Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Update - 3/11/21 - America Rescue Plan Bill is signed!

goskins10

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So basically any single person in the $80-$100k, married in the $160k-$200k range is getting zilch based on what Biden agreed to.

That’s an L.  

Why is that an "L"?  Actually working within the constructs of government means compromise. I do not have a problem with people in the higher end of the range not getting money if it means passage of the larger bill and gaining the trust of some of those moderate republicans. And remember, they were already prorated so they are "losing" the entire amount. What I would have liked is for them to find a way to get money out those who lost their jobs but expand the income range. But that I understand would have been exponentially more difficult to manage. 

And remember the Rep wanted $0. That should be the story not that the Dems reduced the top end, who most of which did not suffer from Covid. The very large portion just started working from home. I will especially happy if the use the same amount of money but have redirected to those more in need. 

I really do not understand the idea that becasue you don't get 100% of what you want it's a loss. They got what amounts to 95% of the package. But people will focus on the 5% they didn't get instead of the 95% they did. 

This is not a loss. In fact it should be seen as a huge win. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Why is that an "L"?  Actually working within the constructs of government means compromise. I do not have a problem with people in the higher end of the range not getting money if it means passage of the larger bill and gaining the trust of some of those moderate republicans. And remember, they were already prorated so they are "losing" the entire amount. What I would have liked is for them to find a way to get money out those who lost their jobs but expand the income range. But that I understand would have been exponentially more difficult to manage. 

And remember the Rep wanted $0. That should be the story not that the Dems reduced the top end, who most of which did not suffer from Covid. The very large portion just started working from home. I will especially happy if the use the same amount of money but have redirected to those more in need. 

I really do not understand the idea that becasue you don't get 100% of what you want it's a loss. They got what amounts to 95% of the package. But people will focus on the 5% they didn't get instead of the 95% they did. 

Agreed.  The messaging needs to be a lot better though.  I read a headline that talks about the millions of people who did not receive the stimulus.  Dems need to counter the message with the number of people who did receive help. We’re talking about providing stimulus to folks who make more than twice the median household income.  

• Like 1

Oh it is a big L for the Dems. As I said yesterday this just writes the campaign ad next year. You voted the Dems into power to get $2,000 and millions of people are now left out of that. The Reps will point out that Trump got X number of people money and the Dems X number less money. It wont matter to gen pop that it was the Reps that put the screws to them. 

It's an L.

The people got a $600 check, they were promised $1400 more and now a large number of them won't be getting that, others will get nothing at all. The minutiae of how the poor people who really need it got it, or that it was the republicans who were fighting for nothing at all, will be lost. They didn't deliver what was promised.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

So basically any single person in the $80-$100k, married in the $160k-$200k range is getting zilch based on what Biden agreed to.

That’s an L.  

It’s typical of the Democratic Party to under deliver. I don’t agree it’s an L. The economy is going to be roaring by next year, no one will care much about who got checks and didn’t. 

We’ve come a long way from the 2008 response to the last economic meltdown, which was god awful in retrospect. Obama ended up governing as a fiscal conservative on the issue in hindsight and his public statements about government tightening its belt just look cringe in hindsight. 

The economy is on track to recover above projections before the pandemic started. That’s amazing and almost all of that will be thanks to trillions in relief spending by the government. We moved dramatically to the left this time around in responding to a national crisis and it worked.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That’s an L.  

Any single person making more than 80k, married making more than 160k is getting zilch in direct payments.  Those folks aren't really struggling though.  There are a lot of other things in the bill to like.

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Any single person making more than 80k, married making more than 160k is getting zilch in direct payments.  

And, to clarify, a couple that contributes to their 401ks and purchases health insurance could conceivably have a combined salary of $210k and still be able to get stimulus checks.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, just654 said:

Oh it is a big L for the Dems. As I said yesterday this just writes the campaign ad next year. You voted the Dems into power to get $2,000 and millions of people are now left out of that. The Reps will point out that Trump got X number of people money and the Dems X number less money. It wont matter to gen pop that it was the Reps that put the screws to them. 

The overwhelming majority of people who voted the Dems in most definitely will NOT be left out of it. They will receive it and benefit from it. Many who voted for Trump will receive it and benefit from it, too.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Anyone know how many people make 80-100k?  I bet it’s like 10%. 

16 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Saw that 75-100k is 12.3%.  So 10% or slightly less sounds about right.

Based on this income calculator it's about 7%:  $100,000 at 84% - $80,000 at 77% - 7%  How accurate that is? I am not sure. I am sure there is some error but it looks reasonable. Would be surprised if they were off by too much.

https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/   They have a ton of calculators. 

WTF is this clerk reading of the bill bull****. If they want that reading, they better be in the room for every minute of it. I would take note of each persons attendance to the minute. Talk abotu being petty. The Reps find new ways to go even lower each day. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 5

31 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Based on this income calculator it's about 7%:  $100,000 at 84% - $80,000 at 77% - 7%  How accurate that is? I am not sure. I am sure there is some error but it looks reasonable. Would be surprised if they were off by too much.

https://dqydj.com/income-percentile-calculator/   They have a ton of calculators. 

WTF is this clerk reading of the bill bull****. If they want that reading, they better be in the room for every minute of it. I would take note of each persons attendance to the minute. Talk abotu being petty. The Reps find new ways to go even lower each day. 

I think the clerk should ad-lib occasionally.  And just roast Cruz, McConnell, Paul, Rubio, etc.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Any single person making more than 80k, married making more than 160k is getting zilch in direct payments.  Those folks aren't really struggling though.  There are a lot of other things in the bill to like.

I don't like to play the 'aren't really struggling though' game when it comes to arbitrary figures blanketed across the country, that don't account for changes in circumstances.  That's not a Biden issue, that's an issue overall with how this money is doled out.  

We can see things for how they are all we want, but at the end of the day - the folks on the outside looking in will see it as a democratic campaign promise that they failed to deliver on.  That's what I mean by this is an 'L'.  

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

2k to 1400 to 0.

a lot of people are gonna feel lied too.  Biden promised 2K in exchange for getting everyone to ride the blue wave and now they aren’t getting what they feel he promised.

If government spending matters, I agree that rolling back/scaling back direct payments makes sense.... 

The problem is the more our deficit goes up the less and less government deficit spending seems to matter.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

3 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

2k to 1400 to 0.

a lot of people are gonna feel lied too.  Biden promised 2K in exchange for getting everyone to ride the blue wave and now they aren’t getting what they feel he promised.

If government spending matters, I agree that rolling back/scaling back direct payments makes sense.... 

Most of that people at those income levels are more interested in finding places to spend their money, than getting money into their pockets from the government. 

I still think it’s dumb politics because that income group would have put that money right back into sectors of the economy that were struggling. It would have been efficiently redistributed.

But it’s really not that big of a deal.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don't like to play the 'aren't really struggling though' game when it comes to arbitrary figures blanketed across the country, that don't account for changes in circumstances.  That's not a Biden issue, that's an issue overall with how this money is doled out.  

We can see things for how they are all we want, but at the end of the day - the folks on the outside looking in will see it as a democratic campaign promise that they failed to deliver on.  That's what I mean by this is an 'L'.  

Fair enough.  I guess my response is that reasonable people will see that Biden proposed what he promised and got zero support from the GOP.  I guess some folks will see it as not fulfilling the promise, but a lot of folks will (1) see that he did get it done for the vast majority of people in need and (2) the other side would have done exactly nothing.  Next, I'd argue that this bill has a TON of other stuff to like because Biden didn't go small, which is a big fat W.  

And not that it try to explain it to voters, but there are really good economic arguments that the bill is too big at 1.9 trillion.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/03/04/stimulus-vaccines-checks-spending-unemployment-biden/

Constance Hunter, chief economist at KPMG, said the bill could be $1.5 trillion given the reality of the current economic upswing. The vast majority of business economists think injecting around $1 trillion more would be sufficient, according to a recent survey by the National Association for Business Economics.

I'm not sure how big this thing ends up ultimately being, but I think it would be really tough for the GOP to take the position that Biden didn't do enough when (1) the bill is historically big and (2) they wanted to do nothing.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

2k to 1400 to 0.

The people who are now getting zero were never promised 2000 or 1400.  They didn’t get the 1200 or 600 in 2020.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

The people who are now getting zero were never promised 2000 or 1400.  They didn’t get the 1200 or 600 in 2020.

Pretty much. I make just under $100k and got something like $540 from the first stimulus last year and nothing from the other one. Of course I was hoping to get something this time around, but figured it was a long shot. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I thought they lowered the caps from 75k to 60k.  

They didn’t get the full amount, but whatever they were promised they are getting less.

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

2k to 1400 to 0.

Anyone who feels lied to is just doing so to whine. And it's not $2k to $1400 to 0.  All of those not getting checks got prorated checks to begin with. So the amount is smaller as you get to the higher end so a fair number of those people will be complaining about a check <$100. The % of people in the $80k to $100k income range is 7% based on an income calculator I found - and sorry most of them do not need the money.

Not directed at you - Personally i believe those seeing it as they were lied to are jsut looking for any excuse to whine. There is so much in the bill beyond this money to be glad about. 

• Thanks 3

Just now, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I thought they lowered the caps from 75k to 60k.  

They didn’t get the full amount, but whatever they were promised they are getting less.

I don’t believe they lowered the caps.  I read yesterday that they were still 75/150.  I’d be happy to be shown differently if I’m incorrect.

• Like 1