Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster; can he come back?

Riggo777

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 9:18 PM, dyst said:

Was he really considered borderline All-Pro that rookie year? Maybe I am just not remembering it correctly.

Just looking at his stats, he played in 10 games and averaged about 7 tackles a game but had no sacks, fumbles, recoveries or interceptions.

Guy like Mason Foster had way better stats for us and he was never considered All-Pro so I am sort of just going off that I suppose.

I really haven't watched football in years. 

I used to be glued to it, and even though my interest was declining at the time it was evident that he was an impact player. Stood out on tape. 

18 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

From everything I’m reading, it looks like they’ll keep him in the stash on IR.  And give him one more year to get back to his old self.

If they do that, what will they do about his contract though? This is the last year of his contract...so do they extend him in the hopes that he'll be truly healthy at some point this season or next? Do they let it expire and let him test the market? Seems like a waste of IR if so.

19 minutes ago, Vanguard said:

From everything I’m reading, it looks like they’ll keep him in the stash on IR.  And give him one more year to get back to his old self.

He’s been practicing fully, are they going to make up an injury for him?

Just now, mistertim said:

If they do that, what will they do about his contract though? This is the last year of his contract...so do they extend him in the hopes that he'll be truly healthy at some point this season or next? Do they let it expire and let him test the market? Seems like a waste of IR if so.

I imagine if that happened he’d sign a cheap one year prove-it deal to try to win a job next offseason, he wouldn’t really have much choice given how long it’s been since he played. We’re the only team that showed interest in him before, and though his off-field issues have disappeared we know him best now. 

26 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Isn’t he out of contract after this year?

Yea that’s true.  I think they would have to rework a deal.  I’m not real sure how they will handle this?  From what I’ve read, he’s only getting work in with the third string.

If what I've seen of his recovery and his mindset, if he's so short-sighted that he can't see that an extra year to heal, strengthen, and learn with the team that gave him both of his second chances is his ticket to an NFL career, even a short one, then kudos to whomever wrote the script he was talking.  I hope he turns this into a lesson on perseverance and dedication.

The Jaylon Smith scenario was keeping him on the roster.  Started with game day inactive so he could keep practicing.  Then base defense in-game reps and he gained confidence.  By the end of the year he was showing out and making plays.  Like I said before, I think the script has already been written for Foster in this format. 

At the end of the year they'd have to offer him a NEW contract. 

4 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

The Jaylon Smith scenario was keeping him on the roster.  Started with game day inactive so he could keep practicing.  Then base defense in-game reps and he gained confidence.  By the end of the year he was showing out and making plays.  Like I said before, I think the script has already been written for Foster in this format. 

At the end of the year they'd have to offer him a NEW contract. 

That's been my assumption. We know one of our starters won't make it through the year. Put him on IR, let him gain some more confidence and pop him back in the second half. He's cheap and potentially really worth it.

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's been my assumption. We know one of our starters won't make it through the year. Put him on IR, let him gain some more confidence and pop him back in the second half. He's cheap and potentially really worth it.

Then he can't practice.  I'm getting the vibe that he needs the practice reps to make progress.  My view is either he makes the roster (even at the bottom of the depth chart) or they cut him.  The idea being either they view him as being capable of a full comeback or not.  I think it's decision time for Foster and he makes the roster starting at the bottom.  We'll see what their decision is really soon. 

15 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

Then he can't practice.  I'm getting the vibe that he needs the practice reps to make progress.  My view is either he makes the roster (even at the bottom of the depth chart) or they cut him.  The idea being either they view him as being capable of a full comeback or not.  I think it's decision time for Foster and he makes the roster starting at the bottom.  We'll see what their decision is really soon. 

It sounds like his issue is explosiveness, not understanding. He rushed back and he is probably just not there and we really need roster spots too. He can still go to the gym, train, watch film and study the playbook. It's not like he's just sitting in his room.

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

It sounds like his issue is explosiveness, not understanding. He rushed back and he is probably just not there and we really need roster spots too. He can still go to the gym, train, watch film and study the playbook. It's not like he's just sitting in his room.

I hear what you getting at however in his interview he said specifically that his issue is confidence in his knee.  They wouldn't have cleared him if he couldn't do the cuts and agility drills.  That means he he can do all those things so they can't really IR him unless he gets hurt again.  Studying the playbook and film for many months already.  He said it's his confidence which only comes with real reps.  That's what I'm getting from the info anyway.  TTYL 

The answer appears to be yes, he can come back.

But the original question was inadequate. 😜 It should have been more specific:

*How* we would have come back (fully or partial), and *Where* (because it’s entirely possible it won’t be in Washington)???

Archived