Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

A lot of talk about Moerhig, and I like him and like the idea of upgrading our coverage units. 

But how do you guys feel about Moehrig vs. Newsome? I like the idea of Newsome and a FS in RD 3-5 more than Moehrig and a CD in 3-5. 

And I love the idea of having two really good, long, athletic CB’s outside, an established slot CB in Fuller, and two solid backups. That’s a really good secondary. 

I think Moehrig is a better player than Newsome so I prefer him.

So are the Eagles going to try and trade up for Surtain or Horn? How high will they go to get that guarantee? Don't think there's a real threat to CB until Dallas at #10, so you don't want to go too high ... Detroit would make sense but would PHI be willing to pay to jump 5 spots when they only need to jump 3? Would Denver pass on Slater/Parsons to move back to 12, knowing either could go to DAL or NYG?

And if the Eagles are targeting the same CB that DAL is targeting, does DAL take the other CB or try and trade off of #10? So many moving parts, but typically you end up seeing fewer trades than are actually hyped?

Here are the rumored trades ...

Detroit at #7 wants to move back

Carolina at #8 might want to move back

Denver at #9 could move back

PHI at #12 wants to move up

ARI at #16 might move up for a WR (older news, but something from a few weeks ago)

NO at #28 wants to move up presumably for a CB, has talked about into the top 10 (but probably for a QB if that high)

WFT at #19 wants to move up, potentially into the top 10 OR back from #19

NYJ at #23 might want to move up for an Edge

BUF at #30 might want to move up for a RB ahead of Pittsburgh at #24

Then of course, any of the WR needy teams between GB at #29, JAX at #25, KC at #31 could try and come up if DeVonta Smith falls to get ahead of CHI and IND

Kiper's last mock

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31345391/nfl-mock-draft-2021-mel-kiper-final-predictions-top-32-picks-including-surprise-quarterback-fits-three-trades

17. Las Vegas Raiders

Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

The Raiders' linebackers really struggled last season, and Owusu-Koramoah is the type of defender that Jon Gruden loves. Jamin Davis and Trevon Moehrig are two other prospects I considered.

mia.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

18. Miami Dolphins

Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan

I thought about a running back -- Najee Harris? -- and an offensive tackle here, but Miami could likely find a tackle with one of their second-round picks. Paye is a raw edge rusher with high upside.

wsh.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

19. Washington Football Team

Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU

There could be an opening at safety if Washington moves Landon Collins into more of a hybrid linebacker role. Moehrig is outstanding in coverage.

chi.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

20. Chicago Bears

Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss

Moore is rising over the past few weeks, and he could make an instant impact out of the slot. This pick could also be an offensive tackle.

ind.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

21. Indianapolis Colts

Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami

It's edge rusher or offensive tackle for the Colts. Phillips is a great fit.

ten.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

22. Tennessee Titans

Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern

With slot receiver Elijah Moore off the board, the Titans can fill another immediate need at cornerback. Newsome had a tremendous 2020 season.

ari.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

23. Arizona Cardinals (via mock trade with NYJ)

Najee Harris, RB, Alabama

I don't love teams taking a first-round running back, but Harris could really help Kyler Murray. If the Cardinals stay at No. 16, they could target a corner.

pit.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

24. Pittsburgh Steelers

Travis Etienne, RB, Clemson

The Steelers have needs at offensive line and corner, but there have been rumblings that they like the top running backs. Etienne's pass-catching skills will give Ben Roethlisberger easy throws.

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

25. Jacksonville Jaguars (via LAR)

Kadarius Toney, WR, Florida

Toney gives Trevor Lawrence a playmaker out of the slot to make the quarterback's life easier. The Jags also have the first pick of Round 2 and could go offense there, too.

cle.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

26. Cleveland Browns

Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky

The Browns are another team that could look for a Round 1 slot receiver, but they need front-seven help, too. Davis could be a Day 1 starter at inside linebacker. Zaven Collins and edge rusher Gregory Rousseau are also possibilities with this pick.

bal.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

27. Baltimore Ravens

Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa

Collins is a do-it-all linebacker with coverage skills and upside as a pass-rusher. Baltimore also has a need at wide receiver, and I considered raw pass-rusher Jayson Oweh as well.

no.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

28. New Orleans Saints

Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech

Farley has fallen a little bit because of offseason back surgery, but he's the best man-to-man cover corner in this class when he's healthy.

gb.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

29. Green Bay Packers

Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota

This is the Round 1 receiver help for Aaron Rodgers. Bateman can play outside or in the slot. Don't rule out front-seven help here, either. Offensive tackle Teven Jenkins could also be in play.

Seems like every year there is a lot of talk by many teams trading picks to move up or down.  In reality there aren't usually all that many trades in the first round.  Since 2011 there are only 5.2 trades made in the first round.  From what I've read many reports suggest that teams see value where they are already sitting this year so there may not be much incentive to pay to move up and without decent value teams won't move down.  

With the over/under at 5.2 on trades tonight what ya think?

Im taking the under even with the more than usual number of sexy QBs being talked about.

17 minutes ago, RWJ said:

All over the place isn't it, SIP.  Expected and I like it.  Not the old days when stuff would leak.  :)

Part of it is COVID-19 as some beat guys have said.  No combine where people talk.  And they aren't hanging out in Redskins Park.  Other thing that's been said by multiple reporters in the past because of Dan/Bruce things would leak in part because of disgruntled people in the FO airing out their disagreements but that dynamic doesn't exist now.

I'd say as for common threads among multiple reporters: Kormaoh, Moehrig, Jamin Davis, Justin Fields.  Trask/Mills but they won't force it.

Other players mentioned multiple times:  Jabril Cox. Pete Werner, Cisco, Stokes, T. Campbell, Farley

As for Lance/Fields unless i am forgetting one mention

Fields:  Sheehan, Keim, Standig

Lance:  Lombardi, Albright referenced it

Some mentions they aren't in on Lance.  A couple of references that they aren't in on Mac Jones but not as intense.  No mentions that they don't like Fields.  So i am betting if they trade up its Fields.

If I had to bet right now, they trade back and end up with Moehrig.  Next strongest possibility, Koramoah at 19. 

I have the weirdest feeling that while Keim and others are talking more about Fields lately, and I acknowledge that in the recent past Keim has been plugged in the day of drafts/FA/etc...I can’t shake the idea that the team is actively hiding their interest in Lance, which slipped out early on in the process and has been quiet as a mouse ever since. It’s just a gut feeling, but he seems like the type of dude Rivera would fall head over heels for, personality-wise. Which is probably his biggest thing, especially after Haskins. 

It also plays into my idea earlier last week that Mayhew seemed to be actively (poorly imo if it was  an attempt at subterfuge) smoke screening by going out of his way, unsolicited, to say that they prefer QBs with experience. Just kind of a “huh? who was asking about that” moment. No one thought they liked Mac so that really only “rules out” one dude—Lance. It seemed like a semi-clumsy attempt to hide that interest to me, and the Fields chatter has picked up steadily ever since, almost a united front in the media on that. 

I could be completely wrong.

Here's hoping the trend is reversing:

E0JRyV6XsAcn-Fr?format=jpg&name=large

2013 - 2/7

2 51 David Amerson CB Yes
3 85 Jordan Reed TE Yes
4 119 Phillip Thomas S No
5 154 Chris Thompson RB No
162 Brandon Jenkins DE No
6 191 Bacarri Rambo S No
7 228 Jawan Jamison RB No

2014 - 4/8 

2 47 Trent Murphy LB Yes
3 66 Morgan Moses OT Yes
78 Spencer Long G Yes
4 102 Bashaud Breeland CB Yes
5 142 Ryan Grant WR No
6 186 Lache Seastrunk RB No
7 217 Ted Bolser TE No
228 Zach Hocker K No

2015 - 2/10

1 5 Brandon Scherff G Yes
2 38 Preston Smith DE Yes
3 95 Matt Jones RB No
4 105 Jamison Crowder WR No
112 Arie Kouandjio G No
5 141 Martrell Spaight LB No
6 181 Kyshoen Jarrett FS No
182 Tevin Mitchel CB No
187 Evan Spencer WR No
7 222 Austin Reiter C No

2016 - 3/7

1 22 Josh Doctson WR Yes
2 53 Su'a Cravens LB No
3 84 Kendall Fuller CB Yes
5 152 Matt Ioannidis DE Yes
6 187 Nate Sudfeld QB No
7 232 Steven Daniels LB No
242 Keith Marshall RB No

2017 - 3/10

1 17 Jonathan Allen DT Yes
2 49 Ryan Anderson LB No
3 81 Fabian Moreau CB No
4 114 Samaje Perine RB No
123 Montae Nicholson S Yes
5 154 Jeremy Sprinkle TE No
6 199 Chase Roullier C Yes
209 Robert Davis WR No
7 230 Josh Harvey-Clemons LB No
235 Joshua Holsey CB No

2018 - 1/9

1 13 Daron Payne NT Yes
2 59 Derrius Guice RB No
3 74 Geron Christian T No
4 109 Troy Apke S No
5 163 Tim Settle NT No
6 197 Shaun Dion Hamilton LB No
7 241 Greg Stroman CB No
256 Trey Quinn WR No
6 Adonis Alexander CB No

2019 - 3/10

1 13 Dwayne Haskins QB No
26 Montez Sweat DE Yes
3 76 Terry McLaurin WR Yes
4 112 Bryce Love RB No
131 Wes Martin G No
5 153 Ross Pierschbacher C No
173 Cole Holcomb LB Yes
6 206 Kelvin Harmon WR No
7 227 Jimmy Moreland DB No
253 Jordan Brailford DE No

2020 - 2/8

1 2 Chase Young DE Yes
3 66 Antonio Gibson RB Yes
4 108 Saahdiq Charles OT No
142 Antonio Gandy-Golden WR No
5 156 Keith Ismael C No
162 Khaleke Hudson LB No
7 216 Kamren Curl SS No
229 James Smith-Williams DE No

Fairly straight forward for me if we trade up for Fields or Lance happy days

If we stand pat and take Parsons, JOK, Darrisaw or a stud wideout happy days

If we trade back and take Moehrig, Bateman happy days

If we stand pat and do something like take Vera - Tucker is the only way they could really mess this up, and I trust Ron too much to believe he could mess this up

23 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I have the weirdest feeling that while Keim and others are talking more about Fields lately, and I acknowledge that in the recent past Keim has been plugged in the day of drafts/FA/etc...I can’t shake the idea that the team is actively hiding their interest in Lance, which slipped out early on in the process and has been quiet as a mouse ever since. It’s just a gut feeling, but he seems like the type of dude Rivera would fall head over heels for.

I don't fully trust beat reporters take but I trust the local ones the most when it comes to negative feedback.  The cases where the team doesn't like so and so.  I can't recall a case where a reliable beat guy was convinced they didn't like a player and then that player was signed or drafted.   And if it did, it has to be rare. 

It's usually not in the best interest of FO guys to just blatanly lie to a beat guy.  It hurts their relationship which can be a two way street.  I've been a source to reporters in my own business and I've never blatanly lied to them.  I've obfuscated. I've held things back.  I've misdirected them but never said the opposite of what I knew was about to occur.  

Don't get me wrong, lying does happen but its usually in situations where the reporter/source relationship isn't that solid.  From my experience, it rarely happens with a local/beat guy type with a long standing relationship in play as for the source.  Usually those relationships are sound (people you have lunch with) and you don't want to embarass the reporter that you typically have a good relationship with.    It's always possible but I wouldn't bet on it myself. 

So bringing this to Lance.  

Sheehan is the most adament that its not in play based on conversations he had yesterday

Keim said if they are trading up its for Fields not Lance.  I guess the wiggle room on that is what if they don't have to trade up?

Standig said asking around he heard from a source they are into Fields not Lance as for a trade up target

Then we got Finlay shooting down some fan saying they will trade up for Lance.  Finlay's response "no they won't.

Versus

Lombardi saying they love him and would trade up for him

Albright saying he thinks they dig him.   If I recall he said he heard that from Lance's camp.

I'd bet on the local guys here.  Will see.  I am basing that on my own experiences with the press granted in a different profession.    And the national reporters aren't the ones I trust as gospel unless its the heavy weights who haven't weighed in as far as i can tell, yet.  And locally, Keim and Standig are rarely wrong.

I'll say this if they chase Lance, then well played by Rivera because clearly they had sources in that building purposely lie to the local guys.  And yeah I can't really recall an obvious precedent to that.  Keim in particular as Cooley jokes needs 8 sources before he reports anything because he's paranoid about getting things wrong.   So then multiple sources lied to Keim. 

Nothing is impossible. I can't rule anything out of course.  But personally i am not betting on Lance.  I think if they chase someone it will be Fields.  Will see.  It should be fun.  They at a minimum certainly spent time poking around Lance. 

Edit:  rereading my post, not saying the beat guys are saying they dislike Lance.  It's that they strongly don't think he'd be the target in a trade up. 

2 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't fully trust beat reporters take but I trust the local ones the most when it comes to negative feedback.  The cases where the team doesn't like so and so.  I can't recall a case where a reliable beat guy was convinced they didn't like a player and then that player was signed or drafted.   And if it did, it has to be rare. 

It's usually not in the best interest of FO guys to just blatanly lie to a beat guy.  It hurts their relationship which can be a two way street.  I've been a source to reporters in my own business and I've never blatanly lied to them.  I've obfuscated. I've held things back.  I've misdirected them but never said the opposite of what I knew was about to occur.  

Don't get me wrong, lying does happen but its usually in situations where the reporter/source relationship isn't that solid.  From my experience, it rarely happens with a local/beat guy type with a long standing relationship in play as for the source.  Usually those relationships are sound and you don't want to embarass the reporter that you typically have a good relationship with.    It's always possible but I wouldn't bet on it myself. 

So brings this to Lance.  

Sheehan is the most adament that its not in play based on conversations he had yesterday

Keim said if they are trading up its for Fields not Lance.  I guess the wiggle room on that is what if they don't have to trade up?

Standig said asking around he heard from a source they are into Fields not Lance as for a trade up target

Then we got Finlay shooting down some fan saying they will trade up for Lance.  Finlay's response "no they won't.

Versus

Lombardi saying they love him and would trade up for him

Albright saying he thinks they dig him.   If I recall he said he heard that from Lance's camp.

I'd bet on the local guys here.  Will see.  I am basing that on my own experiences with the press granted in a different profession.    And the national reporters aren't the ones I trust as gospel.  And locally, Keim and Standig are rarely wrong.

I'll say this is they chase Lance, then well played by Rivera because clearly they had sources in that building purposely lie to the local guys.  And yeah I can't really recall an obvious precedent to that.  Keim in particular as Cooley jokes needs 8 sources before he reports anything because he's paranoid about getting things wrong.  

Based off the info, it's Fields and not close.  Just my opinion on what info you posted.  Your just the messenger bro and I get that and this is why I think Fields from the info IF we go QB .  :)

13 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

2013 - 2/7

3 85 Jordan Reed TE Yes
6 191 Bacarri Rambo S No

2014 - 4/8 

2 47 Trent Murphy LB Yes
3 66 Morgan Moses OT Yes
78 Spencer Long G Yes
5 142 Ryan Grant WR No
7 217 Ted Bolser TE No
228 Zach Hocker K No

2015 - 2/10

3 95 Matt Jones RB No
112 Arie Kouandjio G No
182 Tevin Mitchel CB No
187 Evan Spencer WR No
7 222 Austin Reiter C No

2016 - 3/7

1 22 Josh Doctson WR Yes
2 53 Su'a Cravens LB No
6 187 Nate Sudfeld QB No
242 Keith Marshall RB No

2017 - 3/10

2 49 Ryan Anderson LB No
3 81 Fabian Moreau CB No
209 Robert Davis WR No
235 Joshua Holsey CB No

2018 - 1/9

1 13 Daron Payne NT Yes
2 59 Derrius Guice RB No
4 109 Troy Apke S No
5 163 Tim Settle NT No
7 241 Greg Stroman CB No
256 Trey Quinn WR No
6 Adonis Alexander CB No

2019 - 3/10

26 Montez Sweat DE Yes
4 112 Bryce Love RB No
131 Wes Martin G No
173 Cole Holcomb LB Yes

2020 - 2/8

1 2 Chase Young DE Yes
5 156 Keith Ismael C No
162 Khaleke Hudson LB No
7 216 Kamren Curl SS No

Good reminder that even the 1st round, half of the guys everyone is infatuated with are going to significantly underwhelm or outright bust.  Whoever it is, we *need* to hit that pick and come out of 19 with a starter that makes an impact in year 1.

NFL Mock Draft Roundup: Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay both go defense for Washington in the first round

https://www.hogshaven.com/2021/4/29/22399723/nfl-mock-draft-roundup-mel-kiper-jr-and-todd-mcshay-both-go-defense-for-washington-in-first-round

*Todd McShay takes a big swing first for the Washington Football Team and has them drafting one of the more controversial first round prospects in this year’s draft, Penn State LB Micah Parsons.

*Kiper goes in another direction for the Washington Football Team at #19, and gives them a player that has been linked to them recently. Safety has been an issue here since Sean Taylor’s death, and Trevon Moehrig gets the nod in the first round to try to provide a long-term solution.

23 minutes ago, Idaho fan said:

Seems like every year there is a lot of talk by many teams trading picks to move up or down.  In reality there aren't usually all that many trades in the first round.  Since 2011 there are only 5.2 trades made in the first round.  From what I've read many reports suggest that teams see value where they are already sitting this year so there may not be much incentive to pay to move up and without decent value teams won't move down.  

With the over/under at 5.2 on trades tonight what ya think?

Im taking the under even with the more than usual number of sexy QBs being talked about.

Is the 5.2 based on draft day trades?  There have 4 player trades (Tunsil, Jamal Adams, Ramsey, O.Brown) and 2 swaps 49ers with Dolphins, Philly and Dolphins.  So we're at 6 and I'd be surprised with no movement tonight.

2 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Is the 5.2 based on draft day trades?  There have 4 player trades (Tunsil, Jamal Adams, Ramsey, O.Brown) and 2 swaps 49ers with Dolphins, Philly and Dolphins.  So we're at 6 and I'd be surprised with no movement tonight.

Yes, I believe the 5.2 average since 2011 is draft day trades... not trades leading up to the draft or made in previous years for the draft in question.

23 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

2013 - 2/7

3 85 Jordan Reed TE Yes
6 191 Bacarri Rambo S No

2014 - 4/8 

2 47 Trent Murphy LB Yes
3 66 Morgan Moses OT Yes
78 Spencer Long G Yes
5 142 Ryan Grant WR No
7 217 Ted Bolser TE No
228 Zach Hocker K No

2015 - 2/10

3 95 Matt Jones RB No
112 Arie Kouandjio G No
182 Tevin Mitchel CB No
187 Evan Spencer WR No
7 222 Austin Reiter C No

2016 - 3/7

1 22 Josh Doctson WR Yes
2 53 Su'a Cravens LB No
6 187 Nate Sudfeld QB No
242 Keith Marshall RB No

2017 - 3/10

2 49 Ryan Anderson LB No
3 81 Fabian Moreau CB No
209 Robert Davis WR No
235 Joshua Holsey CB No

2018 - 1/9

1 13 Daron Payne NT Yes
2 59 Derrius Guice RB No
4 109 Troy Apke S No
5 163 Tim Settle NT No
7 241 Greg Stroman CB No
256 Trey Quinn WR No
6 Adonis Alexander CB No

2019 - 3/10

26 Montez Sweat DE Yes
4 112 Bryce Love RB No
131 Wes Martin G No
173 Cole Holcomb LB Yes

2020 - 2/8

1 2 Chase Young DE Yes
5 156 Keith Ismael C No
162 Khaleke Hudson LB No
7 216 Kamren Curl SS No

The good news is that NONE, zero, nada of the front office staff that led to that dismal draft performance are still in decision making positions with the team.

That includes (hopefully) Daniel "Just the Good Bits" Pierpoint Snyder.

I watched the Keim video he just posted.

Players he said they know they like:  Vera Tucker-Darrisaw-Koramoah-Moehrig.  He said like Sheehan did that they think Vera-Tucker can play tackle.  They like Vera-Tucker slightly over Darrisaw.

Price is too steep right now to trade up for Fields.  They think its possible he falls to 19 (sounds crazy to me) and they might trade up if the price gets cheaper to do it.  NE and Chicago likely the competition.

He didn't think they are in on Parsons and Z. Collins but didn't say it was much emphasis so I don't know how confident he is about that

They like the spot they are at in 19.  They feel good they will get a good player

Trask-Mills are possible after day 1 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Price is too steep right now to trade up for Fields.  They think its possible he falls to 19 (sounds crazy to me) and they might trade up if the price gets cheaper to do it.  NE and Chicago likely the competition.

He's not falling to 19 but doing a trade up to even 8 or 9 isn't that expensive in the grand scheme. The coincidental part is Fowler, who's a very plugged in guy, saying they are looking into the top 10

35 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

2013 - 2/7

3 85 Jordan Reed TE Yes
6 191 Bacarri Rambo S No

2014 - 4/8 

2 47 Trent Murphy LB Yes
3 66 Morgan Moses OT Yes
78 Spencer Long G Yes
5 142 Ryan Grant WR No
7 217 Ted Bolser TE No
228 Zach Hocker K No

2015 - 2/10

3 95 Matt Jones RB No
112 Arie Kouandjio G No
182 Tevin Mitchel CB No
187 Evan Spencer WR No
7 222 Austin Reiter C No

2016 - 3/7

1 22 Josh Doctson WR Yes
2 53 Su'a Cravens LB No
6 187 Nate Sudfeld QB No
242 Keith Marshall RB No

2017 - 3/10

2 49 Ryan Anderson LB No
3 81 Fabian Moreau CB No
209 Robert Davis WR No
235 Joshua Holsey CB No

2018 - 1/9

1 13 Daron Payne NT Yes
2 59 Derrius Guice RB No
4 109 Troy Apke S No
5 163 Tim Settle NT No
7 241 Greg Stroman CB No
256 Trey Quinn WR No
6 Adonis Alexander CB No

2019 - 3/10

26 Montez Sweat DE Yes
4 112 Bryce Love RB No
131 Wes Martin G No
173 Cole Holcomb LB Yes

2020 - 2/8

1 2 Chase Young DE Yes
5 156 Keith Ismael C No
162 Khaleke Hudson LB No
7 216 Kamren Curl SS No

I’d argue with how they define hit rate here.  So they didn’t hit on Tim Settle?

3 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

He's not falling to 19 but doing a trade up to even 8 or 9 isn't that expensive in the grand scheme.

No way for us to know if it is or isn't that expensive.  We don't know what Carolina or Denver or whomever is asking for.

But like any bidding process, the seller often starts by asking for the moon and then if they don't get it, they come down on price.  I would extrapolate from Keim's point that these teams haven't come down in price, yet.  If I were them, I wouldn't come down either until I was on the clock.   

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

No way for us to know if it is or isn't that expensive.  We don't know what Carolina or Denver or whomever is asking for.

But like any bidding process, the seller often starts by asking for the moon and then if they don't get it, they come down on price.  I would extrapolate from Keim's point that these teams haven't come down in price, yet.  If I were them, I wouldn't come down either until I was on the clock.   

I think they're making a fatal mistake if they're trying to only get Fields or Lance on the cheap. You don't just have top QBs fall to you, you have to be agressive to get your guy. 

Archived