Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reuben Foster; can he come back?

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

His rookie year he seemed to translate really well. He was borderline All=Pro before injury. 

Was he really considered borderline All-Pro that rookie year? Maybe I am just not remembering it correctly.

Just looking at his stats, he played in 10 games and averaged about 7 tackles a game but had no sacks, fumbles, recoveries or interceptions.

Guy like Mason Foster had way better stats for us and he was never considered All-Pro so I am sort of just going off that I suppose.

2 minutes ago, dyst said:

Was he really considered borderline All-Pro that rookie year? Maybe I am just not remembering it correctly.

Just looking at his stats, he played in 10 games and averaged about 7 tackles a game but had no sacks, fumbles, recoveries or interceptions.

Guy like Mason Foster had way better stats for us and he was never considered All-Pro so I am sort of just going off that I suppose.

I don't know whether he'd necessarily have been first team All-Pro, but in 2017 he had a 81.2 overall PFF grade, which is really damn good, especially for a rookie. By comparison, Luke Kuechly had a 72.5 grade his rookie season and was DROY.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, dyst said:

True, but some guys just don’t translate to the NFL as expected. Not saying he can’t but so far he has been a shell of what he was in college. We’ve seen it with our own guys over the years especially with the injury bug.

37 minutes ago, mistertim said:

His rookie year he seemed to translate really well. He was borderline All=Pro before injury. 

That doesn't mean he'll necessarily be the same guy as he was pre-injury. But I don't think it's necessarily accurate to say his game didn't carry over from college to the NFL. 

This. Reuben Foster translates to the NFL. If he can stay healthy. Good against the run. Good in coverage. Punishing tackler. I personally don't think he's suddenly going to stay healthy, but that's the only question. Not how his game translates and whether he can play at this level. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

If he can stay healthy. 

Enormous "if". He hasn't shown any durability throughout his career to date. There's no reason to suspect that, after another significant injury, this will suddenly change. 

I'm expecting nothing from Foster this year. If he stays healthy and contributes, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm not going to count on it, though. 

3 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Enormous "if". He hasn't shown any durability throughout his career to date. There's no reason to suspect that, after another significant injury, this will suddenly change. 

I'm expecting nothing from Foster this year. If he stays healthy and contributes, I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm not going to count on it, though. 

That is the correct attitude to have. It's the attitude we should have had with Chris Thompson and Jordan Reed and Derrius Guice. We can't plan around Reuben Foster's contributions. If we have a chance to draft Micah Parsons, you still draft him. If you have a chance to sign a good guy, you still do. Anything you get from Foster is a bonus. 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

If thats the case, Rivera should be unanimous CoY.

I mean, we can be relevant in December and have a record of say, 6-10 or 7-9.  There are 4 games in December and 1 last one in January.  If we're 5-6 heading into December, or 6-7 partway through December, we'd be featured in those "In The Hunt" playoff graphics.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I saw on NFL Network, looks like he’s on pace to start week 1.  They’ll probably be smart and work him back in slowly though, I’m thinking?

5 hours ago, Blue Collar Skins said:

Definitely

Jaylon Smith came back and they started him off working into their base defense and finished strong.  i think the script has been written here.  Working behind a veteran like Thomas Davis would be a good situation for Foster.  As soon as he's clearly ahead you just up the snaps. 

• Like 4
On 8/10/2020 at 10:53 AM, SkinsGuy said:

I'm glad Foster is back.

I expect him to be limited and a little rusty at first, but get better as he gets his legs under him.

Definitely a guy that probably needs a preseason game or two for that.  The good news might be he should be no less rusty in week 1 than everyone else will be.

• Like 3

Some in the organization who have dealt with both players describe Guice as immature and sometimes unreliable; meanwhile, they praise Foster for his enthusiasm and willingness to support everyone in the building. No one, former Alabama teammate Ryan Anderson said, pushed injured quarterback Alex Smith harder during his rehabilitation last fall than Foster.

One person involved in the decision to claim Foster in 2018 described him as an “alpha-male Ray Lewis-type,” referring to the way Lewis became a larger-than-life presence in the Baltimore Ravens’ locker room, helping lead the Ravens to two Super Bowl victories. It was an odd comparison, perhaps, considering Lewis’s own complicated past, but one that captured the tangled enthusiasm Washington’s coaches and executives have for Foster.

Nick Saban, Foster’s coach at Alabama, sold Foster hard to Washington before the 2017 draft, a person with knowledge of the conversation said, praising Foster for his pass coverage as well as his ability to force teammates to lift weights and do drills. Washington planned to take him with the 17th pick, shifting only when defensive tackle Jonathan Allen, Foster’s Alabama teammate, fell further than expected. Foster went 31st to the 49ers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/14/reuben-foster-remains-polarizing-washingtons-coaches-are-committed-giving-him-chance/

• Like 5

Washington's Reuben Foster pondered the end of his career after injury

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29662453/washington-reuben-foster-pondered-end-career-injuryhttps://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29662453/washington-reuben-foster-pondered-end-career-injury

"The one thing Reuben has shown since I've been here is that he is doing things the right way," Rivera said. "He is doing things the way we need him to do, and he has been excellent. He really has. He's done great things in terms of his rehab. He's done a great job in terms of working with our coaches."

• Like 2
On 8/10/2020 at 8:57 AM, ExoDus84 said:

To have low expectations is fair.  To Foster's credit he admits that his diet, training, and rehab have changed dramatically and believes in himself.  He's not that literary genius, though his heart was poured out in his interview and he's earned a shot.  I'm bullish on the Foster and Hamilton tandem sharing duties once again. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, kingdaddy said:

If Foster comes back 100% our defense is going to go to another level. This dude punishes ball carriers....JDR has to be licking his chops at the potential of this defense. 

The speed on all 3 levels of the defense would be elite if he were to get back to 90% of himself. The holes, gaps, and windows are going to be extremely tight for offenses in the coming years. 

• Like 2