij.jpg

The Football Team (or Club, I’m not picking sides) is on the front page of CNN.com!  We’re famous!  

Merry Christmas everyone. It's Christmas morning and Santa Snyder has brought us yet another ****show for a present, this time as a headliner on CNN. At least he can't keep saying that his problems with the press are because the Washington Post has it in for him.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, SonnySideUp said:

Merry Christmas everyone. It's Christmas morning and Santa Snyder has brought us yet another ****show for a present, this time as a headliner on CNN. At least he can't keep saying that his problems with the press are because the Washington Post has it in for him.

Actually,  this is terrific Christmas present from the jolly old fat man. The more attention this circus gets, the more it applies pressure to the NFL. The little **** stain continues his sue happy spree which brings with it headlines (the dumbass hasn't quite figured this out). In his desperate attempts to paint himself a victim,  he is simply bringing more attention to the story.

I'm loving this Christmas. Hopefully,  the NFL has grown tired of this asshole's antics and rides us of this parasite and we'll all remember this Christmas fondly.

Merry Christmas to you all and stay safe out there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

DId I miss something ?

Why isn't Kyle Smith even in this conversation ?

Good, keep him out.  

It's obvious he's not in the running to be GM here yet.  But if he's here to do player scouting and evaluation for the draft, that's fantastic.  I'm sure people around the league know about him, there aren't any secrets anymore.  But I don't want any momentum behind that dudes name to lure him away.

With this team GM could mean anything. Maybe it’s just a guy who handles the money aspect of things or a dude that sits in all the meetings and has knowledge of everything to be the single point of contact for Snyder while Kyle continues to handle all the player personnel moves.

13 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Giants are another  example of FA can work if done right.  Their defense was atocious last year, now its good.  Martinez, Ryan and Bradberry made a big difference. 

Is this a comp for Darby’s contract? Ryan is a slot corner, which has less value, but he has been a better and more consistent player than Darby has been

I want Schoen but he will be in high demand as he is well respected around the league.

We may have an in with his familiarity and respect for Rivera but is Ron willing to give up control of who we select in the draft and free agency? Other teams will be offering him full control. To compete we may well need to do the same.

Also does the uncertainty caused by the minority ownership fight and the ongoing investigation of Snyder by the league make us a less than desirable destination even with Rivera present?

That said I would move heaven and earth to get Schoen or someone with his credentials to run the front office. Rivera needs to focus on coaching-  that is his area of expertise. We need someone equally adept in running an organization to work alongside of him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Good, keep him out.  

It's obvious he's not in the running to be GM here yet.  But if he's here to do player scouting and evaluation for the draft, that's fantastic.  I'm sure people around the league know about him, there aren't any secrets anymore.  But I don't want any momentum behind that dudes name to lure him away.

When and why did you sour on Kyle ?

13 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

DId I miss something ?

Why isn't Kyle Smith even in this conversation ?

Good question.

From what I’ve pieced together my hypothesis is that for some reason Rivera  is just not totally comfortable with him as a manager/leader/organizer but he does respect his focus, work ethic and ability as a scout and talent evaluator. 

In other words he’s exceptionally well suited for the position he has but in Rivera’s pov he would have difficulty succeeding on the next rung of the ladder should he be promoted to GM.

In business we used to call that quandary “the peter principle”(for those unfamiliar google it). The big mistake would be to promote him from a position where he’s successful to one where he is likely to fail.

Average and mediocre organizations do this all the time— sometimes out of a misplaced sense of loyalty. Their productivity and even solvency can suffer as a result.

Great organizations have the will and tenacity to trust their personnel evaluations and make the hard decision not to promote someone who they think will fail. Even if doing so means they may lose them to another organization. In the long run they are better served by being mercenary and unsympathetic.

The key is having someone (in this case Rivera) who is capable of accurately evaluating their employees (Kyle Smith) potential. This is a highly prized master skill of the rarest sort.

Only time will tell if Rivera’s evaluation of Kyle Smith’s potential is correct or not.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I want Schoen but he will be in high demand as he is well respected around the league.

We may have an in with his familiarity and respect for Rivera but is Ron willing to give up control of who we select in the draft and free agency? Other teams will be offering him full control. To compete we may well need to do the same.

Also does the uncertainty caused by the minority ownership fight and the ongoing investigation of Snyder by the league make us a less than desirable destination even with Rivera present?

That said I would move heaven and earth to get Schoen or someone with his credentials to run the front office. Rivera needs to focus on coaching-  that is his area of expertise. We need someone equally adept in running an organization to work alongside of him.

Ron is close with the Bills FO. That gives us an advantage off the bat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I agree. I think we may do that anyway, but it depends if Smith can hold up one more year and/or we trust Allen to be that placeholder for half a season or so.

I think at this point counting on Alex for anything beyond a four to six game stretch as a solid stopgap until your starting qb is healthy would be foolhardy. He may be able to do more than that but I wouldn’t go into a season expecting it. 

He has done miracles with his body but at some point we are all subject to the limits of human frailty.