Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

12 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's a very good point. 

I understand how the world works and we all have bosses who sign our paychecks. But one thing that hasn't sat well with me is all the praise that the "new regime" is getting. They are still working for a despicable man who has all these allegations against him. Again, I don't put anything on Jason Wright or Julie Donaldson...take the jobs and make your money. But the over-the-top "finally!!!" reactions from the fan base are a little much. We can guess why these individuals were hired...in addition, we have to continue to realize they report to the man who is the single biggest issue with the culture. They have a lot of work to do in order to show that they aren't just the latest human shields who are happy to accept large sums of money to protect Snyder. 

Again, don't misread this...I don't expect Wright to speak out against his boss. I just can't really trust that anything will change while he's employed by Snyder. 

Now, give me this new group with a new owner and I'm back in with 3 feet (I'll find another). 

I understand your point and your stance--Snyder is a ****ing degenerate, soulless scumbag. He is the stereotypical billionaire that everyone pretty much hates.

I think it's fair to say that anyone with an ounce of sense or common decency ****ing hates Dan Snyder. Except maybe Tanya...and even she's on the fence.

However, it's unfair to Donaldson and Wright to vilify them. It's guilt by association. In my estimation, they've done a fine job--Wright especially. I've been very impressed by him. And yes, they were probably hired in a PR move as well. I am 100% certain the League heavily, heavily influenced the Wright hire. But again, I think they should be judged on their merits, not on who hired them. I've worked for great people and I've worked for complete assholes. It doesn't change who I am...which, really, is kind of an asshole too.

11 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I saw it as he's getting bombarded with negative comments about the name on twitter based off of "team sources" stuff, so it's not like he's doing a redirect when fans are bringing up their disapproval directly to him and the team. He decided to remind everyone that team sources have been talking directly to the fans about the process so there's no need to get caught up with anyone else's tweets that may contradict what he and others have been saying. I don't know what he could say about things that happened in 2009, and player personnel issues like Haskins should always be handled by Rivera.

Yes, I acknowledged that he can only handle the things he has dominion over and that he’s just doing his job. Just saying that it’s epically bad timing.

9 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Yes, I acknowledged that he can only handle the things he has dominion over and that he’s just doing his job. Just saying that it’s epically bad timing.

The owner deserves to be removed from his position, and probably criminally prosecuted--so that's a reason to not address anything else?

• Like 1

Re the name, I believe Wright is on record saying they will consider keeping the WFT name as a choice in this process. As for WFC, that seems logical to consider, too, if they go that direction.

One factor in this is that the NFL has marketing input on everything, so it's not as simple as Snyder pondering the choice over a glass of Crown Royal.

That said, would it shock me if Snyder undercuts his own staff? Are you kidding?!?!? 😄

Edited by profusion

28 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

However, it's unfair to Donaldson and Wright to vilify them. It's guilt by association. In my estimation, they've done a fine job--Wright especially. I've been very impressed by him. And yes, they were probably hired in a PR move as well. I am 100% certain the League heavily, heavily influenced the Wright hire. But again, I think they should be judged on their merits, not on who hired them. I've worked for great people and I've worked for complete assholes. It doesn't change who I am...which, really, is kind of an asshole too.

That's why I'm trying not to vilify them. I guess I just take it all with a grain of salt because, at this point with Dan Snyder, you know what you're getting when you sign up to work for him. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The owner deserves to be removed from his position, and probably criminally prosecuted--so that's a reason to not address anything else?

It makes addressing anything else in this moment a bad look, whether it needs to be done or not. Obviously that’s not fair, but that was my point.

Wright has been a breath of fresh air and it’s not his fault all this stuff is going down. But seeing as people are already bashing Snyder for a very opportunely timed name issue leak when he’d like literally anything else in the news, the fact that his employee then “has to” respond to the fan fervor can look like just more smoke and mirrors. Again, not Wright’s fault but that’s what happens when you get a job down at the local viper pit. 

Separate point, but it baffles me how anyone can even care about the name right now with the Snyder stuff popping off. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's why I'm trying not to vilify them. I guess I just take it all with a grain of salt because, at this point with Dan Snyder, you know what you're getting when you sign up to work for him. 

I keep thinking about the dual press releases back when the 1st post story dropped about the sexual harassament. Snyder's "personal" statement basically blamed the victims and then the team released an "ummm, actually, this is our response." Makes me wonder how connect Snyder is right now? 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It makes addressing anything else in this moment a bad look, whether it needs to be done or not. Obviously that’s not fair, but that was my point.

Completely disagree. He still has a job to do and what's going on with Snyder is a separate issue. Wright not addressing it is not doing his job. 

5 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Separate point, but it baffles me how anyone can even care about the name right now with the Snyder stuff popping off. 

I find it baffling how people cannot separate Snyder from other, legitimate issues going on with the team and the organization.

1 hour ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's a very good point. 

I understand how the world works and we all have bosses who sign our paychecks. But one thing that hasn't sat well with me is all the praise that the "new regime" is getting. They are still working for a despicable man who has all these allegations against him. Again, I don't put anything on Jason Wright or Julie Donaldson...take the jobs and make your money. But the over-the-top "finally!!!" reactions from the fan base are a little much. We can guess why these individuals were hired...in addition, we have to continue to realize they report to the man who is the single biggest issue with the culture. They have a lot of work to do in order to show that they aren't just the latest human shields who are happy to accept large sums of money to protect Snyder. 

Again, don't misread this...I don't expect Wright to speak out against his boss. I just can't really trust that anything will change while he's employed by Snyder. 

Now, give me this new group with a new owner and I'm back in with 3 feet (I'll find another). 

1000%.  I feel every bit of this.  Even with all the changes this year and pushing for a playoff berth, I've barely cared.  The Skins game goes on my laptop, sound off, while I watch Red Zone or whatever good game is on.  Its an unfathomable development for me.

I want to care again.  I want to be a true fan again.  I want to love them again.  Snyder's shadow is just too big.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

1000%.  I feel every bit of this.  Even with all the changes this year and pushing for a playoff berth, I've barely cared.  The Skins game goes on my laptop, sound off, while I watch Red Zone or whatever good game is on.  Its an unfathomable development for me.

I want to care again.  I want to be a true fan again.  I want to love them again.  Snyder's shadow is just too big.  

The reality is the team still isn't very good. We are under .500, with a cake schedule, and in a craptastic division. We are improving, yes--beating the Steelers and battling the Seahawks with several key starters out, is a sign of an upward trend--but we still have gaping holes and are mediocre at best. If we were 10-4, in a competitive division, with a 25-yr old QB, the feeling would be entirely different.

25 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

It IS possible to care about more than one thing at once......... just because people care about the name, doesn’t mean they don’t ALSO care about the **** with Snyder. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 12:56 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Hopefully the NFL Donald Sterlings his ass. 

Liz Clarke spoke to this today on kornheisers podcast

she firmly believes, based on the info she has access to, that the nfl did not force sterling out. Sterling was already on the path to selling the team, the penalties from the league just forced him to expedite the process. 

edit: I’m a dumb dumb sterling was the nba owner. I was thinking of the panthers owner. 

🤷‍♂️ Just sharing. She seems to be on point more often than not. 

Also, side note, my offer to be a lifetime Washington post subscriber if they ultimately force snyder out is still a valid offer. :)

Edited by tshile
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Damn...this is me also. I've been loyal through dozens of Snyder moments, but the news this summer was just too much. It also happens to hit pretty close to home, which admittedly is probably a reason it's tougher for me to say "oh well, but the team ON THE FIELD..."

But I haven't "tuned in" for a single game yet. I've watched Red Zone and I've followed whatever players I need for Fan Duel. I will check in on the status of the Skins games much more often than I would any other game. But, I've also felt something confusing...when bad things have happened (and let's be honest, despite the last month of solid play the season has still had more bad than good events) I find myself oddly satisfied. Some of it isn't controllable...but some of it is also the idea that I don't want some mild amount of success to overshadow what the owner has done. 

I am really hoping that I can dive back in...but it's going to take this man not being at the top of my team's org chart for that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Completely disagree. He still has a job to do and what's going on with Snyder is a separate issue. Wright not addressing it is not doing his job. 

Read my post again. I broke it down pretty clearly bc I thought I wasn’t communicating what I was trying to say very well, but it’s starting to look like you’re just skimming quickly so you can make your next pre-determined post—or you are exhibiting poor reading comprehension. 

I agree with what you posted above 100%, which makes it tough for you to “completely disagree”. He is simply doing his job, and handling what is under his authority. I simply said that it sucks for him that in this organization, doing his job right now could make it look to some like he’s assisting the scumbag owner in a smoke and mirrors campaign to distract from the bigger issues around the team—because the reality is that he HAS to respond to the rumors that were quite obviously leaked in order to distract from the Snyder stories. It’s not his fault but it’s a bad look. 

Conveniently you edited the meat of my post out of your reply, the part that addressed this. That’s fine to save space on the page, I don’t mind my posts being cut up for ease of communication—but ideally the other poster demonstrates that they’ve read what they’re editing out before they do so. 

I find it baffling how people cannot separate Snyder from other, legitimate issues going on with the team and the organization.

There is no separating Snyder from anything happening in this organization. I can be hopeful about young talent (as an example) and experience any other fan emotion on the spectrum—including about the team name—but none of it matters until we’re 100% sure whether ownership could potentially change or not. The name issue especially doesn’t matter until we know for sure if this is blowing up big enough to actually hurt Snyder. That’s all I meant. It’s like worrying what color to paint the shutters on the house when the foundation cracked after the first frost. We’re capable of having both things in our heads of course, but damn. One doesn’t really matter right now. @Cooleyfan1993this answers your post as well, hopefully. This is what I meant. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

The reality is the team still isn't very good. We are under .500, with a cake schedule, and in a craptastic division. We are improving, yes--beating the Steelers and battling the Seahawks with several key starters out, is a sign of an upward trend--but we still have gaping holes and are mediocre at best. If we were 10-4, in a competitive division, with a 25-yr old QB, the feeling would be entirely different.

That's my fear. The Redskins are a part of my history. I want to be able to love them. 

I'm worried that we have a small window of opportunity for people to continue to focus on what's important (Snyder's awful ownership) before most will be distracted by a competitive and improving team. Because, although the legal process wouldn't care if they were 16-0 or 0-16, I think public backlash is a big piece of this. Just like with the name change, if there's a groundswell of opposition, people might cave. 

If Snyder survives the latest series of allegations and maintains control of the team despite the sexual harassment, the cheerleader videos, the sexual misconduct, etc. then he isn't going anywhere for a while. In that case, many will just re-focus on football. But there will be a group of fans who never come back.

38 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Ron has done it w/ a **** sandwich, Stefanski is working w/ the first pick in the draft.  Ron has done more with less, while fighting through Cancer treatments. May be one of his finest years of work as a coach 

I think most people will think that fixing Mayfield and taking the cursed Browns to the playoffs (and maybe a division title) is more impressive than winning the terrible NFC East with a losing record. 

57 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Ron has done it w/ a **** sandwich, Stefanski is working w/ the first pick in the draft.  Ron has done more with less, while fighting through Cancer treatments. May be one of his finest years of work as a coach 

17 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I think most people will think that fixing Mayfield and taking the cursed Browns to the playoffs (and maybe a division title) is more impressive than winning the terrible NFC East with a losing record. 

Both coaches had extremely impressive turnarounds this year.  One did it with cancer.  

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Thats true and I'm definitely conscious of us having no actual chance of a deep playoff run, so maybe that's part of it.  Between that, losing the name and emblem, and Snyder being exposed as a scumbag (shocker) I just haven't cared. 

Hope it comes back.  Spent 35 years looking forward to games all week and hanging on every snap from the edge of my seat.  Sucks.

1 minute ago, tshile said:

@PleaseBlitz

sorry I confused the nba owner sterling with the panthers owner. My bad. 

No worries, I catch your meaning now.  I don't think the owners will try to get rid of Snyder over him being a sexual harasser.  I think there is a 50% chance that they will try to get rid of Snyder over him being an asshole that gives them headaches and a terrible owner who is costing them money by ruining a franchise in a great market, and will use the sexual harassment stuff as an excuse so they can have a nice PR thing and act like they aren't ****ing crooked. 

• Like 4

Daniel Snyder’s stewardship of a franchise that was once an NFL pillar long ago devolved from being open to criticism to requiring ridicule. Now, he is being revealed not just as the head creep who oversaw and allowed a corporate culture that degraded and devalued women, but an active participant who paid off an accuser to make his problems go away.

There is a temptation, given everything surrounding Snyder’s $1.6 million payment to a former team employee following what others describe in court documents as “a serious accusation of sexual misconduct,” to read between the lines in The Washington Post’s story that uncovered the whopping dollar amount. The possibilities — will he have to sell the team? — are endless.

But it’s more instructive to concentrate on what we do know than what we might wonder. And what we know is a lot.

We know a sitting NFL owner paid a seven-figure settlement to a female employee. That’s stunning — and relevant not just as it reflects on Snyder, but potentially for the future of the franchise. Former Carolina Panthers owner Jerry Richardson sold his team under pressure after it was revealed that he and the team reached settlements with women who accused him of sexual misconduct and with a team scout whom he referenced with a racial slur.

We know the team’s lawyers are fighting to keep the details of the settlement out of public sight, even if they’re at the forefront of public mind. We know that, when The Post first reported over the summer on the offensive atmosphere created for female employees under Snyder’s watch, the owner promised “a full, unbiased investigation,” and that the league chimed in that “The club has pledged that it will give its full cooperation to the investigator.” We know that the league then took control of the investigation from the team.

...That’s why this moment feels pivotal. For there to be public confidence in the idea that the franchise is in fact headed in a new, more positive direction — in on-field performance, in public messaging, in fan experience, in overall reputation — then there must be similar public confidence in the NFL’s investigation into the environment created under Snyder. Right now, that’s hard to muster. Further, when that investigation concludes, the NFL must understand that nothing other than a full and transparent accounting of what was uncovered will sway a Washington community that no longer merely distrusts the team’s owner but reviles him.

This franchise is existing in three wholly separate worlds. There is the course Rivera is charting with the players and the football operations staff, one that could yield an NFC East title as soon as this weekend. There is the increasingly public legal battle between Snyder and his minority partners, three successful business executives who no longer want anything to do with him. And there’s the NFL’s investigation into Snyder’s workplace.

Snyder’s camp is clearly trying to outline a case that his business partners are bitter and trying to plant negative stories about him because if he has to sell, they might get more for their slices of the team. Regardless of their merits, such claims shouldn’t distract from the facts we now know about Snyder’s ability to oversee a company where employees feel valued and safe. Before Tuesday, those facts felt seedy, slimy, gross — fitting not of a leader of a proud franchise but of someone whose debasing of other people devalues his team’s standing. Throw in a $1.6 million settlement because of serious sexual misconduct allegations, and Snyder would appear to have skeletons in both his professional and personal closets.

What a franchise. When you root for sports teams, whether it’s by birth or by choice, you bring a desire for everyone involved — the players, the coaches, even the owner — to be upstanding, hard-working, trustworthy people. Maybe that’s unreasonable. It’s certainly unrealistic. But with Snyder in charge, fans of the Washington Football Team can never fully embrace the organization as a whole because the leadership is ruinous, and something always lurks around the corner.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/12/23/during-daniel-snyders-ruinous-reign-theres-always-another-shoe-ready-drop/

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2