Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

I will put a quick plug in for Quicken Loan.  When we refinanced our house in December, I told our agent to come back to us if the rates went down to a point where the savings on interest will cover the costs of refinancing within 2 years.  I got a call back last month.  What's more, they are able to do non conventional terms which meant for us, we make the money back in  less than 2 years and are adding no additional time till payoff as we got a 27 year mortgage.  We will continue with our original payments from before the first refi, and we will pay off much faster.  The deal was worth it for us as long as the break even point is before we plan on paying off the mortgage.  I told them a break even of  2 years simply because I didn't particularly want the annoyance of doing it all again, but really if the break even was 15 years, it would still have been worth it for us.  As it stands now, we just have more breathing room if personal finances require it.

I saw a scary headline this morning, 32% of households missed their July housing payments according to CNBC.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:13 PM, Barry.Randolphe said:

if **** hits the fan, I'm hopping in my car with my family and driving straight for Toronto.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:19 PM, Mr. Sinister said:

Same here. Already looking into it, just so if it indeed hits. I don't have to scramble and find the necessary documents/cash.  Everything will already  be prepared. Just gotta pack. 

On 5/17/2020 at 1:22 PM, spjunkies said:

Y'all really think Canada is going to let Americans in? Good luck with that LMFAO.

On 5/17/2020 at 1:29 PM, China said:

If they re-open the border:

The Canada-U.S. border could be closed for another month

Click on the link for the full article

Update:

Canadians push back as U.S. Congress pressures Canada to reopen shared border

As U.S. members of Congress push Canada to reopen its shared border with the United States, Canadians are pushing back — both in government and on social media.

In an open letter addressed to Public Safety Minister Bill Blair, 29 bipartisan members of Congress called on the Canadian government to plan a phased reopening of the Canada-U.S. border and to consider easing existing measures.

"We are asking that the United States and Canada immediately craft a comprehensive framework for phased reopening of the border based on objective metrics and accounting for the varied circumstances across border regions," read the letter, which was published on Western New York Congressman Brian Higgins' website on July 3.

Despite the United States' plea, a spokesperson for Canada’s Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland told CTVNews.ca in a Friday statement that the health and safety of Canadians is "absolutely priority."

"Decisions about Canada's border are made by Canadians, for Canadians," said Freeland's spokesperson, Katherine Cuplinskas, in the statement.

"Since the beginning of this global pandemic, we have been having friendly ongoing conversations with our American partners about our shared border. Both sides agree that the current measures in place, which are set to expire on July 21st, have worked well in restricting non-essential travel while allowing essential crossings to continue unimpeded."

Click on the link for the full article

43 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Tyrants....lolol. Its a piece of freaking fabric. Seat belts are more uncomfortable and you wear those right?

This is what kills me. 

Yet you listen to them, and it starts with a mask and ends with everyone being converted to Islam.  The depths these folks will stoop to and the mental gymnastics it requires to believe is simply remarkable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, visionary said:
New Jobs tweet  

Here I fixed the title: 

“Yet another tone deaf White House-backed ad campaign aims to encourage people who are unemployed or unhappy in their jobs or careers to go out and ‘find something new,’” AP reports.

There is no doubt in my mind if Trump win re-election he's going to force Canada to re-open their border, even if that means removing it, as part of stabilizing the economy from free-fall. Greenland would be easy after that, they may just surrender.

Is that virtue-signalling? Hmmmph.

I think the mask argument infringing upon ‘freedom’.... is a complete red herring.

Does anyone believe even for a second.... that if Donald Trump told them to wear a mask... that their behaviour wouldn’t change?

I wonder if “Karen” advocates her daughter to practice ‘unprotected’ sex with strangers..... since nobody should tell you to wear protective devices to avoid infection.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Thanks 2