Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they are at 19, I think there is a good chance they trade back if they hopefully find a trading partner.

Moehrig IMO is the best coverage FS in the draft, J. Holland IMO being the next best coverage guy.  High floor player.   He's not my top desire at 19 but he likely would be the best free safety we've had since Sean.   He's decent against the run, too.

My impression watching him was the dude is special at anticipating in the pass game.  His instincts and thereby I presume preperation look excellent.  He seems to be right on top of so many passing plays.  He finds himself around the ball in the passing game and running game.  That would be quite a change from our free safeties who seem to be often a beat behind. 

We gave up among the highest rate in the league of big plays in the passing game last year even though overall they did well against the pass.  He'd IMO help put a stop to teams successfully going deep. 

I'd be jazzed to get him even though I have some players I like more. 

Thanks SIP. In the event of a trade down I’d be much happier with that outcome. I do like Moehrig, but I don’t love him like I wanted to. Like most I’ve wanted to fill that FS void for the past decade, and he undoubtedly would be the best chance we’ve had to do that in a long time. I do think he’s well prepared, high character, intuitive and a good upgrade at the position. All of that would help improve our defense, but I don’t see him as a big difference maker on the back end. He just doesn’t pop for me when I watch him. Does he for you? 

Despite the great PD numbers and solid INT rate, he seems like a well rounded safety who isn’t really elite at anything (solid tackler who isn’t a big hitter, solid but not great athleticism, gets into position to defend passes but not a true ballhawk etc)... So, I’d be happy with him, but not to the degree I would be with adding our LT/QB of the future, or with adding a dynamic playmaker on either side of the ball like I perceive JOK to be. 

I definitely prefer Moehrig to AVT being the only one of our targets to fall to us at 19 barring a trade back partner. The truth is, we are going to get better and deeper with most any of these options. I just think there is an opportunity or two to hit a home run here rather than just a single or double. Moehrig is the double to me!

I've come around on Moehrig. I'm fine with taking him at 19 assuming he is the absolute best player available. If you can get a guy who's the best at his position at pick 19 its hard to pass that up. I'd still prefer to trade down in that scenario though.

My hope now is that if everyone we wants is taken, that there are some good edge rushers at 19 that teams in the 20s want to trade up for. We obviously wont' take one so we could get some value there.

12 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Quick shout out to all who have contributed to this thread. I've learned a lot and really appreciate all of the time people have devoted to the topic. 

Too true, I am now adequately equipped to know exactly how upset to be tonight!

Curiously none of today's gossip/insider info mentions TE. I think a lot of us were hoping that was a target. QB, S, LB and T I'm good with and it definitely sounds as that is our focus. I guess you just can't get everyone with four decent picks, although if the cards fall right we should be able to at least nail those four with our first four picks. No idea what order though!

1 minute ago, CurseReversed said:

FS, LB and TE in that order does sound ideal, with a bpa at any position mixed in after the 1st.

It would mean ignoring LT and going something like - Moehrig, Werner, Tremble/Jordan which would be an outstanding take and still have one more pick in the 3rd

Just now, DWinzit said:

It would mean ignoring LT and going something like - Moehrig, Werner, Tremble/Jordan which would be an outstanding take and still have one more pick in the 3rd

That would be outstanding, with a QB with the other 3rd?

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

If they are at 19, I think there is a good chance they trade back if they hopefully find a trading partner.

Moehrig IMO is the best coverage FS in the draft, J. Holland IMO being the next best coverage guy.  High floor player.   He's not my top desire at 19 but he likely would be the best free safety we've had since Sean.   He's decent against the run, too.

My impression watching him was the dude is special at anticipating in the pass game.  His instincts and thereby I presume preperation look excellent.  He seems to be right on top of so many passing plays.  He finds himself around the ball in the passing game and running game.  That would be quite a change from our free safeties who seem to be often a beat behind. 

We gave up among the highest rate in the league of big plays in the passing game last year even though overall they did well against the pass.  He'd IMO help put a stop to teams successfully going deep. 

I'd be jazzed to get him even though I have some players I like more. 

2 full years of experience and an obvious head for the game.  Not something that many of the other LB guys have really IMO.  They do have great intangibles though, just need more development.   

2 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Curiously none of today's gossip/insider info mentions TE. I think a lot of us were hoping that was a target. QB, S, LB and T I'm good with and it definitely sounds as that is our focus. I guess you just can't get everyone with four decent picks, although if the cards fall right we should be able to at least nail those four with our first four picks. No idea what order though!

Day 2 is TE/LBer day

2 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Okay!

What do you think will be the biggest surprise Washington could pull off tonight? For me, it'd probably be a trade involving Scherrf.

I'm not really an advocate for a trade up, unless you can do it without paying a king's ransom, but if say our first, one of our thirds and Scherrf could net us Fields that would be wild and okay with me.

4 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I think that excellent Lucas signing buys them some time on LT.  It would be great if they could find a gem in the middle rounds or in a deep trade back but mostly they need defenders early.

JOK would help us. I am 100% sure of that. 

Don't get it twisted. And while I think I'd be disappointed in the selection... I wouldn't be mad. Dude can play.

I worry about some of his angles and aggressiveness in the run game. I worry about some discipline in the run game and I worry about him being a focal point at the point of attack against offenses at his side. I don't think he's the kind of guy that can play inside... yet. Though with a good enough athlete with enough motivation I won't rule it out.

He has every tool you'd want.

He's not my favorite pick at 19.

But if we get him I also know we are adding a blue chipper to the D.

I prefer blue chip O talent at 19 as the boards currently sit.

If DeVonta Smith is there, I take him. I consider Najee over him as well but may pull the trigger on JOK. If for some strange reason Horn or Surtain are there defensively I'd consider them over him. Darrisaw... I'm not sure. His medicals would need to check out at this point. Prior to now he'd be a yes.

My preference is Fields but I don't think it happens.

I still like Moehrig there and think he's a pretty significant upgrade for this team. But I love Holland's personality, attitude, demeanor and ability as well. I love Sterns, too, but he has some injury stuff. My only hesitation with going with Moehrig at 19 is I think we'll have options later.

Werner is still my dude at LB. Like Barnes/Moses/Jabril as well. Monty Rice is a later flyer I'd love. 

Receiver: Amari Rodgers is the steal of the draft. I would NOT be surprised if he went ahead of Kadarius Toney in the first round. You heard it here first. If he somehow falls to the second or third GO GET HIS ASS. Dyami Brown is my other dude.

Gonna be fun to talk about Day 2 and 3 after we see how day 1 shakes out. 

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

What do you think will be the biggest surprise Washington could pull off tonight? For me, it'd probably be a trade involving Scherrf.

I'm not really an advocate for a trade up, unless you can do it without paying a king's ransom, but if say our first, one of our thirds and Scherrf could net us Fields that would be wild and okay with me.

Biggest surprise for me would be trading into the top 10 and not taking a QB.

Is LT truly a desperate need for the team? 

I know we’d all like to get a young Trent Williams type but players of that caliber don’t come in bunches like bananas.

The times I paid attention to him last year it seemed to me that Cornelius Lucas was really doing well. He may have given up a few pressures here and there but he more than held his own and even flashed moments of occasional dominance.

Plus It was only his first year as a starter and I would expect him to be even better next year. -shrug-

Am I off? Just wondering what some of you, up all night film studying analytically gifted brain smart types think.

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan just had a number of reporters on to make their prediction 

Standig just on, he remains pessimistic that they trade up for a QB.   Sheehan asked him to pick a player he went with Koramoah

Michael Phillips (who isn't plugged in so to me his guess is as good as anyone of us) and he doubled down that he hasn't gotten anything source wise.   He went with Christian Darrisaw

JP Finlay, he says he hears they like Koramoah.  He doesn't think Darrisaw, he seemed to be hinting there might be someone there not 100% sold on him.  He doesn't think they trade up.  Picked Koramoah

Scot Abraham (Channel 7), says he doesn't know.  OT or LB.   Koramoah.

Sam Fortier (WP) a read and react strategy, could trade up, could trade down.    Moehrig.

Niki Javala (can't pronounce her name).  Went with Koramoah but thinks he might be gone before 19. 

All over the place isn't it, SIP.  Expected and I like it.  Not the old days when stuff would leak.  :)

A lot of talk about Moerhig, and I like him and like the idea of upgrading our coverage units. 

But how do you guys feel about Moehrig vs. Newsome? I like the idea of Newsome and a FS in RD 3-5 more than Moehrig and a CD in 3-5. 

And I love the idea of having two really good, long, athletic CB’s outside, an established slot CB in Fuller, and two solid backups. That’s a really good secondary. 

Archived