Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

Meanwhile...

Disney World, Rivals Shine on Labor Day Weekend

It's been a busy holiday weekend at Central Florida's theme parks. Crowds and long lines are historically the norm in this industry over Labor Day weekend, but in this very unusual year after a very unusual summer, it has to feel good for Walt Disney (NYSE:DIS), Universal Orlando parent Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCS.A), and SeaWorld Entertainment (NYSE:SEAS) to give the impression that they're succeeding.

All of Universal Orlando's theme parks had to turn guests away a couple of hours after opening on Saturday. They had hit their daily guest capacity levels, something that hasn't happened at Comcast's Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure since they reopened to visitors three months earlier. The same scenario also played out on Sunday. Social media reports out of SeaWorld Orlando and all four of Disney World's theme parks also played up substantial crowds, and long wait time for rides on their apps bear that out. At first glance, it may seem as if the industry is back to business as usual, but shareholders and theme park fans may not want to celebrate too soon.

Click on the link for the full article

Finally somebody writes about hypocrisy of DeSantis opening everything except where he works to public.  The Governor’s office and Governor’s Mansion have been closed to public since mid-March

Well, he's opening up the parts that help the economy.  

• Haha 2

There's been a rumor that the boss wants to open the dining rooms of all 3 restaurants in a limited fashion by the date of our 40th anniversary, October-something. The GM of my store asked me where my comfort level stands, I said zero. He sounded a little frustrated, said he was gonna have to hire new people or get servers from our other stores (neither do even 25% of our business and are tighter staffed than us). Then I went into how nervous I would be having to handle dirty dishes, etc....he then made an offer..."How about running food? You just put it down and get the **** away from em?" :ols:  I said I could live with that, but only with proper protocols in place & I WILL back out if I see the slightest hint of shenanigans or stupidity. 

An agreement was made. Hope I don't regret it. 

• Like 1

Yelp data shows 60% of business closures due to the coronavirus pandemic are now permanent

Yelp on Wednesday released its latest Economic Impact Report, revealing business closures across the U.S. are increasing as a result of the coronavirus pandemic’s economic toll. 

As of Aug, 31, 163,735 businesses have indicated on Yelp that they have closed. That’s down from the 180,000 that closed at the very beginning of the pandemic. However, it actually shows a 23% increase in the number of closures since mid-July.

In addition to monitoring closed businesses, Yelp also takes into account the businesses whose closures have become permanent. That number has steadily increased throughout the past six months, now reaching 97,966, representing 60% of closed businesses that won’t be reopening. 

“Overall, Yelp’s data shows that business closures have continued to rise with a 34% increase in permanent closures since our last report in mid-July,” Justin Norman, vice president of data science at Yelp, told CNBC.

106704630-1600257544299-business-closure

• Sad 2

I'm about an inch away from quitting my job. They're determined to open the dining room on Monday. We haven't been advised on temp checks, mandating masks when guests are away from tables (restrooms), etc. All plates & silverware have already been washed & ROLLED IN LINEN NAPKINS that I wouldn't use...and I'm in charge of laundry. 

Seriously. This is the super stupidity I'm dealing with. 

• Sad 2

I definitely wouldn’t want to work is a restaurant during covid... that said I work in people’s houses so I’m not sure which is worse.... but in restaurants people have an excuse to take off there masks and saliva is everywhere...

seems like plastic forks and knives makes more since... but none of the restaurants I’ve been too since they reopened used them....

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

12 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm about an inch away from quitting my job. They're determined to open the dining room on Monday. We haven't been advised on temp checks, mandating masks when guests are away from tables (restrooms), etc. All plates & silverware have already been washed & ROLLED IN LINEN NAPKINS that I wouldn't use...and I'm in charge of laundry. 

Seriously. This is the super stupidity I'm dealing with. 

Not gonna tell you how to go about anything, just that if you quit, it will probably make it harder to get unemployment until you find other work. 

Well, the boss & I had a talk after the management meeting, where it was determined that there will be no temp checks or mask requirements when we open on Monday. 🤬

I told him I cannot be in the dining room at all, no running food, no serving, no bussing, nothing. I actually cried going into how I've lost my health insurance and I don't have anyone to care for me or my home/cats anymore if I were to get sick. 

I will be on the 3rd party delivery desk, just entering orders and handing them to drivers when they're ready (we have that set up in the party room & it has its own separate entrance with tables that separate me from the drivers). 

He scheduled me on Monday & gave me Wednesday off: I'll deal with it this week. 🙄

This is why Biden really needs to hit Trump on the mask thing.  His continued mixed messaging, and usually out-right lying about the masks is the reason business can't re-open with more consistency, because even when they open, and require mask wearing you have 40% of the population openly defying the mandates and/or starting confrontations about it.  They know what's best because Orange Man & Fox News told them so.

Of course we find out today that The President and his cronies wrote their own CDC guidelines and uploaded them to the CDC website against the wishes of the CDC officials, so the mask guidance'  and testing guidance are now merely what Trump officials want it to be and nothing to do with the actual CDC recommendations.  A whistleblower at the CDC tipped them off about this.  It already happened awhile ago, but Trump officials updated their own lies to make them even more egregious.

I am pretty annoyed you don't have a good number on them on the news shouting about this.  This isn't only going to be a disaster for the covid pandemic itself, but also for the CDC going forward.  They are pretty much saying they were compromised by politicians, but the fact that the BS is still sitting on their website is going to ruin their reputation going forward.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

California's Bay Area may require telecommuting, even after the pandemic wanes

SAN FRANCISCO — Many office workers are doing their jobs from home because of the coronavirus pandemic, and the trend has given some authorities in California an idea: Make it mandatory.

The Metropolitan Transportation Commission, a regional government agency in the San Francisco Bay Area, voted Wednesday to move forward with a proposal to require people at large, office-based companies to work from home three days a week as a way to slash greenhouse gas emissions from car commutes.

It’s a radical suggestion that likely would have been a non-starter before Covid-19 shuttered many offices in March, but now that corporate employees have gotten a taste of not commuting, transportation planners think the idea has wider appeal.

“There is an opportunity to do things that could not have been done in the past,” said Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf, a member of the transportation commission who supports the proposal. She said she felt “very strongly” that a telecommuting mandate ought to be a part of the region’s future.

The proposal was wrapped into a much bigger 36-page package of policies about what the Bay Area should look like in the year 2050, and what steps the area could take to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases. The commission voted to approve the overall plan 11-1, with some absences.

• Like 2

I was shocked at first when I saw this. But then I thought of all of the restaurants, hotels, resorts, cruise ships, airports, etc. that are shutdown and it made sense. 

MORE THAN HALF A MILLION JOBS IN US BEER INDUSTRY ‘WILL BE LOST’ BY 2021

A report commissioned by John Dunham Associates claims that 651,000 jobs in brewing, distributing and retail “will be lost by the end of the year”, while overall beer sales could fall by as much as US$22 billion by the end of 2020.

Brewing roles are expected to be the hardest hit, with the report warning 3,600 brewers could lose their jobs by year end.

“The beer industry has seen a dramatic decline both in sales and jobs that rely on our nation’s most popular alcohol beverage,” said Jim McGreevy, president and CEO of the Beer Institute.

https://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2020/09/more-than-half-a-million-jobs-in-brewing-will-be-lost-by-2021/

• Sad 1