Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

• goskins10 changed the title to Stimulus Update - 2/27/20 - Biden $1.9T Covid Relief Bill Passes the House
On 2/26/2021 at 12:45 AM, China said:

DOJ files appeal of Trump-appointed judge's ruling on CDC eviction moratorium

The Department of Justice has filed an appeal of a federal judge's decision this week that declared the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention eviction moratorium unconstitutional.

Judge John Barker, a Trump appointee in the Eastern District of Texas, stopped short of issuing a preliminary injunction but said he expected the CDC to respect his ruling and withdraw the moratorium.

But Saturday night, the Justice Department filed an appeal in the case.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

The progressives are really pissing me off with this minimum wage thing.  A good argument can be made for it needing to be raised.  But that isn’t a COVID relief issue.  That is a regular business of governing issue.  Deal with it in that realm.  But don’t try to get your pet issue through the back door of another bill. 

I haven’t seen anything saying Manchin is looking for some kickback.  He thinks it is too big and wants to trim some areas back.  At least his bit is tied to the issue the bill is covering. 

16 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

The progressives are really pissing me off with this minimum wage thing.  A good argument can be made for it needing to be raised.  But that isn’t a COVID relief issue.  That is a regular business of governing issue.  Deal with it in that realm.  But don’t try to get your pet issue through the back door of another bill. 

I haven’t seen anything saying Manchin is looking for some kickback.  He thinks it is too big and wants to trim some areas back.  At least his bit is tied to the issue the bill is covering. 

I think most everyone would prefer that to happen but you have one party that isn't interested in governing and they sure aren't going to raise the minimum wage. This is a multi-year phase in. The GQP doesn't stand for anything anymore so there is no working with them. 

The thing about the min wage deal is that it’s functionally useless as a national policy.

$15 an hour ain’t crap in NYC and yet simultaneously $15 an hour is a considerable burden for a small business owner in BFE, Montana.  It’s not a “one size fits all” proposition.

BUT...it’s a good bit of populist sloganeering and $7.25 or whatever it’s been for 20 years is pathetic.  So, onward we go.

Just do whatever it takes to pass the 1.9T.  Eyes on the prize!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The thing about the min wage deal is that it’s functionally useless as a national policy.

$15 an hour ain’t crap in NYC and yet simultaneously $15 an hour is a considerable burden for a small business owner in BFE, Montana.  It’s not a “one size fits all” proposition.

BUT...it’s a good bit of populist sloganeering and $7.25 or whatever it’s been for 20 years is pathetic.  So, onward we go.

So NYC needs to set it higher.  

1 hour ago, Fergasun said:

@TryTheBeal!

@TheGreatBuzz

I agree that the COVID package isn't the correct vehicle for raising the minimum wage.  I am going to self-cancel in this thread and move to another for further discussion on the min wage.

Probably a good idea.  I've got plenty of opionons regarding minimum wage but the details aren't for this thread.  But in regards to the stimulus package, it should not be a part of it in my opinion.  @Hersh regarding your comment here, I get that the GOP sucks but that doesn't mean this is the way to get it done.  For discussion on how to get it done though, we should probably go to another thread.  I think we have a minimum wage thread??

16 minutes ago, just654 said:

Well ****!  I guess I shouldn't be expecting anything.

19 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Agree with both of these.  Minimum wage should be state-by-state (or even by city), not national.  Or if it is national, it should not go to $15, it should go to like $10.  It pisses me off that progressives are getting snippy with Biden.  First, he gave it a shot, but once the parliamentarian so no-go, it was a no-go.  The relief bill is still a major victory if they can get it passed.  Second, a US Congressperson is a major figure in their own state, focus your efforts there.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, just654 said:

This always confuses me.  Is it $160k gross or is it your taxable amount after 401k and Healthcare is taken out?

29 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

This always confuses me.  Is it $160k gross or is it your taxable amount after 401k and Healthcare is taken out?

Adjusted Gross Income - AGI on your tax return. 

Edited by EmirOfShmo