Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster; can he come back?

Riggo777

I think something to keep in mind is that Foster was not a fully realized NFL player when all his troubles began. I compare him somewhat to early-career Lavar Arrington where the skillset and athleticism was there but he did sometimes whiff on attempting hits when a fundamental tackle attempt like results in everything you needed on the play.  I don't think he had Lavar's stubbornness regarding to conforming to a system or instruction so much as he was still very young & raw when his durability issues crept up as well as his off the field stuff.

If he can ever get back to 100% health with the speed and pursuit abilities then he is likely worth keeping around as a valued piece of the defense, but we have seen over and over again the past few seasons what it means when you have a linebacking core that is too slow to seal edges or to get to certain spots before it's too late.  

Apparently, USA Today Sports believes he can come back, and with a different team in 2020, but not the Redskins...whatever that means ( they give no reason why they believe this ).

Their Top 5 possible landing spots for Foster in 2020, are

1. Rams

2. Panthers

3.  Browns

4. Pats

5. Giants

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/top-5-landing-spots-for-reuben-foster-if-he-gets-released/ar-BB13xpvf

18 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

i find this post interesting.  Anyone can look good on a highlight film, what a former teammate says about you also means little.  But as we well knew when a Buffalo fan got excited at Matt Stevens based only on his interceptions fans that see the player every game has a better read than a highlight package or raw stats. But I have to say I'm surprised at your assessment.  

As a rule, never trust any fan assessment that says "He did nothing but"...

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Didn't he just get feeling back in his toes? I wouldn't count on him at all for 2020.

I wish him all the best, and hope his long term health is not compromised at all. From a football perspective though, with his prior injury history on top of his current nerve damage issues, if anybody is expected more than absolutely zero, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play again.

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Didn't he just get feeling back in his toes? I wouldn't count on him at all for 2020.

I think that is news from back in January or February so it has been a few months. Coud be wrong though.

*Edit: Article from January 20, 2020 sites that he recently got feeling back in his toes. So that could have been November, December or January. Anywhere from 4 to 6 months ago most likely. A lot of time. And reports around Feb. or so from those close to the team seemed to be optimistic that he'd be ready for camp.

I watched Foster's 49er highlight reel.

His very first highlight was defending a pass from Chief's Alex Smith.

Now, not only are the both on the same team, but both battling to come back from nearly impossible injuries to recover and play in the NFL from.

Just weird how their paths collided and re-collided at the beginning and end.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I watched Foster's 49er highlight reel.

His very first highlight was defending a pass from Chief's Alex Smith.

Now, not only are the both on the same team, but both battling to come back from nearly impossible injuries to recover and play in the NFL from.

Just weird how their paths collided and re-collided at the beginning and end.

Well let's hope they don't collide while walking the halls of Redskins Park.  :)

Foster might be able to play this year, however with a competent training staff and no clear rush towards making a run for the payloffs, we might see him on the PUP.  That might be the best case situation as he could prove he is worth resigning in 2020 and they could count him in for 2021 where its a more reasonable expectation to push it to the max. 

If he gets  healthy, he will be a center piece solution for RR and Jack.

On 5/7/2020 at 5:15 PM, ConnSKINS26 said:

Weird that someone spent time writing that

Tough gig as a sports writer with literally no sports and a 1000 word space to fill by deadline.

4 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Foster might be able to play this year, however with a competent training staff and no clear rush towards making a run for the payloffs, we might see him on the PUP.  That might be the best case situation as he could prove he is worth resigning in 2020 and they could count him in for 2021 where its a more reasonable expectation to push it to the max. 

If he gets  healthy, he will be a center piece solution for RR and Jack.

If he wants more than a minimum contract with no guarantees as a tryout in a camp somewhere he needs to play this year. It’s a contract year for him and tough to sell anyone on giving you a deal if you have sat out two and a half seasons.

^

49er fans, judging by their virtually unanimous comments to that tweet, seem to be convinced he has all the talent in the world.

And fans have a tendency to turn negative toward a player who disappoints them, or leaves for another team, so that means an extra whole lot.

And he's not just a big hitter, but he looks quite clean in his form, and not likely to draw justified penalties.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2020 at 12:43 AM, HigSkin said:

Who knows but at least he's using that leg.

The brace isn't for the knee. Its for foot drop. Means he still has issues with nerve function.  Its likely not firing 100% so the brace holds his foot from dropping down.  Thats not a good sign. 

3 hours ago, TheShredder said:

The brace isn't for the knee. Its for foot drop. Means he still has issues with nerve function.  Its likely not firing 100% so the brace holds his foot from dropping down.  Thats not a good sign. 

It might be a good sign,  IF the brace is only to prevent the risk of foot drop as he begins his rehab, especially on a fast paced treadmill.  But I'll agree, If he actually has foot drop it's not a good sign

Archived