Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

Someone help remind me why Deshaun Watson fell into the 20’s (I was corrected, he fell to 12). What was the narrative? You know besides the real reason, which is tailgate material. But if that happens again with Fields, helping us out big time, it will be crazy. Crazy. Lamar Jackson I could kind of understand, because he was special as a runner but carried question marks as to his frame and passing ability (fair or not, those concerns are still real for some people). 

Watson was the college winner and just do-it-all stud who was shocking when he fell. Fields would be similar. 

Just now, ConnSKINS26 said:

Someone help remind me why Deshaun Watson fell into the 20’s. What was the narrative? You know besides the real reason, which is tailgate material. But if that happens again with Fields, helping us out big time, it will be crazy. Crazy. Lamar Jackson I could kind of understand, because he was special as a runner but carried hit question marks as to his frame and passing ability (fair or not, those concerns are still real for some people). 

Watson was the college winner and just do-it-all stud who was shocking when he fell. Fields would be similar. 

He was drafted at 12

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Can we stop doing that? It’s kind of a no **** statement, right? Can we just talk to each other with the understanding that the team has more info? :ols:

I find myself seeking to turn off my eyes and brain and defer from time to time too, but the past two decades of Washington Football have hammered home to me that I absolutely can not take it for granted that the team's decision makers are better than me.  We should all trust our own eyes and guts.  We're all going to be wrong many times, but that's baked into the cake.  The point is to learn when we are and to drive productive discussion.

Speaking of which, I'm tempted to just lay back and accept that Vera-Tucker is a viable tackle prospect and that he won't immediately wash out at tackle when his NFL team realizes he's a mediocrity there and a far better guard even though my eyes told me the latter is true.  It would be lying to myself.  If we pick him, it'll be one of those times where I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

4 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wow for some reason my memory thought between 22-26, okay that’s more reasonable but still weird, and would be again with Fields. Thanks 

Watson probably should have been a top 5 pick. You never really know what comes up when these teams do their extensive background checks into these players. Any little thing can turn teams off. Teams have binders full of pages, sometimes 100s of pages on prospect's background, measurables, pros/cons, analytical information, anything honestly. If there is dirt to be found, teams will find it. Teams want choir boy QBs, that live and breathe football. Anyone that isn't that, is going to leave some pause with teams with top 5 picks. 

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I find myself seeking to turn off my eyes and brain and defer from time to time too, but the past two decades of Washington Football have hammered home to me that I absolutely can not take it for granted that the team's decision makers are better than me.  We should all trust our own eyes and guts.  We're all going to be wrong many times, but that's baked into the cake.  The point is to learn when we are and to drive productive discussion.

Speaking of which, I'm tempted to just lay back and accept that Vera-Tucker is a viable tackle prospect and that he won't immediately wash out at tackle when his NFL team realizes he's a mediocrity there and a far better guard even though my eyes told me the latter is true.  It would be lying to myself.  If we pick him, it'll be one of those times where I hope I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

I'm kind of the same. I feel like if we take AVT it's basically us saying Scherff is gone and we made a mistake franchise tagging him and we wasted a large portion of our cap that could have gone to a Milano and other pieces to improve our total performance. 

They'll try him at tackle first and, if he's not better than anyone thought he will be a guard by year 2 or 3 at the latest. But they have to show that they "wanted" him at tackle to cover their mistake.

And yes, anyone is capable of making those mistakes. Even professional staffs. I don't think this mistake is the most egregious mistake possible so **** happens. But that's kind of the point. Sometimes WE ARE right. Sometimes we are no where close. Pros aren't pros because they don't miss. They're pros because they know people and have an understanding how all the nuances and background stuff work... And they have the ability to get more information than we ever could unless extremely plugged in. We have smart people here. 

It's okay to disagree with the team.

And as you said... As long as we learn from it and move forward... who cares?

Just now, Burgundy Yoda said:

Watson probably should have been a top 5 pick. You never really know what comes up when these teams do their extensive background checks into these players. Any little thing can turn teams off. Teams have binders full of pages, sometimes 100s of pages on prospect's background, measurables, pros/cons, analytical information, anything honestly. If there is dirt to be found, teams will find it. 

Curious if there was anything about Watson that they found. Given today's situation. Who knows. I'm not insinuating ANYTHING here. I have zero idea. But there has to be a reason he fell that far and given the way things are going for him now I wonder if there was something in the dossier. Maybe even small that made teams wonder.

Or... maybe this whole thing is fabricated. I don't know. I wonder this stuff about every prospect that falls. Now I see why Guice fell (injuries and LSU/Miles stuff)

Just now, Dan T. said:

How long have you been a Redskins fan?

From 86ish-2020. 

WFT for about a year now. So, I'm still learning. 

7 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Wow for some reason my memory thought between 22-26, okay that’s more reasonable but still weird, and would be again with Fields. Thanks 

Aaron Rodgers dropped to 24 in the 2005 draft.

6 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I'm kind of the same. I feel like if we take AVT it's basically us saying Scherff is gone and we made a mistake franchise tagging him and we wasted a large portion of our cap that could have gone to a Milano and other pieces to improve our total performance. 

Man, Scherff being extended or let test the market plus a Milano signing would have the next few days a whole lot easier!!!

So, in my view this would mean if you have a guy you like a lot this year, and you see him as franchise altering, you offer next year's 1st and go get him (Fields, Lance, Sewell)

This sets up nicely for trading 1/4/1 or 1/3/1 to Detroit or Carolina. OR, possibly just trading Minnesota a 2022 2nd to go with #19 (they have about 15 millions 3/4/5 round picks this year anyway)

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Curious if there was anything about Watson that they found. Given today's situation. Who knows. I'm not insinuating ANYTHING here. I have zero idea. But there has to be a reason he fell that far and given the way things are going for him now I wonder if there was something in the dossier. Maybe even small that made teams wonder.

Or... maybe this whole thing is fabricated. I don't know. I wonder this stuff about every prospect that falls. Now I see why Guice fell (injuries and LSU/Miles stuff)

From what I remember of the write-ups on him, picking Watson at 12 sounded about right.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I mean it definitely adds up now. I should post the Denver pre-draft video I saw yesterday, these guys dig deep, it's wild how in depth the whole process is. Maybe something didn't come up as a red flag for Watson, but he probably didn't check all the boxes teams are looking for, that's just a guess though. 

21 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

You never know.  Finley was saying that the chances of a long-term contract with Scherff are now remote and that the team may be convinced they have a one-year rental.  I'm not sure I would want the WFT to use a first round pick on a Guard but drafting one might be a good idea.  I wish we knew more about S.Charles situation.  

It’s not a good idea because we have 2 guards already behind Scherff that have proven to be solid here.

I don’t think it’s crazy for the Packers to keep Rodgers this year. A good draft and they have a legitimate shot at a super bowl. Those are rare. To me, that’s more valuable than starting your rebuild early with a few extra assets. 

And they can probably still get a haul for Rodgers next year. 

Archived