Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Antonio Gibson, RB/WR Memphis

zCommander

11 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

It works when you have a new regime with plans for him and non existent or predictable running backs.

I'm not knocking the pick, its more if they picked him to be a RB its a wasted pick. If you are going to all Love and Guice non existent RBs than I will through Gibson a notch under that as an RB, why? Because Love and Guice are better RB talents, and Gibson is unproven and can get injured as well.

Really like the pick if they are lining him up with McLaurin

6 minutes ago, Skins199021 said:

I'm not knocking the pick, its more if they picked him to be a RB its a wasted pick. If you are going to all Love and Guice non existent RBs than I will through Gibson a notch under that as an RB, why? Because Love and Guice are better RB talents, and Gibson is unproven and can get injured as well.

Really like the pick if they are lining him up with McLaurin

Keim said they will use him at both spots, WR-RB.  and will be in the backfield in 2 back sets.  So it sounds they will use him in the backfield in part to bring some confusion to defenses

• Like 1

Someone asked Kiper this question back in early April:

Which wide receiver is the Terry McLaurin of this draft? (via @Big305Country)

You're talking about a midround steal, right? Here's a name for you: Antonio Gibson. He is a former junior college star who spent two seasons at Memphis and really emerged in 2019, averaging 19.3 yards per catch, 11.2 yards per carry and 28 yards per kickoff return. At 6-foot, 228 pounds, Gibson is not a traditional receiver, but he could be used in several ways by a smart coaching staff, on jet sweeps and screens and quick-game concepts while he develops as a route runner. And he is extremely explosive after the catch -- he ran a 4.39 40-yard dash at the combine. Gibson's versatility makes him a perfect third-round target with upside.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Skins199021 said:

Like I said as an RB it is a stupid pick. WR it is a smart pick. Hybrid is a fancy way of saying he doesn't have a true position. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Makes way more sense as a WR

Yeah put me in this group. 

I like the guy his upside and playmaking ability but he isn't a pure RB. His vision is nowhere close to the backs we have. I think you just need to get him in space with quick slants and screens. For the 3th down back his pass pro needs to be top notch. Can't find any info about that. 

But I must be honest. Was this the player who is going to help us the most? It all depends on how much Turner is going to be able to get this guy on the field and be productive. So I'm a bit skeptical. 

Love the upside but it's a high risk. 

Edited by wilco_holland

He's an incredibly gifted offensive and special teams weapon.  We've got some young skill talent in offense that is pretty appealing.  He's part of the panoply.

I hope they use him as an H-Back like Colorado used Shenault.  Running plays for him from that alignment will create problems for the alley and force men.

my guess is he'll make his initial impact on special teams while he learns the slot receiver position.

• Like 4

The fact that he is going to line up at both positions and KR coupled with our injury prone RBs makes him great value for us imo. Fact is Guise or Love are going to be injured at some point, and now we have a young guy with hella potential in a few positions where we need one. It’s a good pick all things considered. 

just wish he could play TE lol

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not only fast, but comes from a legendary pedigree and bloodline of Joe Gibbs.

Never thought we'd be able to draft Gibbs' son.

Boooooooooo lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's an incredibly gifted offensive and special teams weapon.  We've got some young skill talent in offense that is pretty appealing.  He's part of the panoply.

I hope they use him as an H-Back like Colorado used Shenault.  Running plays for him from that alignment will create problems for the alley and force men.

my guess is he'll make his initial impact on special teams while he learns the slot receiver position.

I agree. Also to have a TE (Logan) that used to be a quarterback, and now Antonio, would love to see more creativity especially with gadget plays.

Love his combination of size, power, and speed. Got to live that he didn't take a beating in college.  

• Like 1

He is kind of in his own category.   Turner fell in love with McCaffrey and he had a monster year last year.   He wanted something like it to effectively run his offense.  Gibson is the guy.  An X factor player.  Pick has grown on me.  Has to be accounted for.  

Edited by Newera
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UKskins said:

Smoot: "What do you want to be referred to as, a WR or a RB?"

Gibson: "I wanna be referred to as a weapon. Wherever they put me, I'm going to dominate."

Love it.

https://www.redskins.com/video/antonio-gibson-i-ve-been-waiting-on-this-all-my-life

Love the whole interview. Comes across as a humble guy. Also love his DC roots and that his family rooted for the Redskins to pick him. I constantly picked him in mock drafts (always in round 4 though) so I am excited to have him on the team. He offers so much versatilty and hopefully we find lots of creative ways to give him the ball. We have a lot of young talent on our team and we also added some speed with Terry, Sims and him. If we can get a decent TE in the 4th that offense could grow into something that can be fun to watch.

I would have also loved to get Josh Jones at 66. Sucks that we couldn't get a third rounder for Trent. If we would have walked out of the third with Jones and Gibson I would be pumped. Now I am kinda hoping for Charles and one of the TEs left. Would also love Bryce Hall if they don't have medical concerns - he who would also be from the area (college), and our team seems to be really valuing that.

Edited by Panninho
  • Like 3

I have to admit my first take was this was a luxury pick for a team with so many holes.   Seems like we already had this guy in the combo of Love and Sims and I would have much preferred the OL being addressed.  I also agree with the draft capital used on RBs.  You can't use the first round picks, RBs in the first round are rare.  The truth is they have spent a lot of 3-4th round picks on running backs recently and you can find guards in those rounds. 

But you can never have too many weapons, this guy is incredibly explosive and I should learn by now that injured players just aren't reliable. I bet Bryce is pretty pissed, he has fallen so far from his monster junior season. 

29 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have to admit my first take was this was a luxury pick for a team with so many holes.   Seems like we already had this guy in the combo of Love and Sims and I would have much preferred the OL being addressed.  I also agree with the draft capital used on RBs.  You can't use the first round picks, RBs in the first round are rare.  The truth is they have spent a lot of 3-4th round picks on running backs recently and you can find guards in those rounds. 

But you can never have too many weapons, this guy is incredibly explosive and I should learn by now that injured players just aren't reliable. I bet Bryce is pretty pissed, he has fallen so far from his monster junior season. 

I'd like to see sets with Love in the backfield and Gibson as an offset H. 

There's so much they can do with sets like that and it gives more flexibility with the tight end sets. Or Love and Gibson split in the backfield with playaction and scissor concepts.

If McKissick still makes the team, a set with McKissick in a slot, Gibson as a flex H and Love in the backfield, McLaurin on the outside and Sims on the outside running vertical. That speed will be a major boon. 

Guice as the battering ram if he ever stays healthy.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

McKissic is a WR turned RB and Gibson is a RB turned WR. Hope Love gets healthy, because those three will be a lot to account for. Sims too.

I'd keep 6 RBs on roster and 4 WRs with all of that flexibility.