Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster; can he come back?

Riggo777

In my opinion a piece to the puzzle for the Redskins success is Reuben Foster.  I know he has had physical and mental problems to overcome.  The guy was a beast when he first came in the league.  Does anybody have any factual evidence as to how he is doing?  Can he come back and play like he once did? 

26 minutes ago, Riggo777 said:

In my opinion a piece to the puzzle for the Redskins success is Reuben Foster.  I know he has had physical and mental problems to overcome.  The guy was a beast when he first came in the league.  Does anybody have any factual evidence as to how he is doing?  Can he come back and play like he once did? 

Well, he did post on Instagram the other day that his leg is feeling much better. He’s rehabbing, he’s stayed out of the headlines his whole time here which is amazing. I think he can come back and be great. 

I think everyone has at one time or another dated someone that was terrible for them, but couldn’t quite get out of for various reasons. I’m not going to judge Foster on an abusive relationship. It’s hard to get out mentally and physically for both sexes. Can we put the character thing behind us already? The only question should be whether he can rebound from his knee injury. 

I'm glad you started this thread as I too believe a healthy Foster could make a huge difference for this defense. Keep in mind he is amongst a great group of players, many of whom he went to Bama with and they wanted him here badly (according to reports when they signed him). The last I saw was the update that Reuben had regained feeling in his feet and was running. He was shooting to be ready for training camp. That's the last report I've seen. It seems the odds are against Foster after the seriousness of his injury but guys have overcome serious knee injuries before....I'm hoping both Foster and Love come all the way back.

The reason that I stated originally that I want some factual evidence is because 9 times out of 10 if it is an opinion it doesn't mean much.  Being one who recently had stem cells put in my foot for a surgery the jury it out.  Apparently , sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  Nice video Skin'emAlive.  At least we see Foster with a positive outlook and making comments about at least some success.  I believe that a healthy Foster is going to make the defense a top defense.  Go Skins !!!

Nerve damage- such a horrible thing to hear for anyone, let alone a young athlete. 

Without any factual knowledge, looking at that video around the 3:35 mark there seems to be significant deficits in the left leg. 

God speed on recovery Reuben. Best of luck either way

He had a very similar injury to Jaylon Smith's at Notre Dame. Of course he CAN come back. The problem is, that in the NFL, he already had durability issues prior to this injury. Fingers crossed. He could take our LB core from borderline competent to excellent. 

9 hours ago, Riggo777 said:

I'll let you know after I watch "Project #56 ; E60"

I've been thinking a lot about Foster's injury. About 10 years ago, I sustained serious nerve damage when I had a tumor removed from my brachial plexus, which is the nerve center that controls the shoulder, arm, and hand. It took me a good 18 months to regain close to full use of my arm and hand. It's still a weird feeling. When I touch things, it feels as if there's a dried layer of super-glue between me and the object I'm touching. Often, I get that pins and needles feeling when a limb falls asleep. The only thing I can't do is handwrite for more than a few minutes. If I do, my hand cramps up into a painful, motionless claw for a minute or so. Otherwise, I make myself do everything as if I were never injured.  All this is to say that I think Foster could get back close to where he was before his injury, but I wonder if he'll have episodes of pain that leave him temporarily disabled. If there's a physician reading this, I'm sorry if I'm casting things in a less than scientifically informed manner.

I’m sure he could come back. Not sure how effective he will be because I’m not sure how legit he really is or is he just another JAG, but as for injury sure he can.

The Dallas LB supposedly had an awful knee injury before draft, took a couple years but turned into a contributor eventually.

I wouldn’t hold out hope though.

16 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'm not convinced his play in San Francisco was ever worth the hype he gets here. Of course he can come back, but at this point is he may not even be worth a roster spot. 

Boy I don't know about that, he was a beast in SF.  But at this point to me he is nothing more than Junior Galette. I am doubtful he will ever regain that level of play and become an impact player again.  

Reuben Foster was a beast coming out of Alabama. I remember I had him as one of the guys I really wanted at #17 ... and then Jonathan Allen fell to us. I considered it a coupe when we got him and the off-field stuff worked itself out. And then came the injury. It was pretty brutal. I understand why we didn't pick up the 5th year option simply because the $$ would have been in the range of $7-9 million for that 5th year, and that is a lot of cap to set aside for someone who you cannot count on being a contributor.

But if he comes back this year at any point and performs remotely close to his abilities, I presume we will lock him into a long-term deal. He could be the elite LB this defense sorely needs. A bonus 1st rounder, though we would presumably have to pay him some decent coin if he comes back and performs well this year, so we aren't really benefiting from the rookie contract and he'd essentially be a "FA Addition" beyond 2020.

11 hours ago, Bonez3 said:

Nerve damage- such a horrible thing to hear for anyone, let alone a young athlete. 

Without any factual knowledge, looking at that video around the 3:35 mark there seems to be significant deficits in the left leg. 

God speed on recovery Reuben. Best of luck either way

I believe that video is 8-9 months old. 

2 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Boy I don't know about that, he was a beast in SF.  But at this point to me he is nothing more than Junior Galette. I am doubtful he will ever regain that level of play and become an impact player again.  

No he wasn't, I live in northern California and saw nearly all his games. He did nothing but attempt and oftentimes whiff on big hits. He was constantly getting dinged up here and there even in the games he was playing in. That's why when people say he's going to improve our LB group I just shake my head because he's never shown the ability in the NFL to do that. 

Well if there is ever a teammate that can provide insight into overcoming injuries and providing an example to follow its Thomas Davis. Let's all hope that Reuben and TD have been in frequent communication. If the Skins get half of what TD provided to the Panthers after injury from Reuben we all would be thrilled. 

I really hope Foster can come back.  We've already declined his 5th year option, so clearly he's got this year to prove it.  He's still on his rookie deal.  I think people forget that.  He's very inexpensive relative to other LBs in the league.  The risk is minimal, he counts $1.135 million toward the cap this year... that's 0.9%  That is worth it to me to continue the rehab.... 1 year at that number for what he 'might' be able to do with no long term commitment?  That's easy money. 

5 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

No he wasn't, I live in northern California and saw nearly all his games. He did nothing but attempt and oftentimes whiff on big hits. He was constantly getting dinged up here and there even in the games he was playing in. That's why when people say he's going to improve our LB group I just shake my head because he's never shown the ability in the NFL to do that. 

i find this post interesting.  Anyone can look good on a highlight film, what a former teammate says about you also means little.  But as we well knew when a Buffalo fan got excited at Matt Stevens based only on his interceptions fans that see the player every game has a better read than a highlight package or raw stats. But I have to say I'm surprised at your assessment.  

Archived