The "Re-Opening" the Economy Thread

kfrankie

On 7/13/2020 at 7:10 PM, China said:

Update:

Canadians push back as U.S. Congress pressures Canada to reopen shared border

Click on the link for the full article

And Canada says No sir, eh.

Canada-U.S. border closure to be extended for another 30 days, say officials

CBC News has confirmed that the agreement to restrict travel across the Canada-U.S. border will be extended into August. 

Senior government officials confirm the arrangement limiting border access to essential travel only will be rolled over for another 30 days. 

The agreement, which has to be reviewed each month, was set to expire on July 21. It's now being renewed for the fourth time since the border closed to non-essential traffic on March 21.

Extension comes despite lobbying by U.S. members of Congress to plan a phased reopening.

• Like 1

OH ****,(as we in the construction business have called them in the past),is pretty much in charge of enforcing mask rules here in the state. They dropped by for a visit a couple of days ago. We didn't too bad,but there were enough folks wearing masks below their nose and a few customers not wearing them that may have cost the place a few points and a promise for another visit.  This could get interesting. There's enough knuckle heads coming in not wearing masks and ready to fight about it to cause a bit of a concern as to if/when somebody gets......nasty about it. 

Who knows.  Maybe in a few months the Republican Party will stop their organized campaign of actively discouraging people from basic sanitation procedures.  

If they think it will cost them power.  

I swear, I think that if the Dems were to come out tomorrow and encourage people to use toilet paper after taking a dump, the entire GOP would oppose it.  

• Like 1

Teens are dressing up as mask-wearing grandmas to try to score alcohol

In a pandemic, no one knows you’re underage.

That’s what Gen Z has discovered as they’ve updated the fake ID for the COVID-19 era, hitting up liquor stores dressed as elderly grandmas wearing coronavirus face masks.

The “prank” has taken social media platform TikTok by storm, with videos of users bedecked as boozehound bubbies — seemingly victorious, bottles in hand — racking up millions of views.

That you get liquor before you turn 21 is, we’re sure, just a bonus.

“PSA: use ur fakes as much as possible bc if you wear a mask they can’t see ur whole face lol,” one adolescent posted to her not-of-legal-age brethren.

“Now that we have to wear masks, this is the best time to buy alcohol with a fake ID since the early 80’s …,” standup comedian Jason Lawhead posted on Twitter.

Click on the link for the full article and video

• Haha 3

On 6/26/2020 at 8:38 PM, China said:

Follow-up:

Woman Who Shamed Starbucks Barista for Refusing to Serve Her Without Face Mask Speaks Out as Barista's GoFundMe Grows

Gilles, 35, has three children and considers herself an anti-vaxxer. She says face masks are ineffective.

She's still at it:

Woman who refused to wear mask wants half of $100K donated to Starbucks barista

A woman posted a photo of a Starbucks barista who asked her to wear a mask. Then, $100,000 was donated to that barista. Now, the woman wants half of that money.

“It was discrimination and everybody is OK with it and enabling and rewarding that behavior,” said Gilles.

She went on to describe the symptoms that prevent her from wearing a mask, saying “One of them I get shortness of breath, dizziness and it messes with the heartbeat. And I do have asthma as well, and I do get mask-acne. So there’s several things going on and not only that but it doesn’t even work.”

She provided KGTV with two documents to prove her medical exemption. One is a pelvic exam from 2015 with results that say “probable exophytic fibroid arising from the anterior wall of the uterus measuring 2.9 cm size,” and “simple 2.5 cm left ovarian cyst.” A second piece of paper is a handwritten note with letterhead from a San Diego chiropractor who she asked not be named. The handwritten note reads “Amber has underlying breath conditions that prevent her from wearing a mask or any type of facial covering whatsoever. Please contact me if have any questions.”

When that chiropractor who wrote the note was called, he said he could not discuss her situation. When Gilles was asked why a chiropractor gave her a breathing-related medical exemption, she responded “because they are dedicated to providing non-invasive personalized care and treatment. They are real doctors.”

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I’m somewhat astounded that the Gov of Georgia is suing localities to prevent them from enacting mask requirements.

It defies all reason.

Im sort of ok that Republicans are guaranteeing that the pandemic continues through the fall, and primarily effects them, ensuring that the economy stats depressed and destroying any hope of a Trump victory. 

Dumb assholes. 

5 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Im sort of ok that Republicans are guaranteeing that the pandemic continues through the fall, and primarily effects them, ensuring that the economy stats depressed and destroying any hope of a Trump victory. 

Dumb assholes. 

I mostly agree, unfortunately I think there will be collateral damage to undeserving people due to their negligence/malfeasance/incompetence (pick a word you like).

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Dumb assholes. 

Not sure about that “primarily effects” deal.  Fairly well established that minorities/working class see a heavier brunt of fatalities and complications.  I’m certain that will be the case in deeply Red states.

Edit:  As a matter of political pragmatism, I get your point.  But consider this...

Despite all the static about 1% death rate and liberal hoax, the GOP powers that be know how devastating the virus is.  And they also know that the cat is out of the bag, the Pandemic will continue here no matter what anybody does.

So, they’ve decided to weaponize it against their enemies at the state and local level.  They can live with the collateral damage.  They’ll pick a handful of deceased minority teachers/nurses/retail and give em the “hero treatment”.

Morbid, I know.

Edited by TryTheBeal!
  • Like 1

Facing another LA lockdown, my favorite bar sold its liquor license this week, but not the real estate. I don't know if it's being taken over by new management or what. It's been there since at least the '80s and was always packed, so it has name value in the community, but with so much uncertainty, I wouldn't be surprised if someone replaced it. 

I went there once a week or two with friends, every week, for 3 years. This is like Cheers closing for me, if it comes to that. The point here: appreciate things while you have them. They don't last forever. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

https://news.gallup.com/poll/315692/gop-governors-losing-residents-support-covid.aspx

GOP Governors Losing Residents' Support on COVID-19

Republican Governors Seen as Less Effective, Caring

While governors' ratings for communicating about the virus and caring about their communities are down slightly, this is not uniform across the country but varies by the party of the sitting governor.

For this analysis, residents were sorted into two groups based on the political party of the governor: this includes residents in the 26 states currently led by Republican governors and residents in the 24 states led by Democratic governors.

There have been clear declines in residents' ratings of their governor in Republican-led states as a whole. This includes an 11-point decrease, from 54% in early June to 43% most recently, in those agreeing their governor is communicating a clear plan of action for addressing the pandemic. There has also been an eight-point decline, from 61% to 53%, in those agreeing their governor cares about the safety and health of the community.

Who ****ed Up Part 2: How States Are Handling Reopening One Month Since Our Last Check-in

covid-july.png?w=562&h=205

Last month, we sat down and wrote 18,000 words in a very off-brand attempt to take a snapshot at how each state and territory was handling closing and reopening during the COVID-19 pandemic. Of those 18,000 words, 149 were “****”, 89 were “****ed”, 20 were “****ing” and we tossed in a single instance of ****er and ****ers in there for good measure. This is the level of discourse we bring to the table here at America Fun Fact of the Day.

The reaction was actually far less angry than we anticipated—we had one guy gripe that our article was “dumb” and that there was a lot of “needless profanity.” Keep in mind, this was an individual who willingly read a punishingly massive article called “Who ****ed Up” so the term dumb is kind of relative, isn’t it?

Anyway, similarly, our follow up to that article is a very stupid and pointless enterprise. You should know going into this, we’re not doctors, we’re not trying to be political but somehow us talking about masks will be viewed as such, and we swear a bunch and write while drunk. If you care enough about our opinion to get upset, you really need to re-evaluate how you consume your news, Tucker.

Obviously when we made the decision to write this article two weeks ago, things looked a little less….um…listen we want to keep this light and humorous because the world is on fire and we might as well play some pretty songs while we go down with this ship.

So let’s do this! We’re going to list every state and territory, showing how they looked in June and how they look now. We’ll do a basic rundown of the initial shutdowns and reopenings of each one, reveal if we thought they had ****ed up at the time, discuss any further reopenings (or, sigh, new closings), and finally we’ll ask have they ****ed up, or are they ****ing up.

It’s very scientific. And by scientific, we mean, what’s the opposite of scientific? Oh right, drunk people looking at charts and making broad generalizations about a very serious thing while shoehorning in some dick jokes. GodDAMNit we didn’t make a joke about Florida looking like a wang in our last article, did we? We should rectify that.

Sorry, we got distracted for a moment. ANYWAY. HERE WE GO.

Click on the link for the full analysis

• Thanks 2

Georgia Massaged Virus Data to Reopen, Then Voided Mask Orders

Georgia Governor Brian Kemp’s edict expressly voiding coronavirus mask orders by local governments capped a week of turmoil in a state once touted as proof that reopening in a pandemic could work.

For six weeks, Georgia had been a model, especially for those eager to end shutdowns. Among the last U.S. states to lock down, Georgia in April was first to widely reopen, after just three weeks. Critics said the state misrepresented its data to justify the move, and they predicted disaster.

It didn’t happen: Covid-19 case numbers bumped along, neither rising nor falling significantly. Pandemic skeptics crowed.

That ended last month.

Although still lagging behind Florida, Texas, Arizona and California, Georgia’s Covid-19 cases are surging. As of Thursday, the state’s seven-day rolling average of newly reported cases was 3,507 -- quadruple its April pre-shutdown peak. Last week, Georgia joined states whose citizens have to quarantine if they visit the Northeast or Chicago. It also reopened a makeshift hospital overflow ward in an Atlanta convention center as local governments tried to contain the surge themselves.

• Sad 2

Putting someone at the door 24/7 is a huge expense for a small business.

Most places will only be able to hire security for a short period of time or have an employee do it.

(Many businesses can't afford to pay a regular employee at the door either) 

34 minutes ago, China said:

Last month, we sat down and wrote 18,000 words in a very off-brand attempt to take a snapshot at how each state and territory was handling closing and reopening during the COVID-19 pandemic. Of those 18,000 words, 149 were “****”, 89 were “****ed”, 20 were “****ing” and we tossed in a single instance of ****er and ****ers in there for good measure. This is the level of discourse we bring to the table here at America Fun Fact of the Day.

This is just great writing.  I have bookmarked this website.  

• Like 3